Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. teajay

Garden Lime

Many thanks to both whis4ey and LesH for their replies, they were both very helpfulteajay
    Many thanks to both whis4ey and LesH for their replies, they were both very helpfulteajay
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. weekend gardener

compost

I had an email sent to me on the subject of composting and thought it was very kind of him to take the trouble to help me, but unfortunatly i deleted the message by mistake before i had chance to...
    I had an email sent to me on the subject of composting and thought it was very kind of him to take the trouble to help me, but unfortunatly i deleted the message by mistake before i had chance to reply and I can't remember the persons name. If this is you could you please email me again.
    I had an email sent to me on the subject of composting and thought it was very kind of him to take the trouble to help me, but unfortunatly i deleted the message by mistake before i had chance to reply and I can't remember the persons name. If...
    I had an email sent to me on the subject of composting and thought it was very kind of him to take the trouble to help me, but unfortunatly i deleted the message by mistake before i had chance to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jackie&Bob

What compost suitable for pots etc?

If you know anyone who has a subscription to 'Which? Gardening' or if your local library has it you can read the article in this month's magazine. It is entitled 'It's in the bag' and shows the...
    If you know anyone who has a subscription to 'Which? Gardening' or if your local library has it you can read the article in this month's magazine. It is entitled 'It's in the bag' and shows the results of their latest trials on composts. They divide their findings into 'Peat-free...
    If you know anyone who has a subscription to 'Which? Gardening' or if your local library has it you can read the article in this month's magazine. It is entitled 'It's in the bag' and shows the results of their latest trials on composts. They...
    If you know anyone who has a subscription to 'Which? Gardening' or if your local library has it you can read the article in this month's magazine. It is entitled 'It's in the bag' and shows the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. cauliflower ears

compostable?

It never occurred to me to soak the paper, boy gardener - thanks to all of you for your comments, I will now put all the shreddies in the compost bin
    It never occurred to me to soak the paper, boy gardener - thanks to all of you for your comments, I will now put all the shreddies in the compost bin
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Paladin

New Bins

Dave,I always have a 'working'plastic bin that steams up a treat and add a few fork fulls from it to the other bins. I just thought that using much bigger sealed composters would speed things up...
    Dave,I always have a 'working'plastic bin that steams up a treat and add a few fork fulls from it to the other bins. I just thought that using much bigger sealed composters would speed things up all together especially the heavier garden waste.
    Dave,I always have a 'working'plastic bin that steams up a treat and add a few fork fulls from it to the other bins. I just thought that using much bigger sealed composters would speed things up all together especially the heavier garden waste.
    Dave,I always have a 'working'plastic bin that steams up a treat and add a few fork fulls from it to the other bins. I just thought that using much bigger sealed composters would speed things up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mondo

Recycle Water

That's a useful site, Oktarine - hadn't come across it before. Thanks! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. compostee

which compost

Peat free composts can be a bit rough for seed sowing. There is a new Genie range of peat and loam free composts made from UK sourced 100% re-cycled ingredients. They are intended for seeds ...
    Peat free composts can be a bit rough for seed sowing. There is a new Genie range of peat and loam free composts made from UK sourced 100% re-cycled ingredients. They are intended for seeds and cuttings etcSee:http://www.vitalearth.tv/
    Peat free composts can be a bit rough for seed sowing. There is a new Genie range of peat and loam free composts made from UK sourced 100% re-cycled ingredients. They are intended for seeds and cuttings etcSee:http://www.vitalearth.tv/
    Peat free composts can be a bit rough for seed sowing. There is a new Genie range of peat and loam free composts made from UK sourced 100% re-cycled ingredients. They are intended for seeds ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. LooseLotty

White fly in compost help!

I'm tackling whitefly and aphids from a different direction. Every hibernating or semi hiberanting ladybird I find in the garden gets a new cosy winter home under a few peach tree leaves in the...
    I'm tackling whitefly and aphids from a different direction. Every hibernating or semi hiberanting ladybird I find in the garden gets a new cosy winter home under a few peach tree leaves in the greenhouse. Hopefully they will do the job!
    I'm tackling whitefly and aphids from a different direction. Every hibernating or semi hiberanting ladybird I find in the garden gets a new cosy winter home under a few peach tree leaves in the greenhouse. Hopefully they will do the job!
    I'm tackling whitefly and aphids from a different direction. Every hibernating or semi hiberanting ladybird I find in the garden gets a new cosy winter home under a few peach tree leaves in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Paradise

Green Manure

Just make sure you dig it in before it sets seed!There are various types. I used phacelia tanacetifolium (from memory think that's how it was spelt....) They are suitable for different soils...
    Just make sure you dig it in before it sets seed!There are various types. I used phacelia tanacetifolium (from memory think that's how it was spelt....) They are suitable for different soils and conditions, and vary in their timing, so you need to know what you're using.
    Just make sure you dig it in before it sets seed!There are various types. I used phacelia tanacetifolium (from memory think that's how it was spelt....) They are suitable for different soils and conditions, and vary in their timing, so you...
    Just make sure you dig it in before it sets seed!There are various types. I used phacelia tanacetifolium (from memory think that's how it was spelt....) They are suitable for different soils...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Paladin

Bio feed

No, just a double hanger! (To catch the offspring, of course!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. grandchild4

Starting a compost bin

We have about 7 compost heaps - Martin made them out of planks of wood, as the compost rots and heap gets smaller, we take planks away and start another one, so its always ano ongoing prosess.
    We have about 7 compost heaps - Martin made them out of planks of wood, as the compost rots and heap gets smaller, we take planks away and start another one, so its always ano ongoing prosess.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. oldwinegum

Manure!!! have I goofed

Hi sash,if i was you i wouldnt put anymore on.Come spring,fork over what you spread at end of summer.You could put some fresh in the bottom of your tatie trenches though.
    Hi sash,if i was you i wouldnt put anymore on.Come spring,fork over what you spread at end of summer.You could put some fresh in the bottom of your tatie trenches though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wiseowl

Peat or Coir

May be in those days some growers may not have known that they need light to emerge and perhaps covered them too much, just a thought.
    May be in those days some growers may not have known that they need light to emerge and perhaps covered them too much, just a thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Daydreamer

Potting up cuttings, use compost or not

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.One cutting was a fuschia and has come along well. A cutting from a wild blackberry has also thrived. But my holly cutting did not do at all well, this I...
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.One cutting was a fuschia and has come along well. A cutting from a wild blackberry has also thrived. But my holly cutting did not do at all well, this I dipped in rooting powder and did put in a pot compost.The pansies were in compost alone and have...
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.One cutting was a fuschia and has come along well. A cutting from a wild blackberry has also thrived. But my holly cutting did not do at all well, this I dipped in rooting powder and did put in a pot...
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.One cutting was a fuschia and has come along well. A cutting from a wild blackberry has also thrived. But my holly cutting did not do at all well, this I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. r2oo

What to do with compost juice?

Well if you use it now it is not going to feed any plant because they are more or less dormant. That lovely juice will just wash away in the winter rains.
    Well if you use it now it is not going to feed any plant because they are more or less dormant. That lovely juice will just wash away in the winter rains.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. daz and debs

coir/perlite/vermiculite

Nice site TG.. I do mix several different kinds of composts for my different types of plants, because as they say, it is very hard to buy a good one so much better to make my own.. ;)
    Nice site TG.. I do mix several different kinds of composts for my different types of plants, because as they say, it is very hard to buy a good one so much better to make my own.. ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Paladin

Compostool

WM you do have a wicked sense of humour,love it :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Liz

Leaf mould

We use a garden vac/blower that shreds. It's a brilliant tool particularly for getting at the leaves that creep under our hedges.( And yes we do leave some leaves under some of the hedges as...
    We use a garden vac/blower that shreds. It's a brilliant tool particularly for getting at the leaves that creep under our hedges.( And yes we do leave some leaves under some of the hedges as shelter for wildlife/foraging birds) We'll gradually empty the black sacks as layers on the compost heaps...
    We use a garden vac/blower that shreds. It's a brilliant tool particularly for getting at the leaves that creep under our hedges.( And yes we do leave some leaves under some of the hedges as shelter for wildlife/foraging birds) We'll gradually...
    We use a garden vac/blower that shreds. It's a brilliant tool particularly for getting at the leaves that creep under our hedges.( And yes we do leave some leaves under some of the hedges as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. arwyn

manure

Oops, Need to add to that message.The composted bark came from my local family run garden centre. I'm still a novice at computing. Lou S
    Oops, Need to add to that message.The composted bark came from my local family run garden centre. I'm still a novice at computing. Lou S
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. frogesque

Seaweed and compost.

I might add that if you work on clay soil the salt will harm your soil structure, while the benefits from the alginates in it are unnecessary, so possibly best avoided. It is a matter of balancing...
    I might add that if you work on clay soil the salt will harm your soil structure, while the benefits from the alginates in it are unnecessary, so possibly best avoided. It is a matter of balancing the need for organic matter with the need to keep sodium out of the soil profile which tips in...
    I might add that if you work on clay soil the salt will harm your soil structure, while the benefits from the alginates in it are unnecessary, so possibly best avoided. It is a matter of balancing the need for organic matter with the need to keep...
    I might add that if you work on clay soil the salt will harm your soil structure, while the benefits from the alginates in it are unnecessary, so possibly best avoided. It is a matter of balancing...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice