Wrapping a palm for winter

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by P Jeffries, Nov 29, 2021.

1. P Jeffries

P Jeffries Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Could anyone tell me how many layers of garden fleece I should wrap around the leaves of my windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) to protect it from frost and winter winds?

Although I know these palms are hardy, I've been advised to protect the leaves during winter when the tree is young/newly planted.

The tree is about four feet tall (six or seven including the leaves) and has been planted for about six months.

I live in the southeast but the tree is planted in an exposed area that can be subject to cold, northerly winds in winter.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I'd still not wrap it even though it is newly planted.

If they get strong winds during winter they will always have a tattered look, even when established.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    I have never bothered, I have a few of these, some from seed some bought as young plants and none ever showed any signs of wind or frost damage, apart from looking tatty as pete says - but that happens at any time of the year. I'm on a very exposed northern hill side, in the South. They have taken -15C. I lop off the really tatty looking ones every year to tidy them up. If you want a Tracy that doesn't get blown about too much you need T. Wagnerianus which has shorter stouter leaves.

Have a go at wrapping if you really want but I wonder if it might make it worse in strong winds. Unwrapped the wind whistles through the fronds, but wrapped they might act like sails and rock the whole thing about..

• Like Like x 1
    • P Jeffries

P Jeffries Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks guys, but I'd prefer to be on the safe side for the first year or so - the tree cost me a lot of money so I don't want to lose it in the first winter - this year's is already looking to be a bad one!

I've already wrapped my tree with three layers but I'm asking the question because a neighbour wondered if this was too many.

As for the leaves acting like sails when wrapped, it actually does the opposite. I gathered the leaves together before wrapping so their profile is just a little bit bigger than the trunk.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,040
        Well, I'm not a big fan of wrapping something once and not taking the wrapping off until spring, palms do tend to slowly tick over during mild spells in winter, so personally I'd suggest not wrapping unless really arctic condition are forecast, by that I mean below zero for a number of days.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,909
        Unless it's one of the species that is only hardy to -6c, like latisectus, martianus and oreophilus, I'm going to say don't wrap. If you're worried about leaf desiccation in the wind, you'll find a waxy layer on the leaves as far down as the petioles, this is their natural protection.
        Trachys are hardy to probably -17c. If you're still not convinced, a very loose fleece wrap should help you sleep at night, but it can also do more harm than good if it's too thick.
        For the record, I do not wrap my palms. I have a lot including seven types of trachycarpus, four types of chamaerops, three brahea, a couple of trithrinax, phoenix, chamaedorea....only the rhapis gets moved under the gazebo

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
          Ratings:
          +29,474
          If the trunk is around 4ft high then it is a good size and will be hardy enough without wrapping.

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,040
            Only slight worry I would have is how soft it has been grown.
            If its just been imported from say, Spain, and has never seen a frost in its lifetime it could scorch a bit I suppose.

• P Jeffries

P Jeffries Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            Yes, it came in from Spain this spring, so is probably still adapting to the less-friendly climate of Blighty.

How does wrapping the tree cause harm?

Perhaps I could just reduce the number of layers of fleece?

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,040
            I'd not say wrapping would do any harm as long as the plant can still breathe.
            If not you could cause dampness to build up in the crown and after a few months rot could set in, which is why I don't like continuous wrapping.
            If the wrapping allows full air flow then you have to ask is it really doing anything.
            I've not found fleece to provide much protection if it's actually touching the plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • P Jeffries

P Jeffries Gardener

Ratings:
              +4
              OK, thanks for your comments, everyone - I'll reduce the layers of fleece!

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1