General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl

Whats Looking good May 2024

More Hostas!June Fever.Whirlwind (my favourite!).Brim Cup.
    DSC00704.jpeg DSC00693.jpeg DSC00691.jpeg DSC00702.jpeg DSC00699.jpeg IMG_1808.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Wow, those are a fantastic price, I paid double that for my salvias
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

They look good enough to eat, like chocolate and crushed nuts on my phone!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. NoviceGardener2023

Best approach to planting grass seed after removing weeds

I'd never heard of that weedkiller @Busy-Lizzie . I've just looked it up. :sad: I only use the bog standard makes of weedkiller, and I use them pretty rarely. A small bottle lasts me for years. The...
    I'd never heard of that weedkiller @Busy-Lizzie . I've just looked it up. :sad: I only use the bog standard makes of weedkiller, and I use them pretty rarely. A small bottle lasts me for years. The newer types can take more applications on perennial, persistent weeds, but I just keep an eye out for...
    I'd never heard of that weedkiller @Busy-Lizzie . I've just looked it up. :sad: I only use the bog standard makes of weedkiller, and I use them pretty rarely. A small bottle lasts me for years. The newer types can take more applications on perennial,...
    I'd never heard of that weedkiller @Busy-Lizzie . I've just looked it up. :sad: I only use the bog standard makes of weedkiller, and I use them pretty rarely. A small bottle lasts me for years. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. BB3

Supermarket lemon thyme

I have no idea @Papi Jo. The selection available in France Rurale in Moutiers-les Mauxfaits seems to change each year and from one season to another. I have yet to ffind a decent seed compost...
    I have no idea @Papi Jo. The selection available in France Rurale in Moutiers-les Mauxfaits seems to change each year and from one season to another. I have yet to ffind a decent seed compost there tho Leclerc in Luçon had some good stuff 2 years ago. Carrefour market in Le Champ-St-Père...
    I have no idea @Papi Jo. The selection available in France Rurale in Moutiers-les Mauxfaits seems to change each year and from one season to another. I have yet to ffind a decent seed compost there tho Leclerc in Luçon had some good stuff 2...
    I have no idea @Papi Jo. The selection available in France Rurale in Moutiers-les Mauxfaits seems to change each year and from one season to another. I have yet to ffind a decent seed compost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. RowlandsCastle

Using old boiler flue in the garden

Thankfully they're not in the way in the shed (yet), but we have a good-sized "garden room" attached to the rear of the garage - but it's full!! That old desk in pieces really ought to go. Maybe...
    Thankfully they're not in the way in the shed (yet), but we have a good-sized "garden room" attached to the rear of the garage - but it's full!! That old desk in pieces really ought to go. Maybe I'll have a bonfire sometime, and collect the ashes to spread on the garden, or put in the...
    Thankfully they're not in the way in the shed (yet), but we have a good-sized "garden room" attached to the rear of the garage - but it's full!! That old desk in pieces really ought to go. Maybe I'll have a bonfire sometime, and collect the ashes...
    Thankfully they're not in the way in the shed (yet), but we have a good-sized "garden room" attached to the rear of the garage - but it's full!! That old desk in pieces really ought to go. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. eddybaby

My Jack Frost not happy! What happened?

Ours are not as advanced as @Topbird s but they are still in full flower and plenty of strong low down leaves ready to fill out and give a good long display. We usually leave them into Sept/Oct...
    Ours are not as advanced as @Topbird s but they are still in full flower and plenty of strong low down leaves ready to fill out and give a good long display. We usually leave them into Sept/Oct though they can look a bit untidy but will try Topbirds trick of cutting them down in July to...
    Ours are not as advanced as @Topbird s but they are still in full flower and plenty of strong low down leaves ready to fill out and give a good long display. We usually leave them into Sept/Oct though they can look a bit untidy but will try...
    Ours are not as advanced as @Topbird s but they are still in full flower and plenty of strong low down leaves ready to fill out and give a good long display. We usually leave them into Sept/Oct...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. eddybaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. BenCotto
    Like x 8

Slug and Snail Grand National - place your bets

I expect slug numbers are strongly influence by the weather in any particular week. I think we have all witnessed a scourge of slugs and snails, appearing almost from nowhere, on a wet but mild...
    I expect slug numbers are strongly influence by the weather in any particular week. I think we have all witnessed a scourge of slugs and snails, appearing almost from nowhere, on a wet but mild summer’s evening after a dry spell.
    I expect slug numbers are strongly influence by the weather in any particular week. I think we have all witnessed a scourge of slugs and snails, appearing almost from nowhere, on a wet but mild summer’s evening after a dry spell.
    I expect slug numbers are strongly influence by the weather in any particular week. I think we have all witnessed a scourge of slugs and snails, appearing almost from nowhere, on a wet but mild...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. TheMadHedger

new Beech hedge - best ways to thicken it up?

Yes- it's as @Punkdoc says. Young hedging plants are called whips, and you can get 1 yr old, 2 yr old ones etc. The big advantage of Beech, and also Hornbeam, is that they can be kept as tight,...
    Yes- it's as @Punkdoc says. Young hedging plants are called whips, and you can get 1 yr old, 2 yr old ones etc. The big advantage of Beech, and also Hornbeam, is that they can be kept as tight, narrow hedges, but they can also become very large in each direction. ;)Meikleour Beech Hedge,...
    Yes- it's as @Punkdoc says. Young hedging plants are called whips, and you can get 1 yr old, 2 yr old ones etc. The big advantage of Beech, and also Hornbeam, is that they can be kept as tight, narrow hedges, but they can also become very large...
    Yes- it's as @Punkdoc says. Young hedging plants are called whips, and you can get 1 yr old, 2 yr old ones etc. The big advantage of Beech, and also Hornbeam, is that they can be kept as tight,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. BB3

Begonias

Probably too cold, I wouldn't put them outside until mid May at the earliest.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. eddybaby

Cala Lily

I had one as an houseplant. It was bought in full bloom, beautiful thing. Towards the end of Autumn it started dying back so I cut everything off right down to the base and put it in a bag in a...
    I had one as an houseplant. It was bought in full bloom, beautiful thing. Towards the end of Autumn it started dying back so I cut everything off right down to the base and put it in a bag in a dark cupboard.When spring came I got it out, watered it, and within a couple of weeks loads of new...
    I had one as an houseplant. It was bought in full bloom, beautiful thing. Towards the end of Autumn it started dying back so I cut everything off right down to the base and put it in a bag in a dark cupboard.When spring came I got it out,...
    I had one as an houseplant. It was bought in full bloom, beautiful thing. Towards the end of Autumn it started dying back so I cut everything off right down to the base and put it in a bag in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Anna33

Trying to remember an episode of Gardeners World from a few years ago

I ordered this rose last night ,managed to get one as a lot out of stock should be delivered in next few days.
    I ordered this rose last night ,managed to get one as a lot out of stock should be delivered in next few days.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Skylark001

How to eradicate bamboo?

I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that should be able to cope with the bank and the "difficult ground" Whole cultivars of bamboos can flower...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that should be able to cope with the bank and the...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

Very nice @EscarpmentLittle daffs - Pueblo, and tulips in the pot in front not far off opening- they're Honky Tonk. Acers, wallflowers and saxifrages.
    Very nice @EscarpmentLittle daffs - Pueblo, and tulips in the pot in front not far off opening- they're Honky Tonk. Acers, wallflowers and saxifrages.
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 12

Our New Garden :)

A stunning garden, so glad you’re sharing it with us all
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. earlydaze

asiatic lily problems

That's a good result then
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Dangermousie

"Blind" bluebells

I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that lots of people are referring to something that basically looks like a normal bluebell as Spanish. ...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that lots of people are referring to something that...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Emerion

Old fashioned wild flower names

Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along...
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along with bluebells now and cowslips before.I've always known them as cockles.
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along with bluebells now and cowslips before.I've...
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Alan Clark

Tatton Flower Show to stop being an annual event

The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is not an organisation run by or for the rich and the snobby. It covers all aspects of trying to get...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is not an organisation run by or for the rich and the...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

It lovely @Kevin Cowans .This is the first time I've had a clematis come back. And that was year 11 for me planting new ones.I think I kept getting the runts of the litter and finally got a...
    It lovely @Kevin Cowans .This is the first time I've had a clematis come back. And that was year 11 for me planting new ones.I think I kept getting the runts of the litter and finally got a good one.And, I still have never seen a new flower on mine.I've got my fingers crossed for both of us!
    It lovely @Kevin Cowans .This is the first time I've had a clematis come back. And that was year 11 for me planting new ones.I think I kept getting the runts of the litter and finally got a good one.And, I still have never seen a new flower...
    It lovely @Kevin Cowans .This is the first time I've had a clematis come back. And that was year 11 for me planting new ones.I think I kept getting the runts of the litter and finally got a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

Thank you @On the Levels.
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Gilla.Walmsley

Help! Frost has killed my dahlias

I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house....
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house. The shed isn't watertight, and it's the wet cold that's a real killer for them. Growhouse is nowhere...
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house. The shed isn't watertight, and it's the wet cold...
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice