1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
  2. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Things that get into the compost Sheal, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Clematis Problems x 2 , Help Loopylupin, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM
  4. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Carl's Garden Project Carllennon, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM
  5. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Pole Hedge Trimmer Irmemac, Sep 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM
  6. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: How to overwinter my seedlings Verdun, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM
  7. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: To seal or not to seal Verdun, Sep 4, 2017
  8. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Baby bird identification Tetters, Jul 5, 2017
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Verdun

My new toy!

I got a leaf blower and vacuum last summer and it is still my favourite gadget in the garden. It is great for lifting autumn leaves and chopping them into bits to make leaf mound, but we have lots...
    I got a leaf blower and vacuum last summer and it is still my favourite gadget in the garden. It is great for lifting autumn leaves and chopping them into bits to make leaf mound, but we have lots of hedges and it is so much easier to lift the trimmings now. I also love how it picks up fallen...
    I got a leaf blower and vacuum last summer and it is still my favourite gadget in the garden. It is great for lifting autumn leaves and chopping them into bits to make leaf mound, but we have lots of hedges and it is so much easier to lift the...
    I got a leaf blower and vacuum last summer and it is still my favourite gadget in the garden. It is great for lifting autumn leaves and chopping them into bits to make leaf mound, but we have lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Linz
    Like x 6

Village flower and veg show.

I read through that link you gave me the other day, that blokes gutters and tower on the side of the house was immense! Going down allotment diary blokes route of doing them in tubes in a big...
    I read through that link you gave me the other day, that blokes gutters and tower on the side of the house was immense! Going down allotment diary blokes route of doing them in tubes in a big box.. I got tubes and I have a box..also got enviromesh..:fingers crossed:I got some ailsa Craig onion seeds too.. was...
    I read through that link you gave me the other day, that blokes gutters and tower on the side of the house was immense! Going down allotment diary blokes route of doing them in tubes in a big box.. I got tubes and I have a box..also got...
    I read through that link you gave me the other day, that blokes gutters and tower on the side of the house was immense! Going down allotment diary blokes route of doing them in tubes in a big...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Verdun

Problems with nematode application

I had the same problem. I decanted mine into a metal watering can with a coarse rose, which worked, but it has put me off buying them next year.
    I had the same problem. I decanted mine into a metal watering can with a coarse rose, which worked, but it has put me off buying them next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Mike77

Alternative Lawn - Heath Pearlwort

Update on this. I bough 5 plugs from victoriananursery about a week ago. I've planted them as a test and I'll see how they fair through the winter and spring. If the test is successful and they...
    Update on this. I bough 5 plugs from victoriananursery about a week ago. I've planted them as a test and I'll see how they fair through the winter and spring. If the test is successful and they don't die I'll consider doing the full lawn.
    Update on this. I bough 5 plugs from victoriananursery about a week ago. I've planted them as a test and I'll see how they fair through the winter and spring. If the test is successful and they don't die I'll consider doing the full lawn.
    Update on this. I bough 5 plugs from victoriananursery about a week ago. I've planted them as a test and I'll see how they fair through the winter and spring. If the test is successful and they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fat Controller
    Like x 4

What will you grow again (including overwintering)

Never overwintered Nepata . But when you buy the plants in spring , they can be easily split to double your plants. Bacopa can flower through to late November . I have grown from seed , but now...
    Never overwintered Nepata . But when you buy the plants in spring , they can be easily split to double your plants. Bacopa can flower through to late November . I have grown from seed , but now prefer the larger flowered plug plants . Would be difficult to over winter without a heated...
    Never overwintered Nepata . But when you buy the plants in spring , they can be easily split to double your plants. Bacopa can flower through to late November . I have grown from seed , but now prefer the larger flowered plug plants . Would be...
    Never overwintered Nepata . But when you buy the plants in spring , they can be easily split to double your plants. Bacopa can flower through to late November . I have grown from seed , but now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sweet-pea66
    Like x 14

Won an award !!!

Thanks.will be interesting to see what I get ... Watch this space. Xxx
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Verdun
    Agree x 7

Right or wrong?

Has you asked, dead calfs from local farms and a few other things :mute:;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 5

A Visit to the Eden Project

Ok. It seems like I may have exaggerated. I found 3 photos. Not particularly good ones at that. I would have taken more but I don't know what I did with them.G.
    Ok. It seems like I may have exaggerated. I found 3 photos. Not particularly good ones at that. I would have taken more but I don't know what I did with them.G.
    Snapseed.jpg IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0746.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Sandra-Tingle

Fast growing Clematis and Honeysuckle advice

Amazon have a conifer version for £19.99 at the moment (1mx3m) or, same size, the ivy version £24.99 (other retailers are available :heehee: )
    Amazon have a conifer version for £19.99 at the moment (1mx3m) or, same size, the ivy version £24.99 (other retailers are available :heehee: )
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Tetters

To keep or not to keep - that`s the question...

My house came with rose bushes everywhere. I have taken most of them out. They grew in the most inconvenient places and just looked awful. I have kept the two in the front yard. They flower pretty...
    My house came with rose bushes everywhere. I have taken most of them out. They grew in the most inconvenient places and just looked awful. I have kept the two in the front yard. They flower pretty well. I'm hoping with a bit of thought I can bring a bit of shape back to them.G.
    My house came with rose bushes everywhere. I have taken most of them out. They grew in the most inconvenient places and just looked awful. I have kept the two in the front yard. They flower pretty well. I'm hoping with a bit of thought I can...
    My house came with rose bushes everywhere. I have taken most of them out. They grew in the most inconvenient places and just looked awful. I have kept the two in the front yard. They flower pretty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Verdun

Remember to order nematodes

Morning Harry. :) I ordered online. Compare prices...they vary a bit. For lawns down here the first week or two in September is best. When you first see daddylonglegs flying about it is time to...
    Morning Harry. :) I ordered online. Compare prices...they vary a bit. For lawns down here the first week or two in September is best. When you first see daddylonglegs flying about it is time to apply nematodes.:)
    Morning Harry. :) I ordered online. Compare prices...they vary a bit. For lawns down here the first week or two in September is best. When you first see daddylonglegs flying about it is time to apply nematodes.:)
    Morning Harry. :) I ordered online. Compare prices...they vary a bit. For lawns down here the first week or two in September is best. When you first see daddylonglegs flying about it is time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. glasgowdan

Redesigning the whole garden - thought processes

I think that looks very promising @glasgowdan! If it was my garden I would try creating a 'point of interest' in the middle of the far wall, on that section of slabs. Something for the eye to...
    I think that looks very promising @glasgowdan! If it was my garden I would try creating a 'point of interest' in the middle of the far wall, on that section of slabs. Something for the eye to rest on, when you look out of the house/ conservatory and down the garden. Maybe try something...
    I think that looks very promising @glasgowdan! If it was my garden I would try creating a 'point of interest' in the middle of the far wall, on that section of slabs. Something for the eye to rest on, when you look out of the house/...
    I think that looks very promising @glasgowdan! If it was my garden I would try creating a 'point of interest' in the middle of the far wall, on that section of slabs. Something for the eye to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JDQuinn

How to improve my hedge

Hi,The trees pictured are all on the north side. The garden is flooded in sunshine from morning to night. The pictures were taken around 9.30 pm which is why it's appears shaded. Thanks for...
    Hi,The trees pictured are all on the north side. The garden is flooded in sunshine from morning to night. The pictures were taken around 9.30 pm which is why it's appears shaded. Thanks for the reply. Even since the pictures the great growing weather we are having has put a bit more...
    Hi,The trees pictured are all on the north side. The garden is flooded in sunshine from morning to night. The pictures were taken around 9.30 pm which is why it's appears shaded. Thanks for the reply. Even since the pictures the great...
    Hi,The trees pictured are all on the north side. The garden is flooded in sunshine from morning to night. The pictures were taken around 9.30 pm which is why it's appears shaded. Thanks for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Verdun

Best clematis for prolonged flowering

Landsowne GemI think it all comes down to personal taste with choosing Clematis. I have several Clematis of similar colour to Landsowne Gem, so it's a pretty Clematis:love30: but I would probably add...
    Landsowne GemI think it all comes down to personal taste with choosing Clematis. I have several Clematis of similar colour to Landsowne Gem, so it's a pretty Clematis:love30: but I would probably add other Clematis varieties into the garden.:dunno::snorky:
    Landsowne GemI think it all comes down to personal taste with choosing Clematis. I have several Clematis of similar colour to Landsowne Gem, so it's a pretty Clematis:love30: but I would probably add other Clematis varieties into the garden.:dunno::snorky:
    Landsowne GemI think it all comes down to personal taste with choosing Clematis. I have several Clematis of similar colour to Landsowne Gem, so it's a pretty Clematis:love30: but I would probably add...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Zander

Help needed

Thanks very much for the information hate buying plants when there's no name tags on them but it was so nice I just had to thanks again
    Thanks very much for the information hate buying plants when there's no name tags on them but it was so nice I just had to thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Redwing
    Like x 4

White Verbena Bonariensis

Haha....I await my fortune.:Wino: Trials are beginning.I took cuttings this morning so we shall see. On close examination it is on the same plant that has some white flowers, some purple flowers and...
    Haha....I await my fortune.:Wino: Trials are beginning.I took cuttings this morning so we shall see. On close examination it is on the same plant that has some white flowers, some purple flowers and some a mixture, as in these pictures. I guess this is what @Verdun means by stable or not. My camera...
    Haha....I await my fortune.:Wino: Trials are beginning.I took cuttings this morning so we shall see. On close examination it is on the same plant that has some white flowers, some purple flowers and some a mixture, as in these pictures. I guess this...
    Haha....I await my fortune.:Wino: Trials are beginning.I took cuttings this morning so we shall see. On close examination it is on the same plant that has some white flowers, some purple flowers and...
    IMG_6090aresize.JPG IMG_6094aresize.JPG IMG_6125resize.JPG IMG_6114resize.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Conbrue

Using cuttings under soil

Thanks, the depth is the size of a sleeper stood up so about a foot. How would you fill it? Soil from the garden then topped with compost?Ta
    Thanks, the depth is the size of a sleeper stood up so about a foot. How would you fill it? Soil from the garden then topped with compost?Ta
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Verdun
    Like x 3

What's on your wish list or what's new in your garden?

:comfort::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jiffy
    Like x 5

Green Plastic Netting

We phoned a farmer because his bullocks were out on the highway and we were called Bl###y Trouble makers, next time they were out we didn't phone him :rasp:and his bullocks when to town for a day out :snorky::Wino:...
    We phoned a farmer because his bullocks were out on the highway and we were called Bl###y Trouble makers, next time they were out we didn't phone him :rasp:and his bullocks when to town for a day out :snorky::Wino:naughty Jiffy:biggrin:
    We phoned a farmer because his bullocks were out on the highway and we were called Bl###y Trouble makers, next time they were out we didn't phone him :rasp:and his bullocks when to town for a day out :snorky::Wino:naughty Jiffy:biggrin:
    We phoned a farmer because his bullocks were out on the highway and we were called Bl###y Trouble makers, next time they were out we didn't phone him :rasp:and his bullocks when to town for a day out :snorky::Wino:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Vince
    Like x 13

some pictures of the garden

Looking very good Vince !
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options