yikes - blackspot!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mztrouble, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I have blackspot on all three of my roses (2 ramblers, 1 rose bush) what do I do?? There is so much conflicting advice on the internet and I do so want them to look pretty this summer! How can I help them?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello MzT,

Remove and dispose of the affected leaves-in the bin not the compost heap-don`t drop a single one, and spray with a fungicide-Bordeau Mix is the recommended product-you can buy it from a garden centre.

And mulch the base of the roses with a good layer of compost just in case there are any already there that are infected. I don`t think it actually can live in the soil but can be splashed up off the ground (if there are any dropped leaves) and blown in on a windy and rainy day. Curse the clean air act-(only kidding)apparently they never had it before then with the sulphur in the air.

It isn`t a guaranteed cure but it helps.

It will require repeat treatments throughout the year-just don`t spray it on a windy day-you`ll end up all blue-and nine times out of ten you will have effectively treated a plant some ten metres away lol.

Woo will be along soon-he`s the one for roses.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I spray regularly with either 2 tsp flowers of sulphur to 4.5 litres of water or 80g copper sulphate to water or rovral wp or systane (nimrod T) The latter are comercial products.

All work but the trick is to spray regularly, weekly in humid weather.

4. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    right, chopped, infected bit disposed of and mulched around them (good for a feed anyway :-) ) so just need to spray which I will collect on the way back from work tomorrow - phew! Thanks. I;'m so good in the summer, didn't realise blackspot could spread this time of year - grrrrr! Good lesson to have learned!

Thanks!

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I myself have only just realised the necessity of regular sprayings with bordeaux mix, I would also buy a pump action sprayer for this job, it cuts down on the repetitive strain injury lol.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    claire, you can leave out the lime and simply use copper sulphate, this way you get no leaf residue.

85g coper sulphate to 4.5 litres water.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have used up my mix so will have a bash at this one-thankyou very much Paul, you`re an angel.

8. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the tips. The roses are growing very enthusiastically and (touch wood) no sigh of blackspot again as well - yay!

9. Snappers

Snappers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you should spray all roses with this mix? Not just ones infected with blackspot?
    If so, how often? What is the best mix to use?
    Can it affect any other crop, I.E some of my roses are next to raspberrys and the other side is rhubarb

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    As far as I am aware it only kills fungal growth. You can either use Pros mix or buy a proprietary mix ( Bordeaux mix) but that does leave a blue residue on the plant, so I am gonna give Pros mix a try and see how that works.

You should spray every couple of weeks with it-more often when the weather is wet or humid-even if it washes it off and it seems pointless-that's the very time it needs it.

Some roses are resistant to blackspot but that doesn't mean immune or that the spores won't blow in.

11. Snappers

Snappers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pro, Which would you say works the best? Where is the best place to buy these from?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flowers-of-Su...14&_trkparms=72:1688|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

Is this the stuff you mention and if so, is it a good price?