1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yippee!! Yum Yum!! Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by shiney, Jul 7, 2008.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,348
    As some of you know, I take a chance each year by starting some of my beans off in the greenhouse and then planting them out earlier than recommended. Some years the frost gets them and some years it doesn't.

This year it didn't :thumb: :) and, although I have picked the odd bean so far, I have just picked my first full meal of them. Gonna have them tonight :D

[​IMG]

I plant the seeds in succession over quite a period of time and so they go out into the garden over a couple of months. Usually by August they seem to have got to the same stage but the later plantings last a bit longer.

These photos were taken this afternoon. Notice the sunshine :thumb: :D

These 'Polestar' that I have just picked were planted out late April. (Just the end of the row near the camera)

[​IMG]

These 'Armstrong' were planted out the second week in May and are catching up to Polestar. They are a more prolific plant.

[​IMG]

These 'White Lady' were planted out three weeks later.

[​IMG]

These 'Mergoles' (Thanks, Kandy :thumb:) were planted in the greenhouse on the 22nd May and planted out the week after White Lady.

[​IMG]

And these 'Galaxy' (not planted by us) were rescued from being very pot-bound with the leaves all yellow and planted out two weeks ago. They are just recovering.

[​IMG]

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Shiney, I have never had much success with runner beans but I guess that is my fault. I'm learning that I simply must improve the soil condition in both my veg patches.

What is that fabric you have laid down round the plants? I guess it helps smother weeds but what is it and where do you get it from? And how do you water your runner beans with that fabric laid all round them?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm learning fast and I know I want to get better with growing vegetables so am forever looking for extra information.
    Hope you don't mind me asking.

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348
    Hi Init,
    It is weed supressant plastic and can be bought at most garden centres. It is porous so the rain water gets through :thumb:.

This one I bought at least four years ago and is still as good as new and comes on a roll that is 2 metres wide. You just buy whatever length you want.

You will also need to have a method of pinning it down. They were selling plastic pins for it but I thought they were too expensive and, as I needed a lot, I made mine out of very heavy duty wire. It was difficult cutting the wire as it was so thick but I cut it into 6" lengths and then bent them over into unequal lengths - approx 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" - and pinned the plastic to the ground about 2ft apart. You could use old bricks instead which is much easier. You need to do this otherwise the wind will take it away.

I don't have to do any weeding throughout the growing season :thumb: :) and then each Autumn I roll back the plastic, dig it over, remove the perrenial weeds and dig in loads of compost.

To grow things through it all you need to do is cut an X (6" maximum is all that is needed) in the plastic and plant your veggies through the hole. If you water by hand (or hosepipe) you just need to put the water in the hole. In the dry weather the plastic slows the evaporation rate and the plants do much better. :D

I also grow Butternut squash, courgettes and tomatoes through the plastic.

[​IMG]

You can see that I have supplemented the wire pins with some bricks because we had very strong gales a few months ago and there are open fields behind my veggie plot. I had the bricks lying around because I had taken down an old brick gatepost.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Mrs Shiney is very clever :p:D

Looks really good on the veg plot, now show us your pea field ;)

My veg plot verbascum is about to flower:thumb:

Love your garden Shiney and the veg plot is really excellent. Look forward to seeing the squashes.yummy !:)

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348

BM, I'll tell Mrs shiney you said so :thumb:. Of course, I agree with you :D.

This is what I think you mean about my pea field ;) (I just popped into the garden to take these shots).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the verbscum you had from my veg plot should eventually look like this :thumb: :)

[​IMG]

6. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you Shiney.
    noted in my note book for my next visit to the garden centre.

Do I see broad beans in that field? :) If so, I'm on my way, I just love broad beans.:D

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Someone got their pea & bean seed mixed up?

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348
    No John :), it's a bit of an 'In' joke from when BM came round to my open garden.

Init, I think they are being grown as animal feed :confused:

9. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    shiney where did you get that 'matting' from, think I might give that a go next year? Is it not a problem when you water the plants?

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348
    Andy, you can get it in most garden centres - but shop around by phone first because they vary a lot in price. Where I got it from it was called weed suppressant plastic.

It is porous so lets the water and rain through but for plants like courgettes etc you can just water them by applying the water through the hole where they are planted. :thumb: :)

11. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Andy if you find out where to get it can you please let me know.and Shiney any chance of dates and what types of beans you start ,as by looking at your photo's it looks well worth taking the chance.Your garden looks great mate.

12. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    That is not fair.:( not that I want the animals to go hungry but I love broad beans and they look like broad beans to me.:D

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348
    Thanks coub :thumb:. The dates I put above each picture are the nearest approximation I have :) - and each one is named.

I start all my beans off in the greenhouse in ordinary seed trays. I plant (actually, Mrs shiney does the planting) two seeds together and get about 16 seeds in a tray. Early on in Spring they take about 7 -10 days to germinate (without heat) or 4 days with heat in the propagator. Late Spring they take about 4 days without heat. The early ones stay in the seed tray about 3 weeks and the later ones about 2 weeks. Then they are planted out. :)

Done that way we know that all the canes will have beans. When we used to put the seeds directly into the ground we never knew if they were going to germinate. As we plant them through the plastic I guess that the soil is a bit warmer and that may help them.

If the frost gets the early ones then there are plenty more coming along in the greenhouse. We never bother to harden them off (which we should do).

Init, they are the broad bean family - but I think they make more money out of them as animal feed :D

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  15. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,348
    I think this one is even cheaper :thumb: :).

http://www.allplaz.com/acatalog/Woven_105gsm_Weed_Control_Fabric.html

It is well worth it as it saves so much work.

I bought mine at a local garden centre about four (?) years ago and seem to remember that I paid about £34 for 2m x 50m. I would guess that it has saved me at least 25 hours work each year :thumb: :D :D :D :D