1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. tdubya

Drowning soil to kill weed seeds?

The bells are the green ones yet to show their little heads. Grape Hyacinth have come up well this year.
    The bells are the green ones yet to show their little heads. Grape Hyacinth have come up well this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. clanless

What is this?

Thanks all. To me it looks exactly like all the other MPC's I have used. I'll throw in a handful of slow release fertiliser as I use it.For the first time this year, I purchased compost...
    Thanks all. To me it looks exactly like all the other MPC's I have used. I'll throw in a handful of slow release fertiliser as I use it.For the first time this year, I purchased compost specifically for seeds - it was quite sand like - by that I mean very fine - but the seeds seem to thrive...
    Thanks all. To me it looks exactly like all the other MPC's I have used. I'll throw in a handful of slow release fertiliser as I use it.For the first time this year, I purchased compost specifically for seeds - it was quite sand like - by...
    Thanks all. To me it looks exactly like all the other MPC's I have used. I'll throw in a handful of slow release fertiliser as I use it.For the first time this year, I purchased compost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Tara Jane

Drowning weeds

I like the sound of this idea… at the moment I’m literally trying to separate the soil from the celandine tubers so as not to lose too much soil. I guess I can just top the whole lot into the...
    I like the sound of this idea… at the moment I’m literally trying to separate the soil from the celandine tubers so as not to lose too much soil. I guess I can just top the whole lot into the water for a couple of months?
    I like the sound of this idea… at the moment I’m literally trying to separate the soil from the celandine tubers so as not to lose too much soil. I guess I can just top the whole lot into the water for a couple of months?
    I like the sound of this idea… at the moment I’m literally trying to separate the soil from the celandine tubers so as not to lose too much soil. I guess I can just top the whole lot into the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Aidan mc

Best compost for veg seeds

For the past few years I used equal parts of JI No1, own sifted Compost, Coir & a little Perlite, never any problems.
    For the past few years I used equal parts of JI No1, own sifted Compost, Coir & a little Perlite, never any problems.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Tomcat
    Informative x 3

I’ve just broken open my compost bin , to find……

Sounds good @Glynne Williams ! . I’ve never tried goat manure but having just Googled it , l think it would be an excellent choice. Thanks for the info . First find your goat …………
    Sounds good @Glynne Williams ! . I’ve never tried goat manure but having just Googled it , l think it would be an excellent choice. Thanks for the info . First find your goat …………
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. shiney

Best Supplier Of Compost 2021

2022 thread : Best Supplier Of Compost 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. jay22

What to do with old compost?

I mix it in with leaf mould.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. roders

Comfrey again.

I harvest my comfrey bed about three times a year. I chop the stems and leaves up and put them in a plastic bin covering them with water and leave to soak until spring when I decant in containers...
    I harvest my comfrey bed about three times a year. I chop the stems and leaves up and put them in a plastic bin covering them with water and leave to soak until spring when I decant in containers for use as plant (mainly tomato) feed. I've made a filter for when I do the decanting as it helps...
    I harvest my comfrey bed about three times a year. I chop the stems and leaves up and put them in a plastic bin covering them with water and leave to soak until spring when I decant in containers for use as plant (mainly tomato) feed. I've made a...
    I harvest my comfrey bed about three times a year. I chop the stems and leaves up and put them in a plastic bin covering them with water and leave to soak until spring when I decant in containers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. hailbopp

Bit of a long shot but can only ask!

That is a great result then.All you need now is a 4x4.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Midlands Cockney

composted bracken

We have plenty of Ferns. I was wondering if composting Ferns also produces ericaceous soil in the same way that composting bracken is said to make soil more ericaceous?
    We have plenty of Ferns. I was wondering if composting Ferns also produces ericaceous soil in the same way that composting bracken is said to make soil more ericaceous?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Mitramonday

Have I poisoned my honeysuckle and clematis with 'kindness'?

Many thanks again @NigelJ ! I will keep my fingers crossed and remember in the future to harden off any plants I buy! Even if these 3 plants don't survive, I shall take it as not a failure, but a...
    Many thanks again @NigelJ ! I will keep my fingers crossed and remember in the future to harden off any plants I buy! Even if these 3 plants don't survive, I shall take it as not a failure, but a teaching ;)!
    Many thanks again @NigelJ ! I will keep my fingers crossed and remember in the future to harden off any plants I buy! Even if these 3 plants don't survive, I shall take it as not a failure, but a teaching ;)!
    Many thanks again @NigelJ ! I will keep my fingers crossed and remember in the future to harden off any plants I buy! Even if these 3 plants don't survive, I shall take it as not a failure, but a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. clanless
    Like x 5

And here it is....

Looks really good @clanless , and your compost is equally good too! Well done.:dbgrtmb:
    Looks really good @clanless , and your compost is equally good too! Well done.:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. rustyroots

Lawn cuttings treated with Iron sulphate.

Wickes generally have the Growsure Manure and you can check which branch has stockAlso bought it from B&M last year, but not been in there this year.B&Q had their Verve Horse manure but having...
    Wickes generally have the Growsure Manure and you can check which branch has stockAlso bought it from B&M last year, but not been in there this year.B&Q had their Verve Horse manure but having seen it, again last year, would avoid as its not properly composted, almost raw droppings and very...
    Wickes generally have the Growsure Manure and you can check which branch has stockAlso bought it from B&M last year, but not been in there this year.B&Q had their Verve Horse manure but having seen it, again last year, would avoid as its not...
    Wickes generally have the Growsure Manure and you can check which branch has stockAlso bought it from B&M last year, but not been in there this year.B&Q had their Verve Horse manure but having...
    000510.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. gks

Alternatives to plastic bags for compost.

Well "recyclable plastic" is a pleonasm like "wet water". Every plastic is recyclable if you actually recycle it. But all to often it gets thrown into nature, buried or simply burned (which is by...
    Well "recyclable plastic" is a pleonasm like "wet water". Every plastic is recyclable if you actually recycle it. But all to often it gets thrown into nature, buried or simply burned (which is by far the best of the three alternatives if you also use it to generate power or heating).So it...
    Well "recyclable plastic" is a pleonasm like "wet water". Every plastic is recyclable if you actually recycle it. But all to often it gets thrown into nature, buried or simply burned (which is by far the best of the three alternatives if you...
    Well "recyclable plastic" is a pleonasm like "wet water". Every plastic is recyclable if you actually recycle it. But all to often it gets thrown into nature, buried or simply burned (which is by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. shrimp

When do you use john innes no 1

What we need to remember here is, John Innes Compost is a a compost formula that was created over 100 years ago. By putting John Innes Compost on the packaging then the mixture should be to that...
    What we need to remember here is, John Innes Compost is a a compost formula that was created over 100 years ago. By putting John Innes Compost on the packaging then the mixture should be to that ratio or a least very similar.Where ever you look on the internet, they all give the same...
    What we need to remember here is, John Innes Compost is a a compost formula that was created over 100 years ago. By putting John Innes Compost on the packaging then the mixture should be to that ratio or a least very similar.Where ever you look...
    What we need to remember here is, John Innes Compost is a a compost formula that was created over 100 years ago. By putting John Innes Compost on the packaging then the mixture should be to that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Lone Northern Lass

Isn't any peat in compost an environmental no-no?

Coir v PeatIs Coir an Eco-friendly Substitute for Peat Moss? - Garden Myths
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Texas Pete

How much does soil type vary in a garden?

This may be a bit of an idiot's question, but I've done the "soil in a jar" test (digging down a couple of foot for samples) for various areas I have been working on. The soil almost everywhere is...
    This may be a bit of an idiot's question, but I've done the "soil in a jar" test (digging down a couple of foot for samples) for various areas I have been working on. The soil almost everywhere is mainly around 60% sand, 30% silt and 10% clay, however in one specific tiny area it is something...
    This may be a bit of an idiot's question, but I've done the "soil in a jar" test (digging down a couple of foot for samples) for various areas I have been working on. The soil almost everywhere is mainly around 60% sand, 30% silt and 10% clay,...
    This may be a bit of an idiot's question, but I've done the "soil in a jar" test (digging down a couple of foot for samples) for various areas I have been working on. The soil almost everywhere is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. shiney

Best Supplier Of Compost 2020

Just got westlands multi purpose compost delivered 50l bags, not impressed with it very dry woody texture, will have to mix it with other compost , very disappointed.Regds Sandy
    Just got westlands multi purpose compost delivered 50l bags, not impressed with it very dry woody texture, will have to mix it with other compost , very disappointed.Regds Sandy
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Pifco

Manufactured top soil.

Not guilty of the first M'Lud :biggrin: Infinitely prefer flying to sailing, though :)
    Not guilty of the first M'Lud :biggrin: Infinitely prefer flying to sailing, though :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. welshone

Composting Garden Leaves

I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in dumpy bags, drag them behind the fruit cage and forget for 12 to 24 months; after which the nice...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in dumpy bags, drag them behind the fruit cage and...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice