1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Sweetcorn

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Phoenix, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not been long since my last post, since then it appears I have a problem with nearly all of my sweetcorn. First of all the aphids are really having a go at it (what's the best way to get rid of these besides squashing them?

More importantly the new growth seems to be very yellow, some is almost completely yellow others are just very stripey, google shows allsorts of things it can be, the obvious one being a corn flea but there is no evidence of this and it seems pretty unlikely so i'm guessing it's more to do with some kind of nutrient deficiency or over/under watering. Also one of my squash plants looks normal, the other has strange patches on all the leaves, both appear to be growing perfectly though, any ideas?

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,698
    The squash I would say is OK at the moment, those leaf spots are fairly normal.

The sweet corn is probably OK as it looks healthy, but it might be short of a bit of nitrogen, never tried growing it in pots.
    I think constant feeding will be required.

3. Phoenix

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete, the yellowing issue is affecting those in the ground aswell at the same rate strangely, the younger plants re not showing signs as much as the larger ones.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,698
    Perhaps its a trait of the variety you are growing, as I say it look healthy.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Use a very dilute spray of pure soap every other day to get rid of bugs. Mix up 1 teaspoonful of Stergene (available from Asdas) in 1 pint of water, volumes are not critical.

You need to move your sweetcorn plants together in a square pattern (if possible) to aid pollination.

I'm not sure about the yellow colour, you could try a nitrogen rich feed to perk them up.

6. Phoenix

Ratings:
    +0
    I gave them a dose of lawn feed this evening which is high in nitrogen so will see what happens over the next few days, the plants in pots will be moved into a block with the ones by the wall when they start to flower, the majority of the plants are planted in a block already, thanks.

7. Phoenix

Ratings:
    +0
    This is getting worse, the new growth is almost white now and they've barely grown at all over the last week compared to before. I've dosed them with Nitrogen and after some investigation it just doesn't look like nitrogen deficiency, the only similar photos I can find suggest Sulphur deficiency but it's only a minor nutrient and just seems so wierd to affect pots and ground at exactly the same time. No idea what to do.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the soil in the pots the same soil from the garden ?

Oh, stupid question, i just looked at the pics.

If the pots are different soil yet both plants are affected then i'd suspect a virus

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0