Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Lolimac
    Like x 11

Rose Parterre...

Oh that's sad, my son kept chickens but the fox got them all. There is something lovely seeing chickens roaming free.
    Oh that's sad, my son kept chickens but the fox got them all. There is something lovely seeing chickens roaming free.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Arlandria
    Like x 4

Arlandria's Long-Term Garden Renovation Thread

I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot...
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot either which I know they do (these days at least). Never know though!Ooh thank you - I'll pop...
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot either which I know they do (these days at least)....
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4.   » Normal Threads
  5. ManderW

Overhaul a shady garden - good resources?

I think some shade lovers haven’t read the text books. Foxgloves, in my garden, refuse to grow in the shady parts and pop up all over my sunny beds or at the sunny edges of the shadier ones.I’ve...
    I think some shade lovers haven’t read the text books. Foxgloves, in my garden, refuse to grow in the shady parts and pop up all over my sunny beds or at the sunny edges of the shadier ones.I’ve found that woodruff can take its time to get going. I moved some to a shady bed alongside our shed...
    I think some shade lovers haven’t read the text books. Foxgloves, in my garden, refuse to grow in the shady parts and pop up all over my sunny beds or at the sunny edges of the shadier ones.I’ve found that woodruff can take its time to get...
    I think some shade lovers haven’t read the text books. Foxgloves, in my garden, refuse to grow in the shady parts and pop up all over my sunny beds or at the sunny edges of the shadier ones.I’ve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PJA190
    Like x 8

Slow and steady - Beginner :-)

I think your seating area looks lovely, and is well positioned around the tree. Just a point to ponder - would you want to leave the sides open? I have fairly recently inherited an area of decking...
    I think your seating area looks lovely, and is well positioned around the tree. Just a point to ponder - would you want to leave the sides open? I have fairly recently inherited an area of decking which is open round the sides and is full of weeds, right underneath where it is impossible to...
    I think your seating area looks lovely, and is well positioned around the tree. Just a point to ponder - would you want to leave the sides open? I have fairly recently inherited an area of decking which is open round the sides and is full of...
    I think your seating area looks lovely, and is well positioned around the tree. Just a point to ponder - would you want to leave the sides open? I have fairly recently inherited an area of decking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. bigbore
    Like x 10

My Little Haven Part 2

Well you’ve got the sun today now it feels Tropical . It’s a lovely garden like the style , planting and design worth it in the end !!
    Well you’ve got the sun today now it feels Tropical . It’s a lovely garden like the style , planting and design worth it in the end !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. o-Riverside-o

Brick border edging

I haven't cemented in my brick border edges....which is just as well as I've moved them three times to increase the size of the borders....and can't rule out doing it again! :heehee: They're just set on...
    I haven't cemented in my brick border edges....which is just as well as I've moved them three times to increase the size of the borders....and can't rule out doing it again! :heehee: They're just set on firmed soil, fine as long as you don't lean on them!
    I haven't cemented in my brick border edges....which is just as well as I've moved them three times to increase the size of the borders....and can't rule out doing it again! :heehee: They're just set on firmed soil, fine as long as you don't lean on them!
    I haven't cemented in my brick border edges....which is just as well as I've moved them three times to increase the size of the borders....and can't rule out doing it again! :heehee: They're just set on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. machtucker

3 years in.. looking for recommendations

Hi! The whole local are here is full of Rhododendrons, in remarkable abundance. I have a camellia and it's growing very well too. I might get another test to confirm. I'll see how it goes.
    Hi! The whole local are here is full of Rhododendrons, in remarkable abundance. I have a camellia and it's growing very well too. I might get another test to confirm. I'll see how it goes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Welshman
    Like x 9

Back garden refurb

I've just come in from doing some jobs while it's been decent, and saw your thread @Welshman . Seriously impressive. I love a bit of building work and changing things around :) Hope you get the...
    I've just come in from doing some jobs while it's been decent, and saw your thread @Welshman . Seriously impressive. I love a bit of building work and changing things around :) Hope you get the weather to do all the things you want to get done. Probably a good idea to get on with it soon, rather...
    I've just come in from doing some jobs while it's been decent, and saw your thread @Welshman . Seriously impressive. I love a bit of building work and changing things around :) Hope you get the weather to do all the things you want to get done....
    I've just come in from doing some jobs while it's been decent, and saw your thread @Welshman . Seriously impressive. I love a bit of building work and changing things around :) Hope you get the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Wannabe

New garden

I had a look at my YouTube thing, and it seems to be working again, but I've not tried linking a video here @Wannabe . I'm sure the mods would help if you wanted to try it. I'm not sure of all the...
    I had a look at my YouTube thing, and it seems to be working again, but I've not tried linking a video here @Wannabe . I'm sure the mods would help if you wanted to try it. I'm not sure of all the tech jargon so I'd need someone to explain it to me in words of one syllable!
    I had a look at my YouTube thing, and it seems to be working again, but I've not tried linking a video here @Wannabe . I'm sure the mods would help if you wanted to try it. I'm not sure of all the tech jargon so I'd need someone to explain it to...
    I had a look at my YouTube thing, and it seems to be working again, but I've not tried linking a video here @Wannabe . I'm sure the mods would help if you wanted to try it. I'm not sure of all the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sogni verdi

Front Garden Project

I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in the middle, beware, they can suffer in severe winters and look a bit tatty. A dwarf pampas grass may...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in the middle, beware, they can suffer in severe...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. o-Riverside-o

Making a small gravel circle under firepit

No worries! Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Off to B&Q tomorrow then. Happy gardening!
    No worries! Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Off to B&Q tomorrow then. Happy gardening!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. BenCotto
    Like x 5

A suggestion for your next project, and for a future generation

Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked like, what jobs they did and their life stories. I would read with great interest a snapshot of a...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked like, what jobs they did and their life stories. I...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. LunarSea

Anyone seen these dog-leg fence posts for sale?

Oh dear @LunarSea - not quite what I meant :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dant27

How to tackle this east facing patch

Not sure my wife would speak to me again if she saw the price of that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Retired

Third year meadow.

Hi,Thanks @Logan yes the Alpro custard is lovely; we've been buying it for years.Thanks also for your useful suggestion; I seriously considered removing the branches nearest the bungalow but...
    Hi,Thanks @Logan yes the Alpro custard is lovely; we've been buying it for years.Thanks also for your useful suggestion; I seriously considered removing the branches nearest the bungalow but it's too dangerous given all the laurels beneath the tree; I'd have to double rope each branch; the...
    Hi,Thanks @Logan yes the Alpro custard is lovely; we've been buying it for years.Thanks also for your useful suggestion; I seriously considered removing the branches nearest the bungalow but it's too dangerous given all the laurels beneath...
    Hi,Thanks @Logan yes the Alpro custard is lovely; we've been buying it for years.Thanks also for your useful suggestion; I seriously considered removing the branches nearest the bungalow but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sian in Belgium

garden restoration - when to prune/hack back questions

Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from the river at least once a year... There are loads of local apple trees (but mainly cider types) as...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from the river at least once a year... There are loads of...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. psionman

Should I use membrane under pebbles

Thanks all - given me some ideas for the way to progressI'll let you know in a couple of years
    Thanks all - given me some ideas for the way to progressI'll let you know in a couple of years
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. NigelJ

Next B B Project

That is a mixture Nigel. Do you find that you can plant a good mix of species owing to the different soil types? For instance an Azalea in a particular spot that wouldn't thrive in a different...
    That is a mixture Nigel. Do you find that you can plant a good mix of species owing to the different soil types? For instance an Azalea in a particular spot that wouldn't thrive in a different area of your garden?
    That is a mixture Nigel. Do you find that you can plant a good mix of species owing to the different soil types? For instance an Azalea in a particular spot that wouldn't thrive in a different area of your garden?
    That is a mixture Nigel. Do you find that you can plant a good mix of species owing to the different soil types? For instance an Azalea in a particular spot that wouldn't thrive in a different...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Dugie
    Like x 5

Garden Build, Work in Progress - New to Gardening

Tidied up the summer house and put the lights on for the first time in..... well, what seems forever. Lovely quiet evening.There is a plant in there, A Peace Lily which loves the heat!
    Tidied up the summer house and put the lights on for the first time in..... well, what seems forever. Lovely quiet evening.There is a plant in there, A Peace Lily which loves the heat!
    20230508_165619.jpg 20230508_165635.jpg 20230513_132142.jpg 20230513_132152.jpg 20230513_151850.jpg 20230513_151858.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Balc

Square Foot gardening

This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around them. Led to germination, in verandah area, pricking out, planting out, watering, weeding...and...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around them. Led to germination, in verandah area,...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. hi2u_uk

not much soil what to plant

Chaenorhinum origanifolium 'Blue Dream'
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fof
    Like x 4

I don't know if this work. Nah! Of course it will!!

Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement...
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement for one that failed, for some reason.
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement for one that failed, for some reason.
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice