1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. New Irish gardener

clay soil help!!

The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving the grass intact. The sharp sand will then also inhibit new moss growth, while also providing a...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving the grass intact. The sharp sand will then also...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

Gardening gloves....

Well, cats do have small paws :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. hailbopp

Trnasplanting Nerine Bowdenii when in leaf.

I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half above the soil level.
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Nickoslesteros

Planting a rugosa rose against a fence on west side of garden

This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TheMadHedger

Grass seed and ground frost

Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. poohpouri

when do i plant sweet corn?

Today sowed sweet corn. No didn't soak them but did see that the seeds did look very dry. Well give it a go as usual and hope that out of the 30 (actually 39) most will germinate.
    Today sowed sweet corn. No didn't soak them but did see that the seeds did look very dry. Well give it a go as usual and hope that out of the 30 (actually 39) most will germinate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jenny_Aster

National Gardening Day!

I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. GreenFingeredFifer

Planter Liners

Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Plantminded

Verbena hastata - is it worth growing?

Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are...
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are @Plantminded, especially with your soil
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are @Plantminded, especially with your soil
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. RDB85

Qualcast 35 Suffolk Punch

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it .
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. MrsMacGyver

old tyres

I have grown lots of things in my tyre wall without much success. My last ditch attempt now is mini daffs and geranium rozanne. I am fed up with all the nurturing needed for more precious plants....
    I have grown lots of things in my tyre wall without much success. My last ditch attempt now is mini daffs and geranium rozanne. I am fed up with all the nurturing needed for more precious plants. I have been successful with blue toadflax and Mexican fleabane. Good luck!
    I have grown lots of things in my tyre wall without much success. My last ditch attempt now is mini daffs and geranium rozanne. I am fed up with all the nurturing needed for more precious plants. I have been successful with blue toadflax and...
    I have grown lots of things in my tyre wall without much success. My last ditch attempt now is mini daffs and geranium rozanne. I am fed up with all the nurturing needed for more precious plants....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. pete

Square or round.

I'm the same, The only pots I ever buy empty are large ones for final/permanent or semi-permanent planting, and occasionally one for a houseplant. All the ones I use for growing - on are ones that...
    I'm the same, The only pots I ever buy empty are large ones for final/permanent or semi-permanent planting, and occasionally one for a houseplant. All the ones I use for growing - on are ones that came with plants in, 35 years' worth of them :biggrin: so I have a vast range of sizes and shapes, round,...
    I'm the same, The only pots I ever buy empty are large ones for final/permanent or semi-permanent planting, and occasionally one for a houseplant. All the ones I use for growing - on are ones that came with plants in, 35 years' worth of them :biggrin: so...
    I'm the same, The only pots I ever buy empty are large ones for final/permanent or semi-permanent planting, and occasionally one for a houseplant. All the ones I use for growing - on are ones that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ViewAhead

Recycled rubber stepping stones

Forgot to add, they also great for keeping pots on. More stable than the little feet things, and still drain freely. Not tried it yet…….. But could probably cover the top with copper mesh and...
    Forgot to add, they also great for keeping pots on. More stable than the little feet things, and still drain freely. Not tried it yet…….. But could probably cover the top with copper mesh and see if it keeps slugs away too.
    Forgot to add, they also great for keeping pots on. More stable than the little feet things, and still drain freely. Not tried it yet…….. But could probably cover the top with copper mesh and see if it keeps slugs away too.
    Forgot to add, they also great for keeping pots on. More stable than the little feet things, and still drain freely. Not tried it yet…….. But could probably cover the top with copper mesh and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Javidr

Wire trellis (wip)

I don't grow Wisteria, so can't help with those. You won't really be able to tell if the fence is sturdy enough, other than giving it a shove. If the posts are concreted in, they can eventually...
    I don't grow Wisteria, so can't help with those. You won't really be able to tell if the fence is sturdy enough, other than giving it a shove. If the posts are concreted in, they can eventually rot, depending on the quality and how much wet soil is up against them. Solid fences can also act...
    I don't grow Wisteria, so can't help with those. You won't really be able to tell if the fence is sturdy enough, other than giving it a shove. If the posts are concreted in, they can eventually rot, depending on the quality and how much wet soil...
    I don't grow Wisteria, so can't help with those. You won't really be able to tell if the fence is sturdy enough, other than giving it a shove. If the posts are concreted in, they can eventually...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Clueless 1 v2
    Like x 3

Flowering currant

I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant bush. It is probably a garden escape because it was...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pete

Box moth

Don't get me started on Box moth...Grrrrr....I have religiously tried to protect my Box from Blight over the years but Box moth is a serious pain in the 'artichoke'....it was kept at bay for long...
    Don't get me started on Box moth...Grrrrr....I have religiously tried to protect my Box from Blight over the years but Box moth is a serious pain in the 'artichoke'....it was kept at bay for long enough when I had chooks roaming they spent most of their time with their heads buried in the hedges...
    Don't get me started on Box moth...Grrrrr....I have religiously tried to protect my Box from Blight over the years but Box moth is a serious pain in the 'artichoke'....it was kept at bay for long enough when I had chooks roaming they spent most...
    Don't get me started on Box moth...Grrrrr....I have religiously tried to protect my Box from Blight over the years but Box moth is a serious pain in the 'artichoke'....it was kept at bay for long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kurisu
    Like x 4

The Art of Sweeping Leaves

Besom! What a nice name, these were used extensively by local folks in Italy. I guess they often made their own and we eventually found they very useful for such as leaves.
    Besom! What a nice name, these were used extensively by local folks in Italy. I guess they often made their own and we eventually found they very useful for such as leaves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mrs. B.

To chop, or not to chop?

Bless you. :imphrt: It is in parts, it's really just a few unfinished bits and the ugly fence at the other side. If you look at the back fence that is my neighbour's, you can see he's built it sloping...
    Bless you. :imphrt: It is in parts, it's really just a few unfinished bits and the ugly fence at the other side. If you look at the back fence that is my neighbour's, you can see he's built it sloping level with his side, so I put a clematis at the end to balance it out, lol, it's almost there, along...
    Bless you. :imphrt: It is in parts, it's really just a few unfinished bits and the ugly fence at the other side. If you look at the back fence that is my neighbour's, you can see he's built it sloping level with his side, so I put a clematis at the end...
    Bless you. :imphrt: It is in parts, it's really just a few unfinished bits and the ugly fence at the other side. If you look at the back fence that is my neighbour's, you can see he's built it sloping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Madra

Chopping up Kitchen Waste for Compost

I also chop the kitchen waste as I produce it, if it's hard chunky stuff like cabbage stalks and suchlike. Mostly it's already small-ish bits like carrot peelings, strawberry tops, citrus peelings...
    I also chop the kitchen waste as I produce it, if it's hard chunky stuff like cabbage stalks and suchlike. Mostly it's already small-ish bits like carrot peelings, strawberry tops, citrus peelings etc, and soft stuff doesn't need cutting up anyway.
    I also chop the kitchen waste as I produce it, if it's hard chunky stuff like cabbage stalks and suchlike. Mostly it's already small-ish bits like carrot peelings, strawberry tops, citrus peelings etc, and soft stuff doesn't need cutting up anyway.
    I also chop the kitchen waste as I produce it, if it's hard chunky stuff like cabbage stalks and suchlike. Mostly it's already small-ish bits like carrot peelings, strawberry tops, citrus peelings...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice