Reduced Wyevale 70% off seed potatoes, onion sets, garlic, dahlias, etc.

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Scrungee, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    • Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,630
      There was a good selection in my local Wyevale, bought this pack of 12 'Dinner plate' Dahlias for £5.40 reduced from £18. Works out at 45p per tuber, a proper bargain and just what I need for cut flowers at the allotment:
      WP_20170427_22_15_55_Rich.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,996
        @JWK what's the condition of the tubers?

Take cuttings from those each year and you'll have a massive bed of them in no time. A neighbouring grower used to place his saved tubers in damp compost in his greenhouse every spring and takè fresh cuttings every year, marking the best plants and only bothering to lift those tubers once the tops were frosted.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,630
        It was a bit of a gamble as dahlias left in packaging at this time of year can have great long sprouts that easily get damaged, these were OK. About half the tubers are just starting to sprout, the others seem plump but time will tell if they get going.

I got some cheap ones last year in late May and they repaid me with loads of cut flowers, I didn't dig them up so it will be interesting to see if they survive over-winter in the ground at my allotment. It's quite clayey there unlike my chalky soil at home where dahlias keep coming back year after year left to their own devices.

Nearly all the cuttings I took in mid-march of my expensive (£5 each) Dahlias have struck so I've now got 10 new plants from the original 6 - they are really easy to do.

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,996
          Seed spuds were all reduced to £1 a bag when I called into Wyevale, Bicester, Oxon today and their shelves were still full of 2Kg bags of every variety. As it's getting a bit late bought a 2Kg bag of Sarpo Mira (80% off, was £5), not my most favourite variety, but 21 tubers and blight resistance was my main consideration as they'll still be around late in the season.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: May 6, 2017