1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R
    Like x 11

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. misterQ
    Like x 6

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2018

@misterQ , great job on reporting your veggie trials , well done ! :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

TALLEST SUNFLOWER AND LARGEST SUNFLOWER HEAD 2018

Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine, wherever it comes from, is precious:spinning:
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN GROWING THREAD 2018

This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests were made with the varieties Kennebec, Netted Gem,...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

Last of the 2018 tomatoes
    Hello World WP_20180102_14_02_43_Pro.jpg 48D3B431-E6F9-4757-AEF9-8E0519E96575.jpeg DEC75AAC-6536-425B-AA75-41F2592C70BE.jpeg GC micro tom.jpg GC micro tom2.jpg micro toms.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2019

I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve R
    Like x 3

Vegetable Growing 2019

I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd be fine until I needed to start chitting them....
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    IMG_20190107_220747_hdr.jpg spudshoots.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14.   » Normal Threads
  15. Growmore

seed sowing times?

Depending on varieties.........Firstly , yes, you can usually start earlier in a greenhouse. But what I have below is a very broad answer to your question.Tomatoesin heated greenhouse, sow...
    Depending on varieties.........Firstly , yes, you can usually start earlier in a greenhouse. But what I have below is a very broad answer to your question.Tomatoesin heated greenhouse, sow late Dec to early january to transplant underglass late Feb to early March.unheated greenhouse, sow...
    Depending on varieties.........Firstly , yes, you can usually start earlier in a greenhouse. But what I have below is a very broad answer to your question.Tomatoesin heated greenhouse, sow late Dec to early january to transplant underglass...
    Depending on varieties.........Firstly , yes, you can usually start earlier in a greenhouse. But what I have below is a very broad answer to your question.Tomatoesin heated greenhouse, sow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. cgorman

Diverse Vegetables

Ooops. Cheers for that, URL was from memory.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fitzy

Growing pumpkins

HI Fitzy not grown pumpkins myself, but I thought they were usually grown along the ground. Perhaps with the fruits placed on a board, or similar, to keep them just clear of the ground.
    HI Fitzy not grown pumpkins myself, but I thought they were usually grown along the ground. Perhaps with the fruits placed on a board, or similar, to keep them just clear of the ground.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kev H

Garlic Chive Invasion!!

Kev,I would imagine a good dig over, removing all signs of chives would be a start, any you miss, when they start to grow, remove the whole clump.Sorry I can't think of any other...
    Kev,I would imagine a good dig over, removing all signs of chives would be a start, any you miss, when they start to grow, remove the whole clump.Sorry I can't think of any other way.Nathan.ps, thanks for registering.
    Kev,I would imagine a good dig over, removing all signs of chives would be a start, any you miss, when they start to grow, remove the whole clump.Sorry I can't think of any other way.Nathan.ps, thanks for registering.
    Kev,I would imagine a good dig over, removing all signs of chives would be a start, any you miss, when they start to grow, remove the whole clump.Sorry I can't think of any other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. alan

Leggy tomato plants

Alan,I sowed 3 Tomato seeds yesterday (sweet million), and am going to sow some more in about 4-6 weeks time, that way I will get a longer cropping period.Tomatoes can be sown in a greenhouse...
    Alan,I sowed 3 Tomato seeds yesterday (sweet million), and am going to sow some more in about 4-6 weeks time, that way I will get a longer cropping period.Tomatoes can be sown in a greenhouse in January, if they are going to stay in the greenhouse, for planting outside, you want to leave...
    Alan,I sowed 3 Tomato seeds yesterday (sweet million), and am going to sow some more in about 4-6 weeks time, that way I will get a longer cropping period.Tomatoes can be sown in a greenhouse in January, if they are going to stay in the...
    Alan,I sowed 3 Tomato seeds yesterday (sweet million), and am going to sow some more in about 4-6 weeks time, that way I will get a longer cropping period.Tomatoes can be sown in a greenhouse...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Izzy

courgette virus

Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during...
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during the growing season. Its always best to use fresh compost and clean pots anyway.pete
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during the growing season. Its always best to use fresh...
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. spademan19

carrots

Carrot only flies 15inches from the ground(I don't who worked that one out) errect a poly barrier two feet high round the bed. If the soil is clay try growing paramex which are round carrots about...
    Carrot only flies 15inches from the ground(I don't who worked that one out) errect a poly barrier two feet high round the bed. If the soil is clay try growing paramex which are round carrots about two inches across.
    Carrot only flies 15inches from the ground(I don't who worked that one out) errect a poly barrier two feet high round the bed. If the soil is clay try growing paramex which are round carrots about two inches across.
    Carrot only flies 15inches from the ground(I don't who worked that one out) errect a poly barrier two feet high round the bed. If the soil is clay try growing paramex which are round carrots about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Liz Giz

Raspberries

Thanks. My mother-out-law is due to visit for the weekend; I will wait till Monday and take out my frustration on the raspberries!
    Thanks. My mother-out-law is due to visit for the weekend; I will wait till Monday and take out my frustration on the raspberries!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. 0250e

TOMATOES

I grew Tomatillos a couple of years ago. Really needed to be grown under cover. Similar to physalis, in fact it is a physalis. Like cape gooseberry but larger and insipid flavour but the yanks and...
    I grew Tomatillos a couple of years ago. Really needed to be grown under cover. Similar to physalis, in fact it is a physalis. Like cape gooseberry but larger and insipid flavour but the yanks and mex like them.They've got some on ebay.
    I grew Tomatillos a couple of years ago. Really needed to be grown under cover. Similar to physalis, in fact it is a physalis. Like cape gooseberry but larger and insipid flavour but the yanks and mex like them.They've got some on ebay.
    I grew Tomatillos a couple of years ago. Really needed to be grown under cover. Similar to physalis, in fact it is a physalis. Like cape gooseberry but larger and insipid flavour but the yanks and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Buttercup

New Vegie Patch

Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or peat /peat substitute would not go amiss,if the soil is too dusty. You should have saved this...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or peat /peat substitute would not go amiss,if the...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Buttercup

potato soil

Hi Buttercup, I've grown potatoes for many years in soil with a neutral pH; just add some good old fashioned well rotted manure and I'm sure you'll get a decent crop.
    Hi Buttercup, I've grown potatoes for many years in soil with a neutral pH; just add some good old fashioned well rotted manure and I'm sure you'll get a decent crop.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. colin

CRANBERRY`S

www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. rblady

strawberries

No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided trays you can get for bedding plants would be OK. [ March 11, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by:...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided trays you can get for bedding plants would be OK. ...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. beans

Winter cabbages

Thanks for the reply maybe they were a little early, too much going on last year for me to remember now
    Thanks for the reply maybe they were a little early, too much going on last year for me to remember now
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. turl

Kale ornamental (Sunrise)

Probably best sown outdoors when the weather allows. Not sure but dont they colour up in the late autumn, like ornamental cabbage. If so your probably a bit early.
    Probably best sown outdoors when the weather allows. Not sure but dont they colour up in the late autumn, like ornamental cabbage. If so your probably a bit early.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. skrumpy

Asparagus

Thanks for your responses.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. choppy

Moving fruit trees? help

If they are already nicely situated and growing the safest and least stressfull option for the bushes is the 2nd one, one benefit is after scooping the weeds away you can replace the top section...
    If they are already nicely situated and growing the safest and least stressfull option for the bushes is the 2nd one, one benefit is after scooping the weeds away you can replace the top section with some better soil/compost (top dressing)
    If they are already nicely situated and growing the safest and least stressfull option for the bushes is the 2nd one, one benefit is after scooping the weeds away you can replace the top section with some better soil/compost (top dressing)
    If they are already nicely situated and growing the safest and least stressfull option for the bushes is the 2nd one, one benefit is after scooping the weeds away you can replace the top section...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. colin

CRANBERRY PLANTS

http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. lil-lisa

Pumpkins

Hi lil-LisaPumpkins are indeed very greedy. I follow Bob Flowerdew's advice & pinch out the growing tip when there are 2-3 baby pumpkins per plant (about 5cm diameter), otherwise it's energy...
    Hi lil-LisaPumpkins are indeed very greedy. I follow Bob Flowerdew's advice & pinch out the growing tip when there are 2-3 baby pumpkins per plant (about 5cm diameter), otherwise it's energy just goes into making more & more leaf & stem & they get really, really huge! Also I've found if you...
    Hi lil-LisaPumpkins are indeed very greedy. I follow Bob Flowerdew's advice & pinch out the growing tip when there are 2-3 baby pumpkins per plant (about 5cm diameter), otherwise it's energy just goes into making more & more leaf & stem & they...
    Hi lil-LisaPumpkins are indeed very greedy. I follow Bob Flowerdew's advice & pinch out the growing tip when there are 2-3 baby pumpkins per plant (about 5cm diameter), otherwise it's energy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. max

new veg garden

Just had a thought. You can buy fruit plants in pots at any time but they are much cheaper if you buy them bare rooted in winter. There might still be time to get rasp canes and berries but im...
    Just had a thought. You can buy fruit plants in pots at any time but they are much cheaper if you buy them bare rooted in winter. There might still be time to get rasp canes and berries but im not sure.Southern nurseries sometimes have sales of stock that is too late for their area but is...
    Just had a thought. You can buy fruit plants in pots at any time but they are much cheaper if you buy them bare rooted in winter. There might still be time to get rasp canes and berries but im not sure.Southern nurseries sometimes have...
    Just had a thought. You can buy fruit plants in pots at any time but they are much cheaper if you buy them bare rooted in winter. There might still be time to get rasp canes and berries but im...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options