1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. windy miller

Slugopolis compost bin

Thanks guys It's my first attempt at composting and it seems to be rotting down really well. Taking on board all your advice, think I'll play 'slugs in space' with the ones on the lid and...
    Thanks guys It's my first attempt at composting and it seems to be rotting down really well. Taking on board all your advice, think I'll play 'slugs in space' with the ones on the lid and sides and any others I can grab and then scrutinise the compost before I use it to make sure there's...
    Thanks guys It's my first attempt at composting and it seems to be rotting down really well. Taking on board all your advice, think I'll play 'slugs in space' with the ones on the lid and sides and any others I can grab and then scrutinise...
    Thanks guys It's my first attempt at composting and it seems to be rotting down really well. Taking on board all your advice, think I'll play 'slugs in space' with the ones on the lid and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Stingo

Compost for containers?

I use about two thirds multi-purpose compost and one third sharp sand. All the books I have read suggest added drainage material.
    I use about two thirds multi-purpose compost and one third sharp sand. All the books I have read suggest added drainage material.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. macleaf

bone meal

of course stupid me
    of course stupid me
    of course stupid me
    of course stupid me
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gerry

Flies in compost bin

Probably fruit flies as the name implies probably feeding on your fruit waste they are no problem at all part of the composting cycle
    Probably fruit flies as the name implies probably feeding on your fruit waste they are no problem at all part of the composting cycle
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. sharon

tomatoes compost bin

Thanks, no i think i have been lucky this year and the plants have remained really healthy.
    Thanks, no i think i have been lucky this year and the plants have remained really healthy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. David G

Compost Bin

Mine have often looked just about dead and then started new growth at the tips of shoot. At present just about half of the leaves are brown and dry, but I'm still getting new cucs forming.
    Mine have often looked just about dead and then started new growth at the tips of shoot. At present just about half of the leaves are brown and dry, but I'm still getting new cucs forming.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. FANCY

BONFIRE ASH USES

DAVE W. THANKS FOR THE USEFUL tip.cant' get soot. but plenty of ash. :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. lazy-gardener

problems with LA subsidised compost bins?

I got mine free through the council scheme. the website address is www.compost-it.org (I think).Good luck. The other way to get them free of course is your local freecycle site. They are always...
    I got mine free through the council scheme. the website address is www.compost-it.org (I think).Good luck. The other way to get them free of course is your local freecycle site. They are always popping up on our freecycle. Try listing a wanted on it.
    I got mine free through the council scheme. the website address is www.compost-it.org (I think).Good luck. The other way to get them free of course is your local freecycle site. They are always popping up on our freecycle. Try listing a wanted...
    I got mine free through the council scheme. the website address is www.compost-it.org (I think).Good luck. The other way to get them free of course is your local freecycle site. They are always...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. johnedwards8

Couild Honey Fungus contaminate my compost

Many thanks for the info and links, very useful, I'll err on the side of caution! John
    Many thanks for the info and links, very useful, I'll err on the side of caution! John
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lazy-gardener

problems with LA subsidised compost bins?

At the moment we have to put our rubbish in black backs and recyclables in a small blue plastic box (box supplied by LA). We have been told that we shall all be getting three large wheelie bins...
    At the moment we have to put our rubbish in black backs and recyclables in a small blue plastic box (box supplied by LA). We have been told that we shall all be getting three large wheelie bins with different coloured lids that will be collected different weeks. The colours refer to what you...
    At the moment we have to put our rubbish in black backs and recyclables in a small blue plastic box (box supplied by LA). We have been told that we shall all be getting three large wheelie bins with different coloured lids that will be collected...
    At the moment we have to put our rubbish in black backs and recyclables in a small blue plastic box (box supplied by LA). We have been told that we shall all be getting three large wheelie bins...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. specialagentscully

compost heap and wormery

Hi Scully.I am Blonde as well,and I am always having a Blonde moment,or getting wound up about everything and anything,so you are not alone.Kandy
    Hi Scully.I am Blonde as well,and I am always having a Blonde moment,or getting wound up about everything and anything,so you are not alone.Kandy
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sharon

Straw in Compost Bin?

Thanks Kandyfloss, I just looked and its a very good site. I have just got a new compost bin and have only this week turned out the old one into the new one to get some air in it.
    Thanks Kandyfloss, I just looked and its a very good site. I have just got a new compost bin and have only this week turned out the old one into the new one to get some air in it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Stingo

Should I put water in my compost bin?

Cover it with an old rug or bit of carpet and it will help prevent evaporation.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. golfer

Sea Weed

Well sea weed has a good write up so i will be colleting some this week end i guess after what all of you have said ie (wish you could get lots of it) and (the write up bit) it must be good for...
    Well sea weed has a good write up so i will be colleting some this week end i guess after what all of you have said ie (wish you could get lots of it) and (the write up bit) it must be good for the soil so we will give it a try.
    Well sea weed has a good write up so i will be colleting some this week end i guess after what all of you have said ie (wish you could get lots of it) and (the write up bit) it must be good for the soil so we will give it a try.
    Well sea weed has a good write up so i will be colleting some this week end i guess after what all of you have said ie (wish you could get lots of it) and (the write up bit) it must be good for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. macleaf

pigeon poo

Thanks every one been a great help :)will try this out
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. David G

Compost Bin

First of all the slugs are doing a job turning the material into compost. Slug eggs are quite easy to see, small round clear balls about 2 to3 mm across. The ants are more of a problem, I would...
    First of all the slugs are doing a job turning the material into compost. Slug eggs are quite easy to see, small round clear balls about 2 to3 mm across. The ants are more of a problem, I would sprinkle some ant killer on the heap and see if that wiped them out.
    First of all the slugs are doing a job turning the material into compost. Slug eggs are quite easy to see, small round clear balls about 2 to3 mm across. The ants are more of a problem, I would sprinkle some ant killer on the heap and see if...
    First of all the slugs are doing a job turning the material into compost. Slug eggs are quite easy to see, small round clear balls about 2 to3 mm across. The ants are more of a problem, I would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sawfish

hellebore seeds fertility

Take note though Sawfish that hellebore seed is poisonous, so be careful when handling. If you do wear protective gloves or if using bare hands don't lick your fingers afterwardsKandy
    Take note though Sawfish that hellebore seed is poisonous, so be careful when handling. If you do wear protective gloves or if using bare hands don't lick your fingers afterwardsKandy
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. shiney

Composting

PeterS - Thanks, will try the site.Shiney
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paladin

Compost corner

Thanks DAG, The compost heap is like a new toy just been and thrown some gone over petunias in there and there's a lot of noise. Must be all the critters in the 2 bags of **** I slung in :D It's...
    Thanks DAG, The compost heap is like a new toy just been and thrown some gone over petunias in there and there's a lot of noise. Must be all the critters in the 2 bags of **** I slung in :D It's already half full, so think I might have to get another. 'Dalek hoards hit Cornwall' - might make...
    Thanks DAG, The compost heap is like a new toy just been and thrown some gone over petunias in there and there's a lot of noise. Must be all the critters in the 2 bags of **** I slung in :D It's already half full, so think I might have to get...
    Thanks DAG, The compost heap is like a new toy just been and thrown some gone over petunias in there and there's a lot of noise. Must be all the critters in the 2 bags of **** I slung in :D It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Stingo

Chicken pellets

Well Went to buy some today from Focus and apparantly they are not selling them now because of bird flu!! I will have to try a few more places.
    Well Went to buy some today from Focus and apparantly they are not selling them now because of bird flu!! I will have to try a few more places.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice