1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. glasgowgreen

Help!fungus growing round base of my compost bin

Thanks for the quick reply, frogesque. I thought there might be a "day of the triffids" scenario waiting to break out from my wee dalek bin!! There will be mushroom trimmings in with the kitchen...
    Thanks for the quick reply, frogesque. I thought there might be a "day of the triffids" scenario waiting to break out from my wee dalek bin!! There will be mushroom trimmings in with the kitchen waste as I am a 'shroomy addict and eat them every other day. Actually, I'm thinking of getting a...
    Thanks for the quick reply, frogesque. I thought there might be a "day of the triffids" scenario waiting to break out from my wee dalek bin!! There will be mushroom trimmings in with the kitchen waste as I am a 'shroomy addict and eat them every...
    Thanks for the quick reply, frogesque. I thought there might be a "day of the triffids" scenario waiting to break out from my wee dalek bin!! There will be mushroom trimmings in with the kitchen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JohnBarleycorn

Moss & Weed Killer vs Seeds & Fertiliser

No do the Moss killer then just over a week or so put down the seed and feed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sparkle

Coir

Traditional JI Ericacious compost is2 parts loam (lime free) 1 part peat 1 part sharp hoticultural sandTo each cubic metre of mix, add0.6kg flowers of sulphur 1.2kg superphosphate ...
    Traditional JI Ericacious compost is2 parts loam (lime free) 1 part peat 1 part sharp hoticultural sandTo each cubic metre of mix, add0.6kg flowers of sulphur 1.2kg superphosphateYou can make up your own peat free ercacious by substituting coir or well rotted leafmould for the...
    Traditional JI Ericacious compost is2 parts loam (lime free) 1 part peat 1 part sharp hoticultural sandTo each cubic metre of mix, add0.6kg flowers of sulphur 1.2kg superphosphateYou can make up your own peat free ercacious by...
    Traditional JI Ericacious compost is2 parts loam (lime free) 1 part peat 1 part sharp hoticultural sandTo each cubic metre of mix, add0.6kg flowers of sulphur 1.2kg superphosphate ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. browfish

Manure where from

Hi there CM.You can put the manure on the soil if it is well rotted down,so you need to stack and turn it for at least 3-6 months depending on the weather.If you put it on fresh,I heard that as it...
    Hi there CM.You can put the manure on the soil if it is well rotted down,so you need to stack and turn it for at least 3-6 months depending on the weather.If you put it on fresh,I heard that as it rots down it robs the soil of Nitrogen,but I am not sure whether that is an old wives tale or...
    Hi there CM.You can put the manure on the soil if it is well rotted down,so you need to stack and turn it for at least 3-6 months depending on the weather.If you put it on fresh,I heard that as it rots down it robs the soil of Nitrogen,but I am...
    Hi there CM.You can put the manure on the soil if it is well rotted down,so you need to stack and turn it for at least 3-6 months depending on the weather.If you put it on fresh,I heard that as it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Waco

Waste of time?

so are you saying it will take two years for newspaper to compost?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. cobbybrook

Compost problems

The worms should find their way in on their own -though if you know someone with a good heap - maybe they'll let you take some? You can buy worms for composting - they are different to the ones...
    The worms should find their way in on their own -though if you know someone with a good heap - maybe they'll let you take some? You can buy worms for composting - they are different to the ones you might dig up from the depths of the soil. I'm pretty certain that the worms sold for fishing are...
    The worms should find their way in on their own -though if you know someone with a good heap - maybe they'll let you take some? You can buy worms for composting - they are different to the ones you might dig up from the depths of the soil. I'm...
    The worms should find their way in on their own -though if you know someone with a good heap - maybe they'll let you take some? You can buy worms for composting - they are different to the ones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lynne

"well rotted manure"

Apologies for may seem to be a rather daft question! I've taken delivery of what has been described as well rotted horse manure. As a child I grew up on the North Yorkshire moors next to farms and...
    Apologies for may seem to be a rather daft question! I've taken delivery of what has been described as well rotted horse manure. As a child I grew up on the North Yorkshire moors next to farms and a riding school and I seem to recall that the manure was a dark, dark chocolate colour and crumbly...
    Apologies for may seem to be a rather daft question! I've taken delivery of what has been described as well rotted horse manure. As a child I grew up on the North Yorkshire moors next to farms and a riding school and I seem to recall that the...
    Apologies for may seem to be a rather daft question! I've taken delivery of what has been described as well rotted horse manure. As a child I grew up on the North Yorkshire moors next to farms and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Time

Compost from dalek bin...

I use mine like that, I use it to earth up and then after harvesting it is dug in.
    I use mine like that, I use it to earth up and then after harvesting it is dug in.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS

Compost newspaper

What I have finally done is shred it all by manually tearing into strips, I have even done this whilst watching television. The strips are a bit coarse but that was much faster than putting it...
    What I have finally done is shred it all by manually tearing into strips, I have even done this whilst watching television. The strips are a bit coarse but that was much faster than putting it through a small domestic shredder which took forever. Thank goodness for bin bags - I stored the...
    What I have finally done is shred it all by manually tearing into strips, I have even done this whilst watching television. The strips are a bit coarse but that was much faster than putting it through a small domestic shredder which took...
    What I have finally done is shred it all by manually tearing into strips, I have even done this whilst watching television. The strips are a bit coarse but that was much faster than putting it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. norman

Vermiculite and Gypsum

I see Homebase are selling Vermiculite, this used to be used a packing and insulation, but is very good for starting runner beans and the like, as it encourages root growth, stores moisture and...
    I see Homebase are selling Vermiculite, this used to be used a packing and insulation, but is very good for starting runner beans and the like, as it encourages root growth, stores moisture and allows the plants to be taken out without damaging the roots. Now for a piece of chemistry; clay needs...
    I see Homebase are selling Vermiculite, this used to be used a packing and insulation, but is very good for starting runner beans and the like, as it encourages root growth, stores moisture and allows the plants to be taken out without damaging...
    I see Homebase are selling Vermiculite, this used to be used a packing and insulation, but is very good for starting runner beans and the like, as it encourages root growth, stores moisture and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. azadaman

lime

Brassicas. But it should really be done during the autumn/winter and not just before sowing or planting.
    Brassicas. But it should really be done during the autumn/winter and not just before sowing or planting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. monty

compost bins

More likely to be slow worms rather than snakes I would think, and they wont like being disturbed this early I shouldn't think. :D But whatever you find its bound to be harmless, and more...
    More likely to be slow worms rather than snakes I would think, and they wont like being disturbed this early I shouldn't think. :D But whatever you find its bound to be harmless, and more scared of you, than you are, of it.
    More likely to be slow worms rather than snakes I would think, and they wont like being disturbed this early I shouldn't think. :D But whatever you find its bound to be harmless, and more scared of you, than you are, of it.
    More likely to be slow worms rather than snakes I would think, and they wont like being disturbed this early I shouldn't think. :D But whatever you find its bound to be harmless, and more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Boveytracey

composting fruit

dendrobium is correct but it really depends on how many hundred apples and how big your compost heap is. Burying them won't do any harm either. You could also leave some apples in parts of the...
    dendrobium is correct but it really depends on how many hundred apples and how big your compost heap is. Burying them won't do any harm either. You could also leave some apples in parts of the garden where they won't get in the way. The birds would love them this time of year. Our blackbirds...
    dendrobium is correct but it really depends on how many hundred apples and how big your compost heap is. Burying them won't do any harm either. You could also leave some apples in parts of the garden where they won't get in the way. The birds...
    dendrobium is correct but it really depends on how many hundred apples and how big your compost heap is. Burying them won't do any harm either. You could also leave some apples in parts of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PercyT

petition for water recycling

Quite right pete, when the government were trying to get us to use water butts I emailed them and said that it was just a diversion from the real point of water storage and consevation. I also...
    Quite right pete, when the government were trying to get us to use water butts I emailed them and said that it was just a diversion from the real point of water storage and consevation. I also pointed out to them that as we were in a drought (and a heatwave) we weren't going to get any rain to...
    Quite right pete, when the government were trying to get us to use water butts I emailed them and said that it was just a diversion from the real point of water storage and consevation. I also pointed out to them that as we were in a drought...
    Quite right pete, when the government were trying to get us to use water butts I emailed them and said that it was just a diversion from the real point of water storage and consevation. I also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Johnny

Yellow ball shaped bits in potting compost

Now this topic has answered my question! You learn something new every day....!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ms manure

is this possible to recycle

Just answered this here! :Dhttp://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000265;p=2
    Just answered this here! :Dhttp://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000265;p=2
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Beefy

Organic Chicken Manure Pellets -Buy one get one free

Thanks for that Beefy,will check out our local one tomorrow
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. dixy

compost bin

Just found this Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of Using Urine to Grow PlantsI wonder if all the whisky and real ale I drink will help my plants????
    Just found this Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of Using Urine to Grow PlantsI wonder if all the whisky and real ale I drink will help my plants????
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JEN.K

chicken muck

There used to be some Toggenburger goats in the field out back of our house for quite some years (unfortunately a house there now). The owner always let us have the muck out of the shed and did...
    There used to be some Toggenburger goats in the field out back of our house for quite some years (unfortunately a house there now). The owner always let us have the muck out of the shed and did our garden ever grow! I'll never forget the size of the African marigolds - a good meter tall! ...
    There used to be some Toggenburger goats in the field out back of our house for quite some years (unfortunately a house there now). The owner always let us have the muck out of the shed and did our garden ever grow! I'll never forget the size...
    There used to be some Toggenburger goats in the field out back of our house for quite some years (unfortunately a house there now). The owner always let us have the muck out of the shed and did...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. windy miller

brought in with the compost!!!

Just looked at Keble Martin and that seems to confirm my suspicion, with the notch at the bottom of the leaf. It is one of those things that if I saw it in the flesh I could be quite definite. Do...
    Just looked at Keble Martin and that seems to confirm my suspicion, with the notch at the bottom of the leaf. It is one of those things that if I saw it in the flesh I could be quite definite. Do the leaf stems all come from a small crown at ground level? Cause that is how lesser celandine...
    Just looked at Keble Martin and that seems to confirm my suspicion, with the notch at the bottom of the leaf. It is one of those things that if I saw it in the flesh I could be quite definite. Do the leaf stems all come from a small crown at...
    Just looked at Keble Martin and that seems to confirm my suspicion, with the notch at the bottom of the leaf. It is one of those things that if I saw it in the flesh I could be quite definite. Do...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice