yellow leaves dropping off, tiger eye floribundi

Discussion in 'Roses' started by berarde, Sep 6, 2024.

1. berarde

berarde Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I see from previous threads that there are a number of causes of yellowing leaves so I wondered if a photo might give some clue.

It was a new rose container planted in the spring. I noticed a yellowing leaf or two not so long after planting, but it has now become extensive.

I planted it with rose food and gave a second dose after the yellowing increased as I thought it might be lack of a trace element

It's not been overwatered, just kept moist.

I've never seen spider mite but there aren't black dots and nothing moving around.

I'm not experienced with roses, but loved this one in particular

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I just wonder if the pot is big enough, not for long term anyway.

The plant looks basically healthy so it could just be natural leaf loss.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    It looks to be in shade. Roses need a lot of sunlight, six hours a day if possible but will cope with three - when it shines of course. :)

Don't feed it any more this year. Roses need to rest over the winter months (dormancy) and the last feed is usually best given in July, allowing it to slowly shut down as autumn appears.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,562
      I'm wondering if your rose might be happier planted in the ground? I have a concrete pot, which looks much like yours (it has carved animals around the sides) and it's not very big and the drainage hole can get blocked. I stand it on some broken crocks to let water come out the bottom.

Otherwise my roses often have some yellow leaves, which then drop off.

Sometimes I think they get stressed with the change in weather and of course replanting.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,080
      I agree that the pot isn't big enough. It should be at least 60cm tall.

Did you feel into the compost to find out if it was moist lower down? Roses in pots need quite a lot of watering. Better a can full every 2 days in summer than a sprinkle every day. This also washes out nutrients so they need feeding more often than a rose in the ground. When compost dries out it's very difficult to re-hydrate it.

What sort of compost did you use? Ordinary multi-purpose isn't robust enough. You can use half compost and half John Innes 3 which has loam in it, or topsoil and add some well rotted manure.

• Like Like x 2