1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Paul Blackburn

How to grow watermelon

Paul, this info may help you:How to grow melons / RHS Gardening
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Paul Blackburn

How to grow asparagus

Paul, this info may help youHow to grow asparagus / RHS Gardening
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Effy66

Turnips not forming

Hi there!So, five years at current home. First year I sowed turnips very successful with good roots. Every year since - nothing, just long, twisty tapering roots that hang on the surface or...
    Hi there!So, five years at current home. First year I sowed turnips very successful with good roots. Every year since - nothing, just long, twisty tapering roots that hang on the surface or very small balls. It's decent soil, emptied the contents of my compost bin on to it a couple of...
    Hi there!So, five years at current home. First year I sowed turnips very successful with good roots. Every year since - nothing, just long, twisty tapering roots that hang on the surface or very small balls. It's decent soil, emptied the...
    Hi there!So, five years at current home. First year I sowed turnips very successful with good roots. Every year since - nothing, just long, twisty tapering roots that hang on the surface or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. MaLiorzh
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Loofah

Fig

With figs I always try to pinch out the growing point after 4 leaves have formed, they will grow leggy if you let them. It encourages side shooting at the same time as encouraging fruiting. If it...
    With figs I always try to pinch out the growing point after 4 leaves have formed, they will grow leggy if you let them. It encourages side shooting at the same time as encouraging fruiting. If it is too leggy, the only real option is to cut the stems back by half in winter, but this will delay...
    With figs I always try to pinch out the growing point after 4 leaves have formed, they will grow leggy if you let them. It encourages side shooting at the same time as encouraging fruiting. If it is too leggy, the only real option is to cut the...
    With figs I always try to pinch out the growing point after 4 leaves have formed, they will grow leggy if you let them. It encourages side shooting at the same time as encouraging fruiting. If it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. jane0o0

Cucumber Leaves Problem

They will catch up Jane, albeit a little late. I sowed my second batch 12 days ago and they grow very fast at this time of the year.Mine germinated indoors without any extra heat in 4 days.
    They will catch up Jane, albeit a little late. I sowed my second batch 12 days ago and they grow very fast at this time of the year.Mine germinated indoors without any extra heat in 4 days.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. thriftybri

electric daisys

citrus tang ...good god I would be bad :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. HarryS

Sweet Pepper when to pick ?

You’re a ‘one’ Harry :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Notty1975
    Like x 3

First crop of the year

Nice one Notty :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. MaLiorzh

Green Shiso germination problems - Perilla Frutescens Crispa

Using the bicolored Perilla Frutescens my best results where with soaked seeds, peat based compost, light covering of vermiculite, in a transparent plastic box on the kitchen table in full sun.
    Using the bicolored Perilla Frutescens my best results where with soaked seeds, peat based compost, light covering of vermiculite, in a transparent plastic box on the kitchen table in full sun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. FlourishAnn

Cherry tomatoes - kinds

Got mine 3 weeks or so ago JWK. Already plants are 40 to 60 cm high.They will grow fast :)
    Got mine 3 weeks or so ago JWK. Already plants are 40 to 60 cm high.They will grow fast :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

Wild Garlic / Ramsons

I could try that with some Lancashire crumbly, a bit like Feta for people born north of Crewe! Thank you!
    I could try that with some Lancashire crumbly, a bit like Feta for people born north of Crewe! Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jane0o0

Tomato Suckers

Hi, I definitely wouldn't grow cordon and bush together. It would end up a tangled mess. I don't even grow cordon in a grow bag for the same reason. Each to their own pot. Toms can be like...
    Hi, I definitely wouldn't grow cordon and bush together. It would end up a tangled mess. I don't even grow cordon in a grow bag for the same reason. Each to their own pot. Toms can be like mischievous children! As my grandma would say " give them an inch, they'll take a mile" :biggrin: Keep an eye on...
    Hi, I definitely wouldn't grow cordon and bush together. It would end up a tangled mess. I don't even grow cordon in a grow bag for the same reason. Each to their own pot. Toms can be like mischievous children! As my grandma would say " give them...
    Hi, I definitely wouldn't grow cordon and bush together. It would end up a tangled mess. I don't even grow cordon in a grow bag for the same reason. Each to their own pot. Toms can be like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Peter K

Nematodes

Grow onions, leek and garlic with carrots. Old school method of dealing with carrot fly but it works. As an aside, Amarantus and sweetcorn are good companion plants to break up the soil for...
    Grow onions, leek and garlic with carrots. Old school method of dealing with carrot fly but it works. As an aside, Amarantus and sweetcorn are good companion plants to break up the soil for better if that is an issue.
    Grow onions, leek and garlic with carrots. Old school method of dealing with carrot fly but it works. As an aside, Amarantus and sweetcorn are good companion plants to break up the soil for better if that is an issue.
    Grow onions, leek and garlic with carrots. Old school method of dealing with carrot fly but it works. As an aside, Amarantus and sweetcorn are good companion plants to break up the soil for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Aldo

Tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries in Acqua Lock hanging baskets

Apologies if this should go into Containers Gardening rather than Edible Gardening. Please feel free to move as appropriate if this is the wrong section.Space in the garden is limited, so,...
    Apologies if this should go into Containers Gardening rather than Edible Gardening. Please feel free to move as appropriate if this is the wrong section.Space in the garden is limited, so, having found a reasonable deal on Acqua Lock self-watering baskets, I purchased a few 16 inches...
    Apologies if this should go into Containers Gardening rather than Edible Gardening. Please feel free to move as appropriate if this is the wrong section.Space in the garden is limited, so, having found a reasonable deal on Acqua Lock...
    Apologies if this should go into Containers Gardening rather than Edible Gardening. Please feel free to move as appropriate if this is the wrong section.Space in the garden is limited, so,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. silu

Deer protection

I would guess that the suppliers of the cages do different types and quality of netting so they should be able to give you the right one.
    I would guess that the suppliers of the cages do different types and quality of netting so they should be able to give you the right one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve R
    Like x 4

Seed sowing gadget

I bought one of those things and the same thing happened to me :heehee:I vote that the is for
    I bought one of those things and the same thing happened to me :heehee:I vote that the is for
    73F5F766-90C6-4E83-8A55-349CC5F790F4.jpeg 776606A6-BAF6-4B54-8F3A-F929560094D9.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kf1313

Potato chitting help

@Marley Farley we have no shortage of wind up here . Luckily my garden is sheltered but gd to know about that.
    @Marley Farley we have no shortage of wind up here . Luckily my garden is sheltered but gd to know about that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sargan

Cuscumber plants failing

I should qualify that, move outdoors during the day and bring into your house over-night.
    I should qualify that, move outdoors during the day and bring into your house over-night.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Aldo

Strawberries from runners - How to keep them protected and fed in the garden over the winter?

Enjoy your strawberries.....you will need plenty of clotted cream, Cornish of course :idea:
    Enjoy your strawberries.....you will need plenty of clotted cream, Cornish of course :idea:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options