1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Charentejohn

Do all pots need crocs for drainage ?

I always put crocks in ‘cos Monty does.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. RudeBwoyUK

Lucky Bamboo help needed

I would like some advice please, I bought this from a well-known supermarket they've been growing amazingly and they are the point where I can propagate, they come in a stupid container not...
    I would like some advice please, I bought this from a well-known supermarket they've been growing amazingly and they are the point where I can propagate, they come in a stupid container not suitable for planting more in which I would need to replace to be able to grow more. Do you suggest...
    I would like some advice please, I bought this from a well-known supermarket they've been growing amazingly and they are the point where I can propagate, they come in a stupid container not suitable for planting more in which I would need to...
    I would like some advice please, I bought this from a well-known supermarket they've been growing amazingly and they are the point where I can propagate, they come in a stupid container not...
    20240221_192857.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Charentejohn

How to kill Ivy now rooted in a stone wall so hard to reach

I wonder if putting glyphosate in a plastic bag tied onto the bottom of the cut ivy might work? As the leaves transpire, they might suck the glyphosate up the stem.
    I wonder if putting glyphosate in a plastic bag tied onto the bottom of the cut ivy might work? As the leaves transpire, they might suck the glyphosate up the stem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. fumanchu

What would you do with this horrible front "garden" ?

We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m long one as a 'non fence' planted with something colourful and evergreen ? We plan bee blossom and...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m long one as a 'non fence' planted with something...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m...
    A FRONT.jpg sketch.jpg upload_2024-2-17_20-37-47.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. NoviceGardener2023

Bird Feeder Type & Placement

I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well....
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well.However, since I hung up a feeder on the low branches of a mature Viburnum, the posh feeder station only...
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well.However, since I hung up a feeder on the low branches of...
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well....
    IMG_20240212_165016.jpg images.jpg birdfeeder1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Charentejohn

Metal raised bed on concrete, drainage required ?

Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti gardeners' when it comes to plants, we lose a lot due to lack of knowledge and general inattention. Trying...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti gardeners' when it comes to plants, we lose a lot due to...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kevin Cowans

Damaged Heuchera 'Lime Marmalade'

I think I'd lift it in early March,check the roots for any vine weevil and pot up in some fresh compost to get them going again.:thumbsup:
    I think I'd lift it in early March,check the roots for any vine weevil and pot up in some fresh compost to get them going again.:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kevin Cowans

How to deal with Compacted Soil in Planted Borders

I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is...
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is worth doing a couple of times a year, it dissappears over time. Of course a thicker layer is better.
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is worth doing a couple of times a year, it dissappears...
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PhilC

Can i still save this Daphne? (Perfume Princess)

I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being moved or repotted into smaller containers. They really need to be planted straight away and left alone,...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being moved or repotted into smaller containers. They...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lady Garden ;)

What's the best method to clean sewage spill on grass?

I've always found that the predators are well behind the pests come spring. I'm not really bothered with aphids but other more persistent pests are often a problem.
    I've always found that the predators are well behind the pests come spring. I'm not really bothered with aphids but other more persistent pests are often a problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Andrew Kennedy

geraniums - potting up

I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower...
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower always look much better that the others.
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower always look much better that the others.
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Loofah

Philodendron

You maybe right @pete as a lot of varieties seem to be blurred now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. eddybaby

Best plants for these terrariums please?

Opps! pressed return too early! 'Moss Gardening' by George Schenk. Probably out of print now but you could get a second hand copy perhaps.
    Opps! pressed return too early! 'Moss Gardening' by George Schenk. Probably out of print now but you could get a second hand copy perhaps.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PhilC

Best indoor potting mixes?

Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well draining but also holds water and nutrients...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Clueless 1 v2
    Friendly x 3

Starting again, new year, new start, new strategy

I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for it, I'll hurt myself or do myself a mischief. I would laugh, and tell them I'm getting younger. Of...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for it, I'll hurt myself or do myself a mischief. I...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Grandma Sue

DIY self-watering!

A janitors string mop would be a suitable cheap source:# www.screwfix.com/p/stronghold-healthcare-kentucky-mop-heads-white/844kh
    A janitors string mop would be a suitable cheap source:# www.screwfix.com/p/stronghold-healthcare-kentucky-mop-heads-white/844kh
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. fumanchu

Azaleas

Thanks suepp. I have two fairly big pots. Will try it and see how it goes. :spinning:
    Thanks suepp. I have two fairly big pots. Will try it and see how it goes. :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jenny namaste
    Like x 9

Show us your Camellias 2015

Bob's Tinsie today Jenny namaste
    P1050798.JPG P1050799.JPG P1050802.JPG P1050805.JPG 2014-04-07 08.45.11.jpg P1050837.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Michael Hewett

Moving rheubob

When my offspring were toddlers they called it ubbub. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK

What's looking good January 2024

What's looking good February 2024
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice