1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Tomato leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Apr 23, 2011.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

My Tomato plants are growing OK about 3" high although the leaves look a bit yellow, any ideas what could be causing this they are Gardeners Delight and Beefsteak planted in compost from the same bag as last year and I don't recall having any yellowing of the leaves.
    I have been bringing them in at night if the temperature is forecast near 10*

Thanks

Dave

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Saw something on Gardener's world last night and Monty was suggesting that yellowing of tomato seedling leaves or indeed most seedlings simply means that they are ready to potted on or pricked out and potted up.....??

3. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Bilbo

I have researched a bit into this and it appears there is a magnesium deficiency so I have purchased some epsom salts from the local garden centre (£5 if you don't mind) and have sprayed the plants lets hope that sorts it out

Dave

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Yes, it might be, but it would be unusual in young plants. But the spray won't hurt, and you'll probably need some a bit later in the season.

Was probably much cheaper at the garden centre than it would have been if you had bought it at a chemist :thumb:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,051
    It's unlikely to be magnesium deficiency yet, but as Kristen say it won't hurt to try. I would say your seed compost may have run out of nutrients. I would pot them on or give them a half dose of tomato feed.