1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Bear1

Curse those slugs

You describe it as 3m square. In that sized plot you can police it intensively. Suggest you clear all hiding places within ,say 5m, on all sides. Remove grass if its a path. Replace with...
    You describe it as 3m square. In that sized plot you can police it intensively. Suggest you clear all hiding places within ,say 5m, on all sides. Remove grass if its a path. Replace with woodchip/bark. Consider putting 'slug pubs' outside the plot.Grow plants and plant out when they are 75-100mm...
    You describe it as 3m square. In that sized plot you can police it intensively. Suggest you clear all hiding places within ,say 5m, on all sides. Remove grass if its a path. Replace with woodchip/bark. Consider putting 'slug pubs' outside the...
    You describe it as 3m square. In that sized plot you can police it intensively. Suggest you clear all hiding places within ,say 5m, on all sides. Remove grass if its a path. Replace with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Selleri

Edible gardening with a twist- share your experiments

I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps enough to feed the family but at least the aphids are happy. And to be honest, for half a 10p bag of...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps enough to feed the family but at least the aphids are...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps...
    nepa.jpg beans1.jpg beans2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Bear1

New apple tree pruning

Thanks for all the advice guys , have a new pair of loppers so will get to work on it when the rain stops blowing sideways lol its a bit of an exposed site but I am determined to get fruit trees...
    Thanks for all the advice guys , have a new pair of loppers so will get to work on it when the rain stops blowing sideways lol its a bit of an exposed site but I am determined to get fruit trees in first to bring some structure before planting anything else more delicate , glad I asked my...
    Thanks for all the advice guys , have a new pair of loppers so will get to work on it when the rain stops blowing sideways lol its a bit of an exposed site but I am determined to get fruit trees in first to bring some structure before planting...
    Thanks for all the advice guys , have a new pair of loppers so will get to work on it when the rain stops blowing sideways lol its a bit of an exposed site but I am determined to get fruit trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. hi2u_uk

Blackcurrant Ben Connan growing

What kind of soil do you have? It is always worthwhile providing details of (approx) location and soil type. While 18" may be ideal, they will make the best of what there is. Plenty of organic...
    What kind of soil do you have? It is always worthwhile providing details of (approx) location and soil type. While 18" may be ideal, they will make the best of what there is. Plenty of organic matter/bonemeal will help. Mine do alright without that depth of viable soil, having marine clay /silt...
    What kind of soil do you have? It is always worthwhile providing details of (approx) location and soil type. While 18" may be ideal, they will make the best of what there is. Plenty of organic matter/bonemeal will help. Mine do alright without...
    What kind of soil do you have? It is always worthwhile providing details of (approx) location and soil type. While 18" may be ideal, they will make the best of what there is. Plenty of organic...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2022

I found a bit of blight on a couple of outdoor plants yesterday and more rain is forecast, so I decided to bin the lot. A pity because many plants were still churning out fruit. Ripening Central...
    I found a bit of blight on a couple of outdoor plants yesterday and more rain is forecast, so I decided to bin the lot. A pity because many plants were still churning out fruit. Ripening Central is back up and running and I have loads cooked down and frozen. Still have Santorini going in the...
    I found a bit of blight on a couple of outdoor plants yesterday and more rain is forecast, so I decided to bin the lot. A pity because many plants were still churning out fruit. Ripening Central is back up and running and I have loads cooked...
    I found a bit of blight on a couple of outdoor plants yesterday and more rain is forecast, so I decided to bin the lot. A pity because many plants were still churning out fruit. Ripening Central...
    20220729_093124.jpg 20220729_093905.jpg 20220821_165716.jpg 20220821_165906.jpg IMG_20221028_091757.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. barryman

ID a type of pear, please

Clue to diseased pear tree ???? Below are photos of the diseased leaves mentioned above. Any clue as to what it is ???
    Clue to diseased pear tree ???? Below are photos of the diseased leaves mentioned above. Any clue as to what it is ???
    BM-20221015_110615.jpg BM-20221015_110740.jpg BM-20221015_110945.jpg BM-20221016_120721.jpg BM-20221016_120806.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Bear

Apple scab

I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to stop it coming back /kill it ? Also thinking of buying a ballyvaughan seedling apple tree is a irish...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to stop it coming back /kill it ? Also thinking of...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jocko

How do I grow apples?

My apples have actually turned out wonderfully. They are sweet and juicy if a little small, but next year I will thin them out a bit after the spring drop. I have a grease band ready to apply...
    My apples have actually turned out wonderfully. They are sweet and juicy if a little small, but next year I will thin them out a bit after the spring drop. I have a grease band ready to apply later in the season and I will do a bit of winter spraying with a Neem oil solution. It was only the...
    My apples have actually turned out wonderfully. They are sweet and juicy if a little small, but next year I will thin them out a bit after the spring drop. I have a grease band ready to apply later in the season and I will do a bit of winter...
    My apples have actually turned out wonderfully. They are sweet and juicy if a little small, but next year I will thin them out a bit after the spring drop. I have a grease band ready to apply...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Runner beans not setting

I'm still picking runners but they are getting close to finishing.Any of them that get blackfly I just get rid of them by hosing them with the setting on jet. Works for me.
    I'm still picking runners but they are getting close to finishing.Any of them that get blackfly I just get rid of them by hosing them with the setting on jet. Works for me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Brian L

Can I take Raspberry cuttings ?

Feed, water and mulch now. You should have new canes/suckers to divide next spring.
    Feed, water and mulch now. You should have new canes/suckers to divide next spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK

Onion Growing 2022

I've grown Egyptian tree onions, and mine did, so maybe you got sold something else?I'm thinking back years now to when Medwyn Williams used to write in Garden News magazine, and I think he used...
    I've grown Egyptian tree onions, and mine did, so maybe you got sold something else?I'm thinking back years now to when Medwyn Williams used to write in Garden News magazine, and I think he used to sell these from his prize winners.
    I've grown Egyptian tree onions, and mine did, so maybe you got sold something else?I'm thinking back years now to when Medwyn Williams used to write in Garden News magazine, and I think he used to sell these from his prize winners.
    I've grown Egyptian tree onions, and mine did, so maybe you got sold something else?I'm thinking back years now to when Medwyn Williams used to write in Garden News magazine, and I think he used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Oldman2

New lawn sucker from old pear tree.

Or, you could graft a bit of the old tree onto the sucker, once it's growing away well, in a couple of years, you could get rid of the old tree.
    Or, you could graft a bit of the old tree onto the sucker, once it's growing away well, in a couple of years, you could get rid of the old tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jowo

Cauliflower advice please

Water or spray the plants with a solution of table salt and water, 10grams (2 teaspoons) per litre. Treat again after 2 days. Only works on contact with caterpillars on brassicas, which are salt...
    Water or spray the plants with a solution of table salt and water, 10grams (2 teaspoons) per litre. Treat again after 2 days. Only works on contact with caterpillars on brassicas, which are salt tolerant at this concentration. ( L H HILLS -Organic Gardening) ISBN 10: 0140462465ISBN 13:...
    Water or spray the plants with a solution of table salt and water, 10grams (2 teaspoons) per litre. Treat again after 2 days. Only works on contact with caterpillars on brassicas, which are salt tolerant at this concentration. ( L H HILLS...
    Water or spray the plants with a solution of table salt and water, 10grams (2 teaspoons) per litre. Treat again after 2 days. Only works on contact with caterpillars on brassicas, which are salt...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Clueless 1 v2

Pruning my apple tree

No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need to take out any growth from the centre. You're supposed to be able to throw a hat up through the...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need to take out any growth from the centre. You're...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Clueless 1 v2

Juicy dessert apple for late harvesting - starting September

Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not really red, Queen Cox is redder. There is also Red Falstaff. This link could be worth a look Apple...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not really red, Queen Cox is redder. There is also Red...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ChrisWales

Where to source "clean" organic compost for my veg planter?

I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the...
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the 4 weeks. Could just be internet nonsense though :)
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the 4 weeks. Could just be internet nonsense though :)
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Clueless 1 v2

A couple of courgette questions

Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering,...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering, they did and are producing lovely cucumbers again :) I always have cut off the mildewy leaves on...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering, they did and are producing lovely cucumbers again :)...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Welshman

Cucumbers

We cant eat our cucumbers quick enough, so have started giving them to neighbours and inlaws
    We cant eat our cucumbers quick enough, so have started giving them to neighbours and inlaws
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ChrisWales

Complete novice with empty veg planter(s)

Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat?...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat? Personally I wouldn't use such a premium, limited space for anything that supermarkets sell cheaply...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat? Personally I wouldn't use such a premium, limited...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat?...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Howard Stone

Please recommend me a plum tree

For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang a pheromone trap in the tree in early spring. This site might be of some help.....Dessert - Self...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang a pheromone trap in the tree in early spring. This...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice