yellow lichen on contorted willow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mollymalone, Sep 11, 2009.

1. mollymalone

mollymalone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had planted an approx 3 yr old contorted willow tree over 3yrs ago so now 6 yrs old in the surrounding area of a resevoir.
    I planted it as a memorial tree but over the past 12/18 months it has developed a yellow lichen on the branches and the bark is now starting to peel. Last year and again this year several branches have died and they just snap and they are completely dead.
    Other branches have some small dead branches with some that have a few leaves on.
    The top of the tree seems to be ok, but it is very noticable that there are branches that have died. Last year I trimmed off quiet a few dead branches but it is still continuing to go one. I really do not want to lose this tree, what can I do. It is planted in a small clearing it has young Oaks as its neighbours. It does get some sun, and is planted about 3 meters at least from any water and about 2 meters higher than the water on the bank.
    The other flora seems to be ok why is my tree affected.:scratch:

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Molly lichen on trees does no harm the branches are not dying because of it,the problem is exacerbated by the moist atmosphere off the water,certain surfaces are more attractive to certain lichens elms are another favourite,the only thing you can do is keep the area clear and give they area a good air flow,there is no chemical cure, although to some it is considered unsightly it will not kill your tree.

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like the tree has a problem, but the lichen isn't causing it. I would say the willow is diseased, but i couldn't diagnose what.

4. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi mollymalone,

Lichen is a bryophyte, meaning that it uses surfaces such as trees and stones to grow on, yet it is not invasive or parasitic - unlike mistletoe. As previously stated it will cuase no damage to the tree, although you may find it unsightly.

Crown/branch dieback can be a natural occurance if the tree deems a branch no longer fit for purpose, or it can be a sign of disease or infection. If you are able to post a number of photos of the tree, including some close ups of the affected bark and leaves, then this could help in providing you with an answer.