your favourite tv gardener??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by plantaholic, Sep 20, 2007.

1. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I must be getting old. I told my son when he asked last week that the person I'd most like a one to one with is Alan Titchmarsh! A few years ago it would have been Robert de Niro. It's nothing to do with fancying him..just like to pick his brains over a nice lunch! Which presenters do you like?? I've got Sky so watch lots of old Gardeners World programmes and although he's no longer with us I find Geoff Hamilton was a very common sense, no fuss gardener.I can't bear that strange bloke with the long plait mooching about in his fruit trees though..just remembered his name..Bob Flowerdew! Who is your favourite??

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I like Alan Titchmarsh but I also like Matt James (the city gardener)cos he loves his tropicals like me.

3. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I also like the Plants man, can't remember his name he's young got black hair and does'nt look like a gardener. [​IMG] He's really enthusiastic about plants.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Alan Titchmarsh is my hero. It was Groundforce that got me interested in gardening.

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    i, too, like geoff hamilton although i was too young to appreciate him (had no interest in anything to do with gardens then).
    i watched the gardens world programme celebrating 40 years & he was my favorite.
    of course i like alan titchmarsh too.

6. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There are some very good gardening programmes. I get a bit annoyed though when 10% of the programme is about plants and the rest is a bit too arty f**ty for my liking with some very modern and weird ideas. Suppose I like the practical and traditional tips.
    Monty Don is good and down to earth.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I liked Geoff Hamilton always had many a good tip to give he was indeed a great gentleman, I still use his ideas today!
    Helen.xxx.

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] :rolleyes: Well I vividly remember Percy Thrower..!! :eek: :D But my favourite was always Geoff Hamilton... :D [​IMG] Would be now too if he was still with us.... As you say, a common sense no fuss & frills gardener...!!! ;) :D

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Too true Plantaholic. Bob Flowerdew really should rename himself, Bob Flowerarranger. I don't need advice on arty-farty I can do that bit myself. So for personality - Titchmarsh (on his salary you can afford a personality), for good old common sense - Hamilton, and for the same reason as TO - Matt James.

10. rose50

rose50 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Monty Don to look at
    Alan Titchmarsh to listen to
    Carol Klein for her enthusiasm
    love watching gardeners world

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Rose50. You joined in Feb 2006 and only 8 posts?
    Do join in. One or two of the sarkier members (some old, some new) have had a right go at me, but it's all in good fun (I hope). I don't think they actually bite. ;)

12. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Alan Titchmarsh and Monty Don are both enjoyable
    Twas Geoff Hamilton who interested me first in gardening ... a great loss but filled admirably by Titchy
    I even agree with Rose that Carol Klein is easy to listen to for her enthusiasm
    No comment on the rest of them [​IMG]

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,061
    Is Geoffrey Smith still around?
    Came from up north and always had brassband music in his programme.
    Think he was on Gardeners Question time and had a spot in Garden News.

14. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know him..maybe I would if I saw him!
    Carol Klein sure is enthusiastic, liked her "open gardens" series.

15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Got to be Titchmarsh. He actually worked as a gardener for a living. He knows the practical side of gardening. That easy, don't give a txxs attitude. Just telling you the right way to grow plants. Not all this rubbish about "raised" flower beds. Garden features etc. I don't even watch G.C. anymore, all it tells you is how to keep up with the latest "trends". All I want is practical advice.