1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Clueless 1 v2

Pruning my apple tree

No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need to take out any growth from the centre. You're supposed to be able to throw a hat up through the...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need to take out any growth from the centre. You're...
    No you won't! :biggrin: Nature's very forgiving.... Yes, cut off the lowest branches if they're a nuisance. Yes, cut out crossing branches. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see whether you need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Clueless 1 v2

Juicy dessert apple for late harvesting - starting September

Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not really red, Queen Cox is redder. There is also Red Falstaff. This link could be worth a look Apple...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not really red, Queen Cox is redder. There is also Red...
    Spartan, definitely red and juicy may be a bit late for you; Harvest October it says, mine are generally eaten by then. Laxtons Superb again October, but lovely. Cox is ready in September but not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ChrisWales

Where to source "clean" organic compost for my veg planter?

I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the...
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the 4 weeks. Could just be internet nonsense though :)
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the 4 weeks. Could just be internet nonsense though :)
    I was watching a clip the other day called something like "turning horse manure into compost in four weeks" and they just covered it over with plastic and turned it over during the middle of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Clueless 1 v2

A couple of courgette questions

Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering,...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering, they did and are producing lovely cucumbers again :) I always have cut off the mildewy leaves on...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering, they did and are producing lovely cucumbers again :)...
    Loosely related...when my polytunnel cucumbers got mosaic virus and RSM, I binned most but cut back a couple of Telegraph plants to see if they'd re-generate. With some TLC and regular watering,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Welshman

Cucumbers

We cant eat our cucumbers quick enough, so have started giving them to neighbours and inlaws
    We cant eat our cucumbers quick enough, so have started giving them to neighbours and inlaws
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ChrisWales

Complete novice with empty veg planter(s)

Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat?...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat? Personally I wouldn't use such a premium, limited space for anything that supermarkets sell cheaply...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat? Personally I wouldn't use such a premium, limited...
    Hi @ChrisWales , welcome!The planters look brilliant, very neat and smart. :)I'm leaving the soil and drainage questions to the experts, but regarding what to plant:What do you like to eat?...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Howard Stone

Please recommend me a plum tree

For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang a pheromone trap in the tree in early spring. This site might be of some help.....Dessert - Self...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang a pheromone trap in the tree in early spring. This...
    For the best flavour, opt for a greengage. Denniston's Superb (aka Imperial Gage) is self fertile. I'm not sure that any variety is especially resistant to pests. To prevent moth problems, hang...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Clueless 1 v2

Pulling the plug on my potatoes

It's cost me all of £4.70 for the seeds including delivery, and the front garden is doing nothing now til next spring, so I haven't really got anything to lose by trying.
    It's cost me all of £4.70 for the seeds including delivery, and the front garden is doing nothing now til next spring, so I haven't really got anything to lose by trying.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Clueless 1 v2

Window sill edibles

I'd try watercress.' Aqua' from Unwins, in tray or pots. Doesn't need running water but is best kept well damp. When it eventually runs to seed, save and resow.
    I'd try watercress.' Aqua' from Unwins, in tray or pots. Doesn't need running water but is best kept well damp. When it eventually runs to seed, save and resow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Clueless 1 v2

More plums than we can eat

It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and...
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and even higher on a reflective surface.
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and even higher on a reflective surface.
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Welshman

Fellow edible gardeners

How deep is the soil? You can plant certain varieties of potato now for late autumn cropping.Autumn and Christmas 'potatoes' - potato collection
    How deep is the soil? You can plant certain varieties of potato now for late autumn cropping.Autumn and Christmas 'potatoes' - potato collection
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Clueless 1 v2

Question for the.... Natural historians

History Of Jam, Jelly, & Preserves
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. teddy6

Can anyone name this herb for me

I think thyme as well. Rub the leaves and it should smell of thyme.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Michael04

Cucamelons

Hoooo..that's you and JWK off the Christmas card list! lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ricky101

Blackberry Merton Thornless

Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old Merton which looks even poorer after the heatwave. Will give it a foliar feed and see if that perks it...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old Merton which looks even poorer after the...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Clueless 1 v2

All the things I didn't know I didn't know about cucumber

This is fascinating. Lots of useless but interesting info about cucumbers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. mazambo

Rhubarb?

More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. dogsbody

Tall spuds

Excellent idea John, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Clueless 1 v2
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jowo

Room for Aubergines

Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with diluted washing up liquid and hoping that does the...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice