Young Hawthorn tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Reggie3, May 15, 2017.

1. Reggie3

Reggie3 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    i planted this young hawthorn last year; it's grown well and has produced all these flowers. I did recently reposition the stake as the wind was causing it to bend a fair bit, but it has drooped more and I'm concerned I may have damaged the roots maybe. Yesterday it did recover a bit as the sun was out and it definitely straightened, but with more rain and wind last night it is drooping again. Could the weight of all the flowers, which have recently blossomed, holding the rain, along with it being so exposed, cause this? I will be heading out to get a larger stake to give more support as it definitely needs that with the strong winds we get here in Wales!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      Hi, welcome to the forum! :sign0016:

The top branches of the Hawthorn are quite thin and straggly and with the winds bashing them around and rain collecting on the heavy blossom, could cause the branches to droop. As you want it to grow as a tree, pruning off the stems (after flowering) may not be a good idea.

I'd suggest buying a tall, 3 inch wide stake and hammer it into the ground at a 45 degree angle. This provides a greater support against wind and is less likely to harm the roots. Adjustable rubber tree bands will keep it in place without damaging the bark.

Your fence looks seriously robust so screwing more of those eyed hooks into beams or posts behind the tree and using them to gently pull the upper section of the tree upright over a period of a few weeks (using strong, soft foam-coated twine) should train it to grow more vertically without harm to the tree.

• Like Like x 1
      • Reggie3

Reggie3 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks for your reply. I've had a great time discovering this website today! I shall be heading out tomorrow to get a new stake. We had thought of using the fence to help as well - had thought of old tights! As said earlier, it seems the safest place for the stake would be near the edge of the border well away from roots?

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Welcome reggie :)

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,844
            Welcome aboard @Reggie3 :sign0016:

I see you've already had some great advice, and look forward to seeing you around the forums. We like a natter here, and we like photos too - and there is no such thing as a question that you can't ask, we are all here to learn from and to help each other. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
            • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
              Ratings:
              +268
              It may also be trying to grow away from the fence towards the light in addition to previous posts.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1