1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Pauline

Photinia

Hi, Thanks for your help it certainly looks as though it is probably leaf spot so I will take the appropriate action.Thanks again for your help, I will probably be back with more questions.Pauline
    Hi, Thanks for your help it certainly looks as though it is probably leaf spot so I will take the appropriate action.Thanks again for your help, I will probably be back with more questions.Pauline
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. fothers

cosmos

It was a cosmos sonata but I have put it on the compost heap as i needed the pot for a lavender I bought today. it didn't look very hopeful Thanks
    It was a cosmos sonata but I have put it on the compost heap as i needed the pot for a lavender I bought today. it didn't look very hopeful Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. skrumpy

Bracken

Thanks for that advice - seems logical. Problem is most of the young shoots come up through a lawned area which gets mown every week or so throughout the growing season so they are cut anyway. ...
    Thanks for that advice - seems logical. Problem is most of the young shoots come up through a lawned area which gets mown every week or so throughout the growing season so they are cut anyway. s'pose I'll have to live with it or bite the bullet and spray with something. Anybody any suggestions?
    Thanks for that advice - seems logical. Problem is most of the young shoots come up through a lawned area which gets mown every week or so throughout the growing season so they are cut anyway. s'pose I'll have to live with it or bite the bullet...
    Thanks for that advice - seems logical. Problem is most of the young shoots come up through a lawned area which gets mown every week or so throughout the growing season so they are cut anyway. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. neney1

Whats the best why to remove a privet

Unless its dead already then it will grow back. You can cut it back hard now, top it to how high you want it and then trim it back a couple of times a year. If you really do want it out then I...
    Unless its dead already then it will grow back. You can cut it back hard now, top it to how high you want it and then trim it back a couple of times a year. If you really do want it out then I would have your fencing contractor take it out as he will be used to doing it and will do it in a...
    Unless its dead already then it will grow back. You can cut it back hard now, top it to how high you want it and then trim it back a couple of times a year. If you really do want it out then I would have your fencing contractor take it out as he...
    Unless its dead already then it will grow back. You can cut it back hard now, top it to how high you want it and then trim it back a couple of times a year. If you really do want it out then I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. stevecarpenter

Huge and wonderful Garden For Sale - with house included (!)

Steve,If you don't want anyone putting a property on the garden, put a covenant on the property against anyone building on the plot. This can be drawn up at any solicitor that deals with...
    Steve,If you don't want anyone putting a property on the garden, put a covenant on the property against anyone building on the plot. This can be drawn up at any solicitor that deals with property.Nathan.
    Steve,If you don't want anyone putting a property on the garden, put a covenant on the property against anyone building on the plot. This can be drawn up at any solicitor that deals with property.Nathan.
    Steve,If you don't want anyone putting a property on the garden, put a covenant on the property against anyone building on the plot. This can be drawn up at any solicitor that deals with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Kev H

Munched Daff Buds??

Thanks Liz this certainly seems the most child and slug friendly (even though the slugs die!) but does seem a waste of good booze!!Thanks Kev
    Thanks Liz this certainly seems the most child and slug friendly (even though the slugs die!) but does seem a waste of good booze!!Thanks Kev
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Liz Giz

Deer-proof Hedging

Liz,As mentioned above, Laurel hedging looks nice (much better than Leylandii), and once established, can grow rapidly.See this site http://www.surreyhedging.co.uk/ , has lots of various...
    Liz,As mentioned above, Laurel hedging looks nice (much better than Leylandii), and once established, can grow rapidly.See this site http://www.surreyhedging.co.uk/ , has lots of various types of hedging. Also being Surrey, isn't a million miles away.Hope this helpsNathan.
    Liz,As mentioned above, Laurel hedging looks nice (much better than Leylandii), and once established, can grow rapidly.See this site http://www.surreyhedging.co.uk/ , has lots of various types of hedging. Also being Surrey, isn't a million...
    Liz,As mentioned above, Laurel hedging looks nice (much better than Leylandii), and once established, can grow rapidly.See this site http://www.surreyhedging.co.uk/ , has lots of various...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Barn dweller

Pyracantha

In my experience you can cut them back as hard as you like and they will still grow back.
    In my experience you can cut them back as hard as you like and they will still grow back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. SteveW

Pips and Stones

poor Nathan no more bananas then lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Andrew_Swansea

Seedling Advice Please

You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have to repot them and then the other problem is they will cling and twine around any supports or...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have to repot them and then the other problem is they...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Mimi

Need advice please

Thanks for all your tips,I think I'll give it a few more weeks then go down to the garden centre with my wish list from you guys.Thanks again
    Thanks for all your tips,I think I'll give it a few more weeks then go down to the garden centre with my wish list from you guys.Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. spudbagpuss

Pruning

One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I wouldn't prune it unless you really have to, as you will lose the flowering shoots. Hope this helps...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I wouldn't prune it unless you really have to, as...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Ian Tresman

Fence with a view, privacy and security?

Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays...
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays and make sure your posts are no less than 4'' x 4'' size timber and atleast 2 ft in the ground.
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays and make sure your posts are no less than 4'' x...
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. db

Trimmming Poplars

Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts,...
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts, someone who has insurance.
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts, someone who has insurance.
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. roadrunner

TRELLIS advice

Some favorites: climbing roses, clematis viticella, climbing hydrangea, ormamental vine. "The tree and shrub expert" by DG Hessayon has a good list of climbers and advice on pruning.
    Some favorites: climbing roses, clematis viticella, climbing hydrangea, ormamental vine. "The tree and shrub expert" by DG Hessayon has a good list of climbers and advice on pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. wildman

Fuschia pruning problem

Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it...
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it helps control infestation of thrips etc.
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it helps control infestation of thrips etc.
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Henrietta

First Garden, Second Summer

More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow some Leeks,for winter picking. Perhaps a few Onion sets,Garlic,shallots,bit of parsley,...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow some Leeks,for winter picking. Perhaps a few Onion...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mimi

when to cut Lleylandii

Ladybird, I think I will do that nearer the summer, thanks for the advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. foxtrot

Soil type in Wiltshire

Thank you, Wildman, that sounds very positive!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. poppy

CD Disc

Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use...
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use will be made
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use will be made
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice