Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. karaman

How do i make chalky soil for my grapevine?

Grape vines are remarkably tough and tolerant of soil conditions; I've seen them growing in everything from well mulched borders in a greenhouse, to sunbaked thin soil on schist. Have been advised...
    Grape vines are remarkably tough and tolerant of soil conditions; I've seen them growing in everything from well mulched borders in a greenhouse, to sunbaked thin soil on schist. Have been advised that you should throw a dead animal into the planting hole toget the vineoff to a good start. They...
    Grape vines are remarkably tough and tolerant of soil conditions; I've seen them growing in everything from well mulched borders in a greenhouse, to sunbaked thin soil on schist. Have been advised that you should throw a dead animal into the...
    Grape vines are remarkably tough and tolerant of soil conditions; I've seen them growing in everything from well mulched borders in a greenhouse, to sunbaked thin soil on schist. Have been advised...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kitte

Broad beans.

Yes, of course if you want to.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sarah100!

Strawberries not fruiting

If you decide to buy some strawberry plants it would be best to get them started in late summer so that they get rooted before winter and be raring to go next spring.
    If you decide to buy some strawberry plants it would be best to get them started in late summer so that they get rooted before winter and be raring to go next spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ricky101

Onion Sets problem

@ricky101 , Aminopyralid has also been found in bagged composted manure and could potentially be found in general (bagged) compost. Just sayin’…
    @ricky101 , Aminopyralid has also been found in bagged composted manure and could potentially be found in general (bagged) compost. Just sayin’…
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. TheMadHedger

Courgette fruits not growing?

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Jay9408

Garlic's looking good.

My plot was used as a horse pasture for a few years before i got it, that may have helped a little
    My plot was used as a horse pasture for a few years before i got it, that may have helped a little
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. TheMadHedger

Courgettes - should spent male flowers be removed as soon as they fold up and wilt?

Thanks all. I have a number of young plants right now and it's only over the past few days that they've started flowering. Mostly producing male flowers but a few female too (four so far) so I've...
    Thanks all. I have a number of young plants right now and it's only over the past few days that they've started flowering. Mostly producing male flowers but a few female too (four so far) so I've been fertilizing manually using a very small and soft paintbrush.As an aside, today another female...
    Thanks all. I have a number of young plants right now and it's only over the past few days that they've started flowering. Mostly producing male flowers but a few female too (four so far) so I've been fertilizing manually using a very small and...
    Thanks all. I have a number of young plants right now and it's only over the past few days that they've started flowering. Mostly producing male flowers but a few female too (four so far) so I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. TheMadHedger

Beetroot seeds - are they always so erratic to germinate?

Oh, I can let you have some cuttings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jowo

Over zealous raspberry!

Morning, yes all done. It was very easy so hopefully it'll still fruit! Thanks for your advice
    Morning, yes all done. It was very easy so hopefully it'll still fruit! Thanks for your advice
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ChrisWales

Horse manure in veg planter

I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio...
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio when my 11 year old starts "farming" it :) If it settles a bit I'll try and add some soil
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio when my 11 year old starts "farming" it :) If it...
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. burnie

First of 2023

Some Radish, French breakfast................well it's a start lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bear1

Peas germination

I never have much luck sowing peas straight in the ground, either too cold and they rot or mice eat them. If the mice miss them the pigeons won't.I start mine in pots in the greenhouse and...
    I never have much luck sowing peas straight in the ground, either too cold and they rot or mice eat them. If the mice miss them the pigeons won't.I start mine in pots in the greenhouse and transplant when they are about 6" tall. I sow about a dozen in a 5" pot.
    I never have much luck sowing peas straight in the ground, either too cold and they rot or mice eat them. If the mice miss them the pigeons won't.I start mine in pots in the greenhouse and transplant when they are about 6" tall. I sow about a...
    I never have much luck sowing peas straight in the ground, either too cold and they rot or mice eat them. If the mice miss them the pigeons won't.I start mine in pots in the greenhouse and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. burnie

Raised beds, a short video, just click on the link

Things are now beginning to get going despite the weather, click on the link to watch a very short video. - growing our own organic vegetables by tigerburnie, on Flickr
    Things are now beginning to get going despite the weather, click on the link to watch a very short video. - growing our own organic vegetables by tigerburnie, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hanglow
    Informative x 3

The benefit of fleece in spring

I'll be using mine on the potatoes if we have another really cold snap, as they won't all fit in the greenhouse now.
    I'll be using mine on the potatoes if we have another really cold snap, as they won't all fit in the greenhouse now.
    IMG_20230429_093934948.jpg IMG_20230429_093914349_HDR.jpg IMG_20230430_135540590.jpg IMG_20230430_184706264_HDR~2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. dogsbody

too late?

Thanks Pete. I'd better get busy
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Esoxlucius

Fruit/veg seeds.

There's a guy on you tube who grows fantastically fruit laden plants from the seeds from produce he's bought at the shops, (strawberries, tomatoes and peppers I've seen up to now), on a balcony,...
    There's a guy on you tube who grows fantastically fruit laden plants from the seeds from produce he's bought at the shops, (strawberries, tomatoes and peppers I've seen up to now), on a balcony, using old cut down plastic milk bottles as growing pots! Proper basic, but extremely...
    There's a guy on you tube who grows fantastically fruit laden plants from the seeds from produce he's bought at the shops, (strawberries, tomatoes and peppers I've seen up to now), on a balcony, using old cut down plastic milk bottles as growing...
    There's a guy on you tube who grows fantastically fruit laden plants from the seeds from produce he's bought at the shops, (strawberries, tomatoes and peppers I've seen up to now), on a balcony,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. dogsbody

Chitting

Thanks John, I was under the impression that something that is going to take 3 months and often left in the ground longer than that wouldn't benefit. Interesting. :blue thumb:
    Thanks John, I was under the impression that something that is going to take 3 months and often left in the ground longer than that wouldn't benefit. Interesting. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul Blackburn

Sowing Runner beans and Potatoes

I've only just put some in pots yesturday, but with be doing more in 2 weeks time, then another 2 weeks and so on, Half my spuds was planted last week in the nice sunshine and i will plant more...
    I've only just put some in pots yesturday, but with be doing more in 2 weeks time, then another 2 weeks and so on, Half my spuds was planted last week in the nice sunshine and i will plant more when it warms up again
    I've only just put some in pots yesturday, but with be doing more in 2 weeks time, then another 2 weeks and so on, Half my spuds was planted last week in the nice sunshine and i will plant more when it warms up again
    I've only just put some in pots yesturday, but with be doing more in 2 weeks time, then another 2 weeks and so on, Half my spuds was planted last week in the nice sunshine and i will plant more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul Blackburn

Sweetcorn Problem

I have found 12 3.5in Pots so will plant the seeds at the end of the month
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Esoxlucius

Thrown in at the deep end!

Personally I'd add a bagful of multipurpose compost in the soil. It's easy on seedlings whereas garden soil can be quite lumpy and uneven- but obviously it depends on what you've got. My heavy...
    Personally I'd add a bagful of multipurpose compost in the soil. It's easy on seedlings whereas garden soil can be quite lumpy and uneven- but obviously it depends on what you've got. My heavy clay would just laugh at seeds :heehee:May is great time to start sowing and planting salady stuff. To...
    Personally I'd add a bagful of multipurpose compost in the soil. It's easy on seedlings whereas garden soil can be quite lumpy and uneven- but obviously it depends on what you've got. My heavy clay would just laugh at seeds :heehee:May is great time to...
    Personally I'd add a bagful of multipurpose compost in the soil. It's easy on seedlings whereas garden soil can be quite lumpy and uneven- but obviously it depends on what you've got. My heavy...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice