1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Stokie

red hot poker

You can cut the flower stalk down but you should leave the leaves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. poppet

Honeysuckle

Well, I'm totally fed up. Was so excited at the weekend as my newly planted honesuckle were in bud, only to find today that all the flowers have bean eaten and leaves are in holes. Aarrghh!!! ...
    Well, I'm totally fed up. Was so excited at the weekend as my newly planted honesuckle were in bud, only to find today that all the flowers have bean eaten and leaves are in holes. Aarrghh!!! I've looked under the leaves and can't find any caterpillers, though I have found some green fly. ...
    Well, I'm totally fed up. Was so excited at the weekend as my newly planted honesuckle were in bud, only to find today that all the flowers have bean eaten and leaves are in holes. Aarrghh!!! I've looked under the leaves and can't find any...
    Well, I'm totally fed up. Was so excited at the weekend as my newly planted honesuckle were in bud, only to find today that all the flowers have bean eaten and leaves are in holes. Aarrghh!!! ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Waco

Flower names HELP

We had a ESP a few years ago called Fennel and we called her Fenn - all the litter were named after herbs - I liked Basil but we wanted a bitch
    We had a ESP a few years ago called Fennel and we called her Fenn - all the litter were named after herbs - I liked Basil but we wanted a bitch
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley

Borage...

Lovely pic. wildflower, another plant that's a must have for next year! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Gogs

FUCHSIAS

Both these are hardy fuschias so it depends on the position of your window box and the severity of the winter. The ivy will be OK!
    Both these are hardy fuschias so it depends on the position of your window box and the severity of the winter. The ivy will be OK!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. chellee

tips for beginners

Welcome Chellee. When I started I looked through lots of pictures of gardens in books. You have to ask yourself which ones you like and then try and work out why. And which ones you did not like...
    Welcome Chellee. When I started I looked through lots of pictures of gardens in books. You have to ask yourself which ones you like and then try and work out why. And which ones you did not like and why. That way I got some idea of what sort of style of garden I wanted, formal or informal...
    Welcome Chellee. When I started I looked through lots of pictures of gardens in books. You have to ask yourself which ones you like and then try and work out why. And which ones you did not like and why. That way I got some idea of what sort...
    Welcome Chellee. When I started I looked through lots of pictures of gardens in books. You have to ask yourself which ones you like and then try and work out why. And which ones you did not like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. windy miller

I do believe I've done it!!

Thanks all, Will try and post some pics and then you can see my humble beginnings. I now have big plans for the rest of my plot, so hopefully it won't be long before it's looking loads...
    Thanks all, Will try and post some pics and then you can see my humble beginnings. I now have big plans for the rest of my plot, so hopefully it won't be long before it's looking loads better. Cheers :D
    Thanks all, Will try and post some pics and then you can see my humble beginnings. I now have big plans for the rest of my plot, so hopefully it won't be long before it's looking loads better. Cheers :D
    Thanks all, Will try and post some pics and then you can see my humble beginnings. I now have big plans for the rest of my plot, so hopefully it won't be long before it's looking loads...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Skelf

Eek, something's eating my sunflowers!

Just love ants Hornbeam. Such fascinating societies and what amazing power to weight ratios."Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or...
    Just love ants Hornbeam. Such fascinating societies and what amazing power to weight ratios."Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest" (Proverbs 6:6-8).
    Just love ants Hornbeam. Such fascinating societies and what amazing power to weight ratios."Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and...
    Just love ants Hornbeam. Such fascinating societies and what amazing power to weight ratios."Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. hay

plants and a tree

Magnolias are nice trees to have by decking. I have a magnoilia called susan. Also standard catalpas are good. There is a list of trees here that I would recommed from my own...
    Magnolias are nice trees to have by decking. I have a magnoilia called susan. Also standard catalpas are good. There is a list of trees here that I would recommed from my own garden.http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000192Magnoilia 'Susan'Magnolia...
    Magnolias are nice trees to have by decking. I have a magnoilia called susan. Also standard catalpas are good. There is a list of trees here that I would recommed from my own...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Rachel Scott-Renouf

Royal Poinciana

Wow, nice looking tree! I can wait till mine gets that big!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Mandolin4565

last chance for the Bush

Sawfly larvae like small caterpillars. They will have gone by now so don't spray. The bush will soon recover and put out new leaves. My spindle is similarly eaten, but new leaves are coming out...
    Sawfly larvae like small caterpillars. They will have gone by now so don't spray. The bush will soon recover and put out new leaves. My spindle is similarly eaten, but new leaves are coming out already and those are untouched. It will be ok - honest! :D
    Sawfly larvae like small caterpillars. They will have gone by now so don't spray. The bush will soon recover and put out new leaves. My spindle is similarly eaten, but new leaves are coming out already and those are untouched. It will be ok -...
    Sawfly larvae like small caterpillars. They will have gone by now so don't spray. The bush will soon recover and put out new leaves. My spindle is similarly eaten, but new leaves are coming out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Liz

Growing Fuschias- advice please?

I tend to grow the smaller flowered fuchsias too. This years cuttings i multi plant so i can get a decent display. Just got HAWKSHEAD this year,looking for Countess of aberdeen at the moment
    I tend to grow the smaller flowered fuchsias too. This years cuttings i multi plant so i can get a decent display. Just got HAWKSHEAD this year,looking for Countess of aberdeen at the moment
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kathy3

poppys

The poppy flanders that had drooping heads seem to have straightened up somewhat and just started flowering, I have cut a few off and put the seeds in an envelope when i get a few more flowers...
    The poppy flanders that had drooping heads seem to have straightened up somewhat and just started flowering, I have cut a few off and put the seeds in an envelope when i get a few more flowers opening will do the same. I think it has been the dreadful wind we have been having as i noticed them...
    The poppy flanders that had drooping heads seem to have straightened up somewhat and just started flowering, I have cut a few off and put the seeds in an envelope when i get a few more flowers opening will do the same. I think it has been the...
    The poppy flanders that had drooping heads seem to have straightened up somewhat and just started flowering, I have cut a few off and put the seeds in an envelope when i get a few more flowers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hornbeam

Friends and foes

Being a novice at gardening I have no idea what is a pest and what is not. I noticed tonight that there seemed to be quite a lot of small black midgets things flying around my broad beans is this...
    Being a novice at gardening I have no idea what is a pest and what is not. I noticed tonight that there seemed to be quite a lot of small black midgets things flying around my broad beans is this good or bad??? If bad what should I do about it. Thanks in advance for any advice. I am quite...
    Being a novice at gardening I have no idea what is a pest and what is not. I noticed tonight that there seemed to be quite a lot of small black midgets things flying around my broad beans is this good or bad??? If bad what should I do about it....
    Being a novice at gardening I have no idea what is a pest and what is not. I noticed tonight that there seemed to be quite a lot of small black midgets things flying around my broad beans is this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Palustris

Allium flavum

I have some funny loose type alliums, a funny little one that is green with dark purple bits hanging off???Like those Palustris, make a change from tight globe things - but I like them too -...
    I have some funny loose type alliums, a funny little one that is green with dark purple bits hanging off???Like those Palustris, make a change from tight globe things - but I like them too - appart from christophii - just a bit too big for me.I did grow Schubertii, it was huge, but it just...
    I have some funny loose type alliums, a funny little one that is green with dark purple bits hanging off???Like those Palustris, make a change from tight globe things - but I like them too - appart from christophii - just a bit too big for...
    I have some funny loose type alliums, a funny little one that is green with dark purple bits hanging off???Like those Palustris, make a change from tight globe things - but I like them too -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. timecharger

Growing Vines

Time charger, try this web site, very helpfull. I purchsed 12 grapevines this year to grow on my allotment (Regent) I'm growing for wine making, as per the previous reply you will not have any...
    Time charger, try this web site, very helpfull. I purchsed 12 grapevines this year to grow on my allotment (Regent) I'm growing for wine making, as per the previous reply you will not have any usefull grapes for three years.http://www.winegrowers.info/index.htmGood luck David
    Time charger, try this web site, very helpfull. I purchsed 12 grapevines this year to grow on my allotment (Regent) I'm growing for wine making, as per the previous reply you will not have any usefull grapes for three...
    Time charger, try this web site, very helpfull. I purchsed 12 grapevines this year to grow on my allotment (Regent) I'm growing for wine making, as per the previous reply you will not have any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. TaffyThomas

Help the novice

Why not have a go at tropical looking plants that are actually hardy, you may not be as dissapointed then, and remember it takes a long time to develop a garden, have patience, keep at it!
    Why not have a go at tropical looking plants that are actually hardy, you may not be as dissapointed then, and remember it takes a long time to develop a garden, have patience, keep at it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Honey Bee

In need of a Froggie fix.....

Iv'e always wondered that pete, lots of them here at Southend Airport area, look like snakes but pink underside and only about 12 inches long. They like being under the shed in hot weather. ;)
    Iv'e always wondered that pete, lots of them here at Southend Airport area, look like snakes but pink underside and only about 12 inches long. They like being under the shed in hot weather. ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Honey Bee

Help and Advice, please...

I quite agree Dave.... trouble is as I'm out to work, I rely on the neighbour to keep tabs... anyhow, he's got a surprise comming as Mr HB is working from home on Friday!!!! ;) ;)
    I quite agree Dave.... trouble is as I'm out to work, I rely on the neighbour to keep tabs... anyhow, he's got a surprise comming as Mr HB is working from home on Friday!!!! ;) ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria

Rooibos (the red bush)

Thanks, Wildflower. I haven't seen valerian here. I'm buying the Rooibos at Lidl. I got my info off the net and if I remember right (hmmm, is it good for memory lapses? :D ) it did mention the...
    Thanks, Wildflower. I haven't seen valerian here. I'm buying the Rooibos at Lidl. I got my info off the net and if I remember right (hmmm, is it good for memory lapses? :D ) it did mention the digestion, allergy and skin conditions as well. Supposedly kids drink it cold there instead of...
    Thanks, Wildflower. I haven't seen valerian here. I'm buying the Rooibos at Lidl. I got my info off the net and if I remember right (hmmm, is it good for memory lapses? :D ) it did mention the digestion, allergy and skin conditions as well. ...
    Thanks, Wildflower. I haven't seen valerian here. I'm buying the Rooibos at Lidl. I got my info off the net and if I remember right (hmmm, is it good for memory lapses? :D ) it did mention the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice