Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. clanless

Here's a thought - easy composting?

This sounds like green manuring, which I practise on my allotment, sow a crop specifically to be dug in. I am sure it will do good to the soil.
    This sounds like green manuring, which I practise on my allotment, sow a crop specifically to be dug in. I am sure it will do good to the soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sally Parker

Seaweed Foliage Spray how often and better then Watering in???

Thanks Verdun, don't think I have one of those shops near me though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

Composter placement

If you can find a sunny spot where they can sit directly on the soil and attract worms that will speed up the composting process.I've managed to hide away two 220L ones (also via the council...
    If you can find a sunny spot where they can sit directly on the soil and attract worms that will speed up the composting process.I've managed to hide away two 220L ones (also via the council and with a somewhat smaller footprint) in a sunny corner behind the shed in my small garden. They sit...
    If you can find a sunny spot where they can sit directly on the soil and attract worms that will speed up the composting process.I've managed to hide away two 220L ones (also via the council and with a somewhat smaller footprint) in a sunny...
    If you can find a sunny spot where they can sit directly on the soil and attract worms that will speed up the composting process.I've managed to hide away two 220L ones (also via the council...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Informative x 4

R.H.S. .. Know your Compost...

Thanks @JWK , No @Aldo links don't last that long but good we have an alternative.. :SUNsmile:
    Thanks @JWK , No @Aldo links don't last that long but good we have an alternative.. :SUNsmile:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jack Sparrow

Roof moss and gutter waste

Right i'm with you more mate concerning soil and it being moss besides a fungus which can get out of control...that was my main concern.My hubby as just filled a bin full off our roof a week ago :)
    Right i'm with you more mate concerning soil and it being moss besides a fungus which can get out of control...that was my main concern.My hubby as just filled a bin full off our roof a week ago :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JJ28

Liquid feed

Coming to this rather late in the day, I agree with the recommendations to improve the soil before feeding the plant, but do make a simplified version of this Making Compost Teas. See How to make...
    Coming to this rather late in the day, I agree with the recommendations to improve the soil before feeding the plant, but do make a simplified version of this Making Compost Teas. See How to make Liquid Soluble Fertilizer from Manure, Comfrey and more. during the summer. Plants in pots and...
    Coming to this rather late in the day, I agree with the recommendations to improve the soil before feeding the plant, but do make a simplified version of this Making Compost Teas. See How to make Liquid Soluble Fertilizer from Manure, Comfrey and...
    Coming to this rather late in the day, I agree with the recommendations to improve the soil before feeding the plant, but do make a simplified version of this Making Compost Teas. See How to make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JJ28

Is it still ok?

Agree with Nigel, Liquid seaweed is great but again short term. I use the wool pellets as a mulch against slugs, apparently it feeds the soil as well.
    Agree with Nigel, Liquid seaweed is great but again short term. I use the wool pellets as a mulch against slugs, apparently it feeds the soil as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ChilliPepper

Alternative to peat for John Innes mixes

Sorry, but there are no alternatives to @pete :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Irmemac

Mouldy Compost?

IMO commercially produced compost is now big, big business. More than likely most of us gardeners first contact with 'compost' might have been some outdoor container in which the dining table...
    IMO commercially produced compost is now big, big business. More than likely most of us gardeners first contact with 'compost' might have been some outdoor container in which the dining table left overs went, also the kitchen waste.. Do you remember the smell when you disturbed it. The the...
    IMO commercially produced compost is now big, big business. More than likely most of us gardeners first contact with 'compost' might have been some outdoor container in which the dining table left overs went, also the kitchen waste.. Do you...
    IMO commercially produced compost is now big, big business. More than likely most of us gardeners first contact with 'compost' might have been some outdoor container in which the dining table...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. silu

Jack's Magic absolutely soaking wet

I have three water barrels outside of my greenhouse that I've connected up together with a hose running into my greenhouse with a tap on the end. I fill up my watering cans with it and leave them...
    I have three water barrels outside of my greenhouse that I've connected up together with a hose running into my greenhouse with a tap on the end. I fill up my watering cans with it and leave them in there to warm up.
    I have three water barrels outside of my greenhouse that I've connected up together with a hose running into my greenhouse with a tap on the end. I fill up my watering cans with it and leave them in there to warm up.
    I have three water barrels outside of my greenhouse that I've connected up together with a hose running into my greenhouse with a tap on the end. I fill up my watering cans with it and leave them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Notty1975

Which tomato grow bag

I grow the vast majority of my Tomatoes in soil in the greenhouse. Ok it means I need to take out say a bucket load of growing medium from the holes where the plants have been at the end of the...
    I grow the vast majority of my Tomatoes in soil in the greenhouse. Ok it means I need to take out say a bucket load of growing medium from the holes where the plants have been at the end of the season but my method vastly reduces the need to water daily. I grow about 25 cordons and it would take...
    I grow the vast majority of my Tomatoes in soil in the greenhouse. Ok it means I need to take out say a bucket load of growing medium from the holes where the plants have been at the end of the season but my method vastly reduces the need to...
    I grow the vast majority of my Tomatoes in soil in the greenhouse. Ok it means I need to take out say a bucket load of growing medium from the holes where the plants have been at the end of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. BeeHappy

Mushroom packaging...the alternative to plastic ?

Does not compute + error + redo from start.+++
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. roders

Incredibloom.

Interesting that he says you dont need to buy specific fertilisers, just use this stuff.:biggrin: I think we mostly know we dont need to buy specific plant fertilisers??I'm not sure how the price stacks...
    Interesting that he says you dont need to buy specific fertilisers, just use this stuff.:biggrin: I think we mostly know we dont need to buy specific plant fertilisers??I'm not sure how the price stacks up when you compare with other fertilisers, I've not found a cheap one yet, other than nettle...
    Interesting that he says you dont need to buy specific fertilisers, just use this stuff.:biggrin: I think we mostly know we dont need to buy specific plant fertilisers??I'm not sure how the price stacks up when you compare with other fertilisers, I've...
    Interesting that he says you dont need to buy specific fertilisers, just use this stuff.:biggrin: I think we mostly know we dont need to buy specific plant fertilisers??I'm not sure how the price stacks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Phil A
    Like x 4

Only emptied it this morning

The course stuff is mainly woody bits and soil, someone isn't very selective about what she puts on the compost :th scifD36:
    The course stuff is mainly woody bits and soil, someone isn't very selective about what she puts on the compost :th scifD36:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Scrungee

Things that get into the compost

No socks this time...
    No socks this time...
    No socks this time...
    No socks this time...
    nut1.jpg DSC07959.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. roders

The virtues of Seaweed extract ?

Here's what I found:
    Here's what I found:
    Here's what I found:
    Here's what I found:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. luciusmaximus

Siting of compost bins

No, frozen uncooked veg will rot down just as well fresh veg, once it's unfrozen, lucius:thumbsup::snorky:
    No, frozen uncooked veg will rot down just as well fresh veg, once it's unfrozen, lucius:thumbsup::snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Greecko

Fresh Manure Compost

Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha!...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha! I know Ill get more out of it but was thinking of being lazy.I can get the manure regularly and...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha! I know Ill get more out of it but was thinking...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. larkstar

Will kiln dried sand (from newly relaid block paving/patio) spoil soil?

As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil that had a more than a dusting of sand on it - to make it easier I just flattened the surface first by...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil that had a more than a dusting of sand on it - to...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sandy Ground

Using cuttings from conifers

I usually get enough to fill a Ford Transit. Is that enough for you? :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice