1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Zaluzianskya

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, May 1, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    A few weeks back we were disscussing Zaluzianskya capensis and how it was night scented in a similar way to night scented stock which doesn't really look that good.
    Yesterday in a garden centre I came across this, Zalusianskya Ovata. I put it in the porch last night until I find a suitable place and after dark the porch was filled with the scent, its really strong. Who knows what its like on a humid summer evening.
    [​IMG]

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    That is lovely pete, now I am not good with names, but reminds me of something beginning with I think O called whirlygig.

do put me out of my mysery.

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Osteospermum, Its S. African just the same but I dont think its related

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    We have a great Nursery near whitby called Perry's, just someones garden that got developed. They do all sorts of hardy versions of non hardy plants, some live others don't!

I did try with an Osteospermum outside but it failed, however the garden accross the road from me has it growing outside like a weed, so I may go nick a bit.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
  7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You are absolutely right - well done that man!

the one accross the road is growing over a dry stone wall and on the other side of the river which is much higher.

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Full sun, and good drainage in winter, if its marginally hardy that will make all the difference, I find.

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Um - my garden and good drainage are different languages pete! at a pinch in my car park bed, but difficult, but may be I wil go nick a cutting just for the hell of it!

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I was reading a couple of days ago that Osteospermum cuttings will root in water. I have just stuck a few in milk bottles - to see if its true.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Are we talking about those bedding types or the hardy perrenial types Peter.

12. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have rooted perrenial type in water, I did not think they were hardy so took cuttings. I hope the builders have not destroyed the plant of my neighbours I have in mind, I quite fance having another try with them especially as I now have a sunny terrace.

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Pete. what is the differance between bedding types and hardy perennial. I assume that they are all hardy in warmer climates but in ours they are all borderline with some being a bit hardier than others.

14. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I had this come to me as Z. katherinae (which I understand is a synonym) about 8 years ago. Fabulous thing and I simply cannot understand why it is not more readily available. In the daytime, the flowers remain partly closed, exposing their bright carmine undersides and by early evening when they have opened fully, they exude a phenomenal fragrance throughout the garden. It eventually develops into a compact mound of dense, grey-green foliage, which throughout summer is smothered with a mass of red buds and open flowers.

It is a tender, fairly short-lived perennial that probably only survives winters outside in very mild regions and then only if drainage is perfect. It likes a summer baking, but should not go for want of water. I mounded gravel up around the wiry stems of mine, which kept it happy. Stupidly, I failed to take cuttings even though I could see that the plant was coming to the end of its 5 year life. I don't have a suitably sunny spot for it now, otherwise I'd re-plant without a second thought. Its good to see this plant get some publicity, it is very well deserved.

(Interesting this - the opposite of fine begins with "c" and rhymes with horse, but you're not allowed to type it!)

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    PeterS, I've just seen your post I'm a bit late replying. :D
    Anyway, I have a white one and a pink one and both are hardy, they make good plants for a rockery although you need to keep them in check as they spread. when I referred to the bedding types I meant those ones that you buy for summer and discard at the end of the season.

DaveP, Thats interesting, I think it must be making a comeback
    [​IMG]