1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Selleri
    Like x 3

Summer containers 2021/2022 ideas?

Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his partner. The other two followed us back to the UK....
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Pauline Adams

Potatoes in Containers

For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed potatoes ( I always used "Charlotte"), cover with another 9 inches or so of compost and then as the...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed potatoes ( I always used "Charlotte"), cover with...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ali H

Shallots in containers

Apart from the obvious like tomatoes, peppers and strawberries in nice sunny positions, french beans do quite well and you could always try a dwarf lettuce like "Little Gem" and radishes; herbs...
    Apart from the obvious like tomatoes, peppers and strawberries in nice sunny positions, french beans do quite well and you could always try a dwarf lettuce like "Little Gem" and radishes; herbs also do very well. I suppose you could try most things apart from root vegetables. The down side is...
    Apart from the obvious like tomatoes, peppers and strawberries in nice sunny positions, french beans do quite well and you could always try a dwarf lettuce like "Little Gem" and radishes; herbs also do very well. I suppose you could try most...
    Apart from the obvious like tomatoes, peppers and strawberries in nice sunny positions, french beans do quite well and you could always try a dwarf lettuce like "Little Gem" and radishes; herbs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Hannah

Container gardening

Hi julia,trying gartenperle myself (free with amateur gardening mag)I think Tumbler is usually the tom of choice for baskets and containers
    Hi julia,trying gartenperle myself (free with amateur gardening mag)I think Tumbler is usually the tom of choice for baskets and containers
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Malio

Container Ideas please

Hi, if your tubs are in the shade as you said, I'd plant begonias in the summer, they are really bright and colourful or bizzy lizzies,and ornamental kale or caulis in the winter, with a small...
    Hi, if your tubs are in the shade as you said, I'd plant begonias in the summer, they are really bright and colourful or bizzy lizzies,and ornamental kale or caulis in the winter, with a small conifer or an evergreen you can clip, like a box or variegated euonymus. pansies or primulas are good...
    Hi, if your tubs are in the shade as you said, I'd plant begonias in the summer, they are really bright and colourful or bizzy lizzies,and ornamental kale or caulis in the winter, with a small conifer or an evergreen you can clip, like a box or...
    Hi, if your tubs are in the shade as you said, I'd plant begonias in the summer, they are really bright and colourful or bizzy lizzies,and ornamental kale or caulis in the winter, with a small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Bluebell

Overwintering Container Plants.

Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little ...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little plastic greenhouse and found that my main problem was mildew etc. because it's hard to keep the plants...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little plastic greenhouse and found that my main problem was...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lilith

evergreen container climber?

As an addendum - just bought some evergreen ceanothus - lovely plant, lovely flower
    As an addendum - just bought some evergreen ceanothus - lovely plant, lovely flower
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Nik

Containers = Vine Weevil

If you've treated with Pravado, it will kick in and deals with whitefly too in the greenhouse as its a systemic - but yes, checking containers now and removing any seen should be done too....
    If you've treated with Pravado, it will kick in and deals with whitefly too in the greenhouse as its a systemic - but yes, checking containers now and removing any seen should be done too. Fortunately they quite often nestle in the compost close to the container wall.
    If you've treated with Pravado, it will kick in and deals with whitefly too in the greenhouse as its a systemic - but yes, checking containers now and removing any seen should be done too. Fortunately they quite often nestle in the compost close...
    If you've treated with Pravado, it will kick in and deals with whitefly too in the greenhouse as its a systemic - but yes, checking containers now and removing any seen should be done too....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. katljohnston

growing in covered containers

There are some things that will grow OK - after all you can grow mustard and cress on a piece of wet blotting paper.What you have seen growing in poly tunnels is probably a winter lettuce....
    There are some things that will grow OK - after all you can grow mustard and cress on a piece of wet blotting paper.What you have seen growing in poly tunnels is probably a winter lettuce. There's quite a few varieties and they might be suitable for cloche growing in a small garden. They are...
    There are some things that will grow OK - after all you can grow mustard and cress on a piece of wet blotting paper.What you have seen growing in poly tunnels is probably a winter lettuce. There's quite a few varieties and they might be...
    There are some things that will grow OK - after all you can grow mustard and cress on a piece of wet blotting paper.What you have seen growing in poly tunnels is probably a winter lettuce....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mitzitubs

solar fountain in a container

A two pack "West System" epoxy resin would do it too. It can be used to waterproof plywood aquariums, so it`s safe for fish and plants. Most fibreglass stockists would have it and probably boatyards.
    A two pack "West System" epoxy resin would do it too. It can be used to waterproof plywood aquariums, so it`s safe for fish and plants. Most fibreglass stockists would have it and probably boatyards.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jaci

Blueberries in containers

best thing to do is put the pots into position first, then put compost in, then plant. get some SWELL GEL add to compost, this absorbes 20 times more water and releases it slowly, so less watering!
    best thing to do is put the pots into position first, then put compost in, then plant. get some SWELL GEL add to compost, this absorbes 20 times more water and releases it slowly, so less watering!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ohbe

container spuds?

Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more compost, repeat till the barrel is filled to within a couple of inches from the top of the half...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more compost, repeat till the barrel is filled to within...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. robbo

container perennials

hi robbo,i suppose it depends on what you like.i love crocosmia, Lucifer, in pots (or anything)i have them in old chimney pots in my back yard .you can buy at wilkinsons (good price) and cos...
    hi robbo,i suppose it depends on what you like.i love crocosmia, Lucifer, in pots (or anything)i have them in old chimney pots in my back yard .you can buy at wilkinsons (good price) and cos they`re bulbs(they`re less hassle,you can also leave these-dont have to dig up and overwinter- in the...
    hi robbo,i suppose it depends on what you like.i love crocosmia, Lucifer, in pots (or anything)i have them in old chimney pots in my back yard .you can buy at wilkinsons (good price) and cos they`re bulbs(they`re less hassle,you can also leave...
    hi robbo,i suppose it depends on what you like.i love crocosmia, Lucifer, in pots (or anything)i have them in old chimney pots in my back yard .you can buy at wilkinsons (good price) and cos...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. paulo

aluminium containers

plastic grow-bags - plasticisers again!! :eek: :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pinklady

container strawberry's

I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right sweat boxes.Keep a battery thermometer in mine which records high and low temps and already this...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right sweat boxes.Keep a battery thermometer in mine...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. eleagnus7

container gardening

Many years ago when I had a nursery, an old chap came in with his 42 year old plant that he grew in a big washing-up bowl. The tuber was huge - about 45cms. in diameter and although the...
    Many years ago when I had a nursery, an old chap came in with his 42 year old plant that he grew in a big washing-up bowl. The tuber was huge - about 45cms. in diameter and although the individual flowers were just an ordinary shade of red, there were well over 200 of them. He told me it would...
    Many years ago when I had a nursery, an old chap came in with his 42 year old plant that he grew in a big washing-up bowl. The tuber was huge - about 45cms. in diameter and although the individual flowers were just an ordinary shade of red,...
    Many years ago when I had a nursery, an old chap came in with his 42 year old plant that he grew in a big washing-up bowl. The tuber was huge - about 45cms. in diameter and although the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. T

containers

Thank you both for your help I cant wait to have a go
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. dunglass

lupins in container

Lupins are not very long lasting in flower. Sounds like the heat has stressed them. If the flowers have died then dead head them and you may get another small crop - feed too.I love them but...
    Lupins are not very long lasting in flower. Sounds like the heat has stressed them. If the flowers have died then dead head them and you may get another small crop - feed too.I love them but they give a disapointingly short display for the ammount of room they take up.
    Lupins are not very long lasting in flower. Sounds like the heat has stressed them. If the flowers have died then dead head them and you may get another small crop - feed too.I love them but they give a disapointingly short display for the...
    Lupins are not very long lasting in flower. Sounds like the heat has stressed them. If the flowers have died then dead head them and you may get another small crop - feed too.I love them but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. morris28

Container Plants

If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular rose, but if it will only grow to 3 foot, then its quite small - so you won't need a huge pot - but it...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular rose, but if it will only grow to 3 foot, then its...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Scotkat

Autumn Containers

The nursery that I work at have hardy cyclamen, a bit too far away for you, I realise, but we have them every year so I'm sure they shouldn't be too difficult to locate locally. In our winter...
    The nursery that I work at have hardy cyclamen, a bit too far away for you, I realise, but we have them every year so I'm sure they shouldn't be too difficult to locate locally. In our winter containers we use mini shrubs (we buy them in as small shrubs for containers, but they are also sold at...
    The nursery that I work at have hardy cyclamen, a bit too far away for you, I realise, but we have them every year so I'm sure they shouldn't be too difficult to locate locally. In our winter containers we use mini shrubs (we buy them in as small...
    The nursery that I work at have hardy cyclamen, a bit too far away for you, I realise, but we have them every year so I'm sure they shouldn't be too difficult to locate locally. In our winter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. LooseLotty

loos rolls as root trainer containers

I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday...
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday carrot too.The roots seem to really form well. Cant see me buying pots any more !
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday carrot too.The roots seem to really form well. Cant...
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice