General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nic S

Ground Elder

Sorry to pontificate. But get one of those 5L cans of glyphosate with a water pistol attached, and go round at least one a week, and give a little squidge onto everything green that you don't...
    Sorry to pontificate. But get one of those 5L cans of glyphosate with a water pistol attached, and go round at least one a week, and give a little squidge onto everything green that you don't want. Even bindweed retreats under the pressure. Do this for the rest of your life and you will win....
    Sorry to pontificate. But get one of those 5L cans of glyphosate with a water pistol attached, and go round at least one a week, and give a little squidge onto everything green that you don't want. Even bindweed retreats under the pressure. Do...
    Sorry to pontificate. But get one of those 5L cans of glyphosate with a water pistol attached, and go round at least one a week, and give a little squidge onto everything green that you don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. rosietutu

Rusty Geraniums

Oh and the good news is...the Wallflower plants should be ready to plant out soon,I did purchase some miniture daffs and Irises,also found three cucumbers quite big, hiding behind the sweet peas...
    Oh and the good news is...the Wallflower plants should be ready to plant out soon,I did purchase some miniture daffs and Irises,also found three cucumbers quite big, hiding behind the sweet peas so I have pickled them.
    Oh and the good news is...the Wallflower plants should be ready to plant out soon,I did purchase some miniture daffs and Irises,also found three cucumbers quite big, hiding behind the sweet peas so I have pickled them.
    Oh and the good news is...the Wallflower plants should be ready to plant out soon,I did purchase some miniture daffs and Irises,also found three cucumbers quite big, hiding behind the sweet peas...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Rome

Gardening web sites

Thanks for your replies.I do not have any transport so cannot get to local farms or stables but will check out the web sites you supplied right now. Rome
    Thanks for your replies.I do not have any transport so cannot get to local farms or stables but will check out the web sites you supplied right now. Rome
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. morris28

Fragrant Climbers

For a really fragrant climber I would suggest an Abelia the scent is heavy and it did not get mildew like every thing in my garden has now... :mad: even the Dahlias.
    For a really fragrant climber I would suggest an Abelia the scent is heavy and it did not get mildew like every thing in my garden has now... :mad: even the Dahlias.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. lynne

acidanthera care

lynne,those were the only ones I ever lifted because they were my mums,so not sure.
    lynne,those were the only ones I ever lifted because they were my mums,so not sure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lynne

no flowers

hello did you prune lilac last year that may be reason for no flowers are the iris new plants because after they are divided they can take 2 years to flower lippia could still flower late i know...
    hello did you prune lilac last year that may be reason for no flowers are the iris new plants because after they are divided they can take 2 years to flower lippia could still flower late i know but lets hope you could try pruning the honeysuckle to promote new growth it flowers mainly on new...
    hello did you prune lilac last year that may be reason for no flowers are the iris new plants because after they are divided they can take 2 years to flower lippia could still flower late i know but lets hope you could try pruning the...
    hello did you prune lilac last year that may be reason for no flowers are the iris new plants because after they are divided they can take 2 years to flower lippia could still flower late i know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Gardening Newbie

Tulips & Daffs

Just been to Evesham,Twyford Blue Diamond G.Centre and bought Carlton daffs,they are enormous and �£3.99 for two dozen. ;)
    Just been to Evesham,Twyford Blue Diamond G.Centre and bought Carlton daffs,they are enormous and �£3.99 for two dozen. ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. traceyg

cuttings

thanks sam will try that
    thanks sam will try that
    thanks sam will try that
    thanks sam will try that
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pipine

Clearing an overgrown garden

I agree with deserter. I'd use heavy duty strimmer and loppers to clear small areas. Shred the results and use as mulch after getting out roots of brambles. Then in spring plant potatoes and...
    I agree with deserter. I'd use heavy duty strimmer and loppers to clear small areas. Shred the results and use as mulch after getting out roots of brambles. Then in spring plant potatoes and start on another bit! Digging is the best solution, but working on small areas depending on your...
    I agree with deserter. I'd use heavy duty strimmer and loppers to clear small areas. Shred the results and use as mulch after getting out roots of brambles. Then in spring plant potatoes and start on another bit! Digging is the best solution,...
    I agree with deserter. I'd use heavy duty strimmer and loppers to clear small areas. Shred the results and use as mulch after getting out roots of brambles. Then in spring plant potatoes and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fran

May Garden Colour

Here's a few around my garden taken in May this year. I don't know the varieties of the clematis but they were real showstoppers. As with all the bobby dazzlers they were fleeting so I'm...
    Here's a few around my garden taken in May this year. I don't know the varieties of the clematis but they were real showstoppers. As with all the bobby dazzlers they were fleeting so I'm pleased I have the pictures as memories of their glory. The hawthorn flower is really pretty and I had to...
    Here's a few around my garden taken in May this year. I don't know the varieties of the clematis but they were real showstoppers. As with all the bobby dazzlers they were fleeting so I'm pleased I have the pictures as memories of their...
    Here's a few around my garden taken in May this year. I don't know the varieties of the clematis but they were real showstoppers. As with all the bobby dazzlers they were fleeting so I'm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Paulabear

Help

I've still got my R D Gardening Encyclopaedia here with me now, dont use it much any more, but it was great source of knowledge some years ago to me. Paulabear, the termonology comes to you after...
    I've still got my R D Gardening Encyclopaedia here with me now, dont use it much any more, but it was great source of knowledge some years ago to me. Paulabear, the termonology comes to you after a while without you realising it, you tend not to notice you've picked up a lot of new words and...
    I've still got my R D Gardening Encyclopaedia here with me now, dont use it much any more, but it was great source of knowledge some years ago to me. Paulabear, the termonology comes to you after a while without you realising it, you tend not to...
    I've still got my R D Gardening Encyclopaedia here with me now, dont use it much any more, but it was great source of knowledge some years ago to me. Paulabear, the termonology comes to you after...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gardening Newbie

A Before & During Photo!

Well done Helen, bet you are busy now...filling your greenhouse for winter soon.Ladybird
    Well done Helen, bet you are busy now...filling your greenhouse for winter soon.Ladybird
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Larburnum

Can I Chop

As Pete says - if there's fruit there has got to be a flower and they will be sited where the berries form. They are likely to be very small, and green for you not to spot them. From the shape of...
    As Pete says - if there's fruit there has got to be a flower and they will be sited where the berries form. They are likely to be very small, and green for you not to spot them. From the shape of those berries, take a really close look at your shrub each month for any little bump that was not...
    As Pete says - if there's fruit there has got to be a flower and they will be sited where the berries form. They are likely to be very small, and green for you not to spot them. From the shape of those berries, take a really close look at your...
    As Pete says - if there's fruit there has got to be a flower and they will be sited where the berries form. They are likely to be very small, and green for you not to spot them. From the shape of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sue K

What to do with heavy clay spoil?

5. Watch the Shawshank Redemption or any one of several war films, cut small holes in trouser pockets, and deposit small amounts in the exercise yard each time you're allowed out ;)Seriously...
    5. Watch the Shawshank Redemption or any one of several war films, cut small holes in trouser pockets, and deposit small amounts in the exercise yard each time you're allowed out ;)Seriously though - I was going to comment about underestimating the amount of spoil, because there's always a...
    5. Watch the Shawshank Redemption or any one of several war films, cut small holes in trouser pockets, and deposit small amounts in the exercise yard each time you're allowed out ;)Seriously though - I was going to comment about...
    5. Watch the Shawshank Redemption or any one of several war films, cut small holes in trouser pockets, and deposit small amounts in the exercise yard each time you're allowed out ;)Seriously...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. fiwi

Grapevine cuttings

Hi, I did it this way, Red grape with seeds, variety unknown.Late spring when new growth was well under way I let a low level, blind (non flowering) shoot trail across the staging for about 2...
    Hi, I did it this way, Red grape with seeds, variety unknown.Late spring when new growth was well under way I let a low level, blind (non flowering) shoot trail across the staging for about 2 feet. I then enlarged the hole in a 8" flowerpot, threaded the vine shoot up through it, added an inch...
    Hi, I did it this way, Red grape with seeds, variety unknown.Late spring when new growth was well under way I let a low level, blind (non flowering) shoot trail across the staging for about 2 feet. I then enlarged the hole in a 8" flowerpot,...
    Hi, I did it this way, Red grape with seeds, variety unknown.Late spring when new growth was well under way I let a low level, blind (non flowering) shoot trail across the staging for about 2...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fran

Euphorbia

Thanks Pete - that looks like the one, same kinda sprawly growth as well - how can they say the flowers are insignificant - whilst the bracts are lovely the flowers nestling in the centre are nice...
    Thanks Pete - that looks like the one, same kinda sprawly growth as well - how can they say the flowers are insignificant - whilst the bracts are lovely the flowers nestling in the centre are nice too.Bayleaf - thanks I will check these out too - I am intrigued by what has appeared from what I...
    Thanks Pete - that looks like the one, same kinda sprawly growth as well - how can they say the flowers are insignificant - whilst the bracts are lovely the flowers nestling in the centre are nice too.Bayleaf - thanks I will check these out too...
    Thanks Pete - that looks like the one, same kinda sprawly growth as well - how can they say the flowers are insignificant - whilst the bracts are lovely the flowers nestling in the centre are nice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gardening Newbie

Matt James?

see story thread
    see story thread
    see story thread
    see story thread
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. fimonkey

Busy Lizzies and Geraniums

Sorry everyone, forgot the topic was bizzie lizzies etc- Getting rather bogged down with my bulb problem.
    Sorry everyone, forgot the topic was bizzie lizzies etc- Getting rather bogged down with my bulb problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Rosalind

Datura

Thanks for the advice. I will try it. I do overwinter in the green house and normlly cut it down to about 9" but don't water it very much in the winter.
    Thanks for the advice. I will try it. I do overwinter in the green house and normlly cut it down to about 9" but don't water it very much in the winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Webmaster

Alan Titchmarsh's new role

priceless, rositue
    priceless, rositue
    priceless, rositue
    priceless, rositue
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice