1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

New Thread HereShow Us Your Recent Purchases 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zigs

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019

Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants in gh are drying out so they were watered too. Tempted to cut down a couple of miscanthus Gold Bar...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants in gh are drying out so they were watered too. ...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

Llorona Salmon and S. Ochrantha for me
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them back and kept them in their baskets in a frost free greenhouse but not sure if its best to take...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them back and kept them in their baskets in a frost free...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Ned

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Zigs
    Like x 11

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JANUARY 2019

Hi @longk it's called 'Christmas Cheer'. I suspect if I had kept it in the polytunnnel, it would have fulfilled its name! Seems to have produced a very vigorous plant.
    Hi @longk it's called 'Christmas Cheer'. I suspect if I had kept it in the polytunnnel, it would have fulfilled its name! Seems to have produced a very vigorous plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

@longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing well G carneus less so it didn't like the cold spring.
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  25.   » Normal Threads
  26. Sarraceniac

What's your weather like?

It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise known as 'splitting'.How it will work is this:...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

NEW THREAD HEREWHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Zigs

What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Time to say goodbye to 2015 - new thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Just a test post:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and chard still producing. Need to get some manure and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Marley Farley

What Jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2014..

@Zigs @Marley FarleyHi BothPlease can we have a new threadthank youSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Fat Controller

What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the main posts and wires but needs to have things...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    20160108_080943.jpg IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG Sambucus 'Black Lace'.JPG 20160216_142812.jpg 20160216_142825.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

I love the big borders and variety of plants you have Mr Grinch.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. PeterS
    Like x 14

Show us your recent purchases.

Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Lolimac

What jobs are we doing today in the garden ?

This thread is now closed please continue here,,
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK2..

New thread started here folks.. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Zigs

Show us your recent purchases 2015

I might agree with you if I understood what multi functioning was. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I might agree with you if I understood what multi functioning was. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. alp
    Like x 7

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions on topics from latest bloom to wildlife.

Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Spruce
    Like x 4

Daylily "Hemerocallis 2013 S W S

Bumping the [email protected] a look at this thread from last year. Lots of great ideas and lots to choose fromSpruce
    Bumping the [email protected] a look at this thread from last year. Lots of great ideas and lots to choose fromSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Waco

Brugmansia 2

We have since corresponded Caj xx As our mentor is not really with us any more, perhaps someone else .... Marley? Strongy? can help here. As to my situation two plus months ago, I threw away...
    We have since corresponded Caj xx As our mentor is not really with us any more, perhaps someone else .... Marley? Strongy? can help here. As to my situation two plus months ago, I threw away two of the stems and potted up the main one. It now has a nice 'crop' of hair ... sorry leaves ......
    We have since corresponded Caj xx As our mentor is not really with us any more, perhaps someone else .... Marley? Strongy? can help here. As to my situation two plus months ago, I threw away two of the stems and potted up the main one. It...
    We have since corresponded Caj xx As our mentor is not really with us any more, perhaps someone else .... Marley? Strongy? can help here. As to my situation two plus months ago, I threw away...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Spruce
    Like x 14

What's Looking Good In June 2013

I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but still by October it died :cry3:. I think some of them probably need tropical conditions :scratch: . Unfortunately...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but still by October it died :cry3:. I think some of them...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Scotkat

Fuchsias

Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Zigs
    Like x 12

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JUNE 2018

Glad you like it, Loki.:love30: Walking around it gives me a lot of content and puts a smile on my face.:snorky:
    Glad you like it, Loki.:love30: Walking around it gives me a lot of content and puts a smile on my face.:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. wiseowl

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like thisHave a bonfire like this about once a month - the ash gets put into the compost and spread...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like thisHave a bonfire like this about once a...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like...
    03.jpg our-rebirth1.png IMAG2399.jpg IMAG2400.jpg IMAG2402.jpg -bee-signs-ideas-save-the-bees-posters.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  45. HarryS
    Like x 7

Canna 2012

When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows running one lamp when you only have a few plants to...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options