1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow circles in new Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Sargan, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    About 4 weeks ago I had a new lawn laid with Rolawn Medallion turf
    This was over 4" layer of new topsoil, and treated with pre-turf fertilizer

Several round circles of yellow grass has appeared .... see sample pic s attached ..... is this a disease that requires treatment, or is this caused by cats ?

Either way - what is best way to deal with it ... welcome your advice

2. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
  3. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    20181105_135400.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,614
      Looks like a dog to me, could be a fox perhaps.:scratch:

• Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
      +114
      If it is dogs/cats, you could cut out the affected area; quite deep.
      Then fill the hole with compost, pack it down and then re-seed with grass seed ?
      Hope this might help ? :dunno:

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Agree it looks like some sort of animal. Petemz's advice is fine except unless you live in a very mild part of the world I wouldn't bother to reseed until spring as the seed need some warmth to germinate. If left alone the new grass will probably fill in the bare patch in time without any intervention from you. I had HUGE brown patches on my grass after letting our horse graze on it when the grass conked out in his field due to the scorching summer and he thanked me by piddling on it 4 times:rolleyespink: 4 days running.
      This was in about August time. The patches have already got considerably better and hopefully will disappear during the spring of next year.
      As proof of horse being IN the garden!.....
      004.JPG

• Like Like x 3
      • Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
        +114
        Hi Sargan, you could also try putting some compost in a seed tray, levelling it out then planting it with grass seed.
        Then placing it in a warm place, the seeds should germinate, then you can cut out the affected area on your lawn, then cut a section out of the grass you've grown in the seed tray and place it in the hole as I described before. Don't forget to harden the grass off in the tray outside before planting.
        I hope this might help ?

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        That’s one big chap!

Yep, chances are with the wet weather flushing away the area it will pop back to life if it’s caused by urine.
        I take it you have not applied any type of chemical.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Actually @Liz the pot he isn't that big a horse. The photo makes him look bigger/fatter than he is. One of his various names is Tiddles because he is smaller than the other horses we have had over the years. He doesn't look it now but was a top class competition horse. After quite a few years of retirement and being decidedly lazy he has somewhat gone to seed but a happy chap! We are just about to buy our 1st big bale of hay for this winter. it is going to be VERY expensive due to the incredibly hot and dry year. I fear for many herbivors this winter. We now only have 1 horse to feed and look after so not too much of an issue. It will be for those with many. Sorry gone off topic!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
          +34
          No dogs have access - I do occasionally see foxes.

I removed and levelled ground, imported 26 T of screened topsoil, applied a pre-turf establishment fertilizer .. and turfed with quality turf.
          No treatment since ... and yellow circles appeared after about 3 weeks - before my first cut - so nothing I have done.
          They have not grown bigger - so not 'growing'

I did have some off cuts of turf .... laying growing happily on one of my veg raised beds. Have thought about making a card pattern ... something like 8" square ... cut out squares in lawn and drop in new squares ..... or shall I just leave it alone.