1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN MAY 2017 alp, May 29, 2017 at 8:22 AM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Help needed :) clanless, May 2, 2017
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Bins and Composting noisette47, May 22, 2017
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Red lily leaf beetle martin-f, May 28, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Patio and gazebo area - a plan Sheal, May 28, 2017 at 10:46 PM
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Penstemon cutting back Snorky85, May 23, 2017 at 10:46 PM
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: Gardening 1952 NCFCcrazy, Apr 21, 2017
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Chickens. Beckie76, May 5, 2017
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Jack Snakes

ID and advice...

Picture 4, the second on the right, is a spirea. They can look nice if properly pruned. Allow it to grow into a nice arched shape, and then don't prune the top, just remove a few of the oldest...
    Picture 4, the second on the right, is a spirea. They can look nice if properly pruned. Allow it to grow into a nice arched shape, and then don't prune the top, just remove a few of the oldest shoots from the base every year.
    Picture 4, the second on the right, is a spirea. They can look nice if properly pruned. Allow it to grow into a nice arched shape, and then don't prune the top, just remove a few of the oldest shoots from the base every year.
    Picture 4, the second on the right, is a spirea. They can look nice if properly pruned. Allow it to grow into a nice arched shape, and then don't prune the top, just remove a few of the oldest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Dan The Man

Not much getting done on 15b today

I love a good thunderstorm, but we haven't had one here for ages. There were a few flashes overhead yesterday as I made my way around the M25 to Shineyland, but that cleared away quickly to...
    I love a good thunderstorm, but we haven't had one here for ages. There were a few flashes overhead yesterday as I made my way around the M25 to Shineyland, but that cleared away quickly to beautiful sun.Been hot here today, until around 3pm then it has chucked it down since - thankfully, I...
    I love a good thunderstorm, but we haven't had one here for ages. There were a few flashes overhead yesterday as I made my way around the M25 to Shineyland, but that cleared away quickly to beautiful sun.Been hot here today, until around 3pm...
    I love a good thunderstorm, but we haven't had one here for ages. There were a few flashes overhead yesterday as I made my way around the M25 to Shineyland, but that cleared away quickly to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Verdun

I wish.......

Remove Dead, damaged, diseased, crossing and old wood in the dormant season. It amazes me when people are so brutal with pruning.
    Remove Dead, damaged, diseased, crossing and old wood in the dormant season. It amazes me when people are so brutal with pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sweetiex

Growing fruit and vegetables

Does anyone know if you can plant loganberry and glen lyon raspberries near to each other? Also will gooseberries be ok near the raspberries? The plan is to grow them all up one side of our fence.
    Does anyone know if you can plant loganberry and glen lyon raspberries near to each other? Also will gooseberries be ok near the raspberries? The plan is to grow them all up one side of our fence.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SAH

Beech Hedge

Resist the temptation to wait until they reach the desired height - before you trim :spinning:. The trick is to trim them back each year until the base of the hedge is bushy/dense and then let them grow to...
    Resist the temptation to wait until they reach the desired height - before you trim :spinning:. The trick is to trim them back each year until the base of the hedge is bushy/dense and then let them grow to height.It takes longer for the base to go bushy if you have a tall hedge.I planted a beech...
    Resist the temptation to wait until they reach the desired height - before you trim :spinning:. The trick is to trim them back each year until the base of the hedge is bushy/dense and then let them grow to height.It takes longer for the base to go bushy...
    Resist the temptation to wait until they reach the desired height - before you trim :spinning:. The trick is to trim them back each year until the base of the hedge is bushy/dense and then let them grow to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Verdun

Infuriating or what?

Received begonia plugs yesterday....yes, in those "nets". :thud: They arent always too noticeable but best to remove them.
    Received begonia plugs yesterday....yes, in those "nets". :thud: They arent always too noticeable but best to remove them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. fat controller

Area under a conifer

Them green thumbs can get slippery - it couldn`t possibly be the drinking problem that you don`t have :whistle:
    Them green thumbs can get slippery - it couldn`t possibly be the drinking problem that you don`t have :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ant1977

Ideas for makeover?

You'll need something that can cope with the trees close by.Bulbs are a good idea - as they make and store their own food for the following year. I've some grape hyacinth under my japanese...
    You'll need something that can cope with the trees close by.Bulbs are a good idea - as they make and store their own food for the following year. I've some grape hyacinth under my japanese cherry.Or you could go for primula - these are hardy and will come back year on year - they are found...
    You'll need something that can cope with the trees close by.Bulbs are a good idea - as they make and store their own food for the following year. I've some grape hyacinth under my japanese cherry.Or you could go for primula - these are hardy...
    You'll need something that can cope with the trees close by.Bulbs are a good idea - as they make and store their own food for the following year. I've some grape hyacinth under my japanese...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Rustler

Poorly Goldcrest Conifers.

That sounds a good idea, M. Thanks for your input.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lacewing

Pieris pruning/relocation advice please

thanks so much for that Sheal, I will follow your advice :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. gunners71uk

aquadulce claudia broad bean

Fingers crossed then @TheMadHedger they are a bean which normally overwinters so I can only be hopeful that they will be ok.. ;)
    Fingers crossed then @TheMadHedger they are a bean which normally overwinters so I can only be hopeful that they will be ok.. ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jiffy

Viburnum Beetle Larve

I hope i have as they made a mess last year, they haven't started eating much yet but they are there :mad:
    I hope i have as they made a mess last year, they haven't started eating much yet but they are there :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. honeybunny

established potted climber...how

@Ian Taylor may have some thoughts on this. He has quite a collection of Clematis.
    @Ian Taylor may have some thoughts on this. He has quite a collection of Clematis.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Poly Hive

Blinding

Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14...
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14 tons of blinding to shift. :)
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14 tons of blinding to shift. :)
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS

Acer Container Planting ?

Cheers @mowgley , I'll buy my ericaceous compost this morning :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. day dreamer

Is it all too late? (to prune!)

Perfect timing for pruning cherries, go for it
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SimonZ

simple answers on bee-friendly gardening?

Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known to be beneficial to Insects, animals and birdlife then you will see the positive proof by the...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known to be beneficial to Insects, animals and birdlife...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. SimonZ
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mowerman

Japenese Knotweed and Invasive Weed Eradication - Change of Career - Advice Needed!

@Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put their project on hold, possibly for years - until the area is certified as JK clear by an accredited...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put their project on hold, possibly for years - until the...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Quentin Jackson

Evergreen hedge recommendations

I went for Photinia × fraseri 'Red Robin' ( Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' | Christmas berry 'Red Robin'/RHS Gardening )
    I went for Photinia × fraseri 'Red Robin' ( Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' | Christmas berry 'Red Robin'/RHS Gardening )
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options