General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. nottinghamtaff

marsh marigold

Let it do it's own thing, it will die back a bit in the winter anyway. If it's smothering other plants you could tie it up.
    Let it do it's own thing, it will die back a bit in the winter anyway. If it's smothering other plants you could tie it up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. crazycodders

red robin

Hi Photinia red robin make great subjects for clipping - encourages more young red shoots, so you can keep 'em quite short. (they lose the intense red in the shade)
    Hi Photinia red robin make great subjects for clipping - encourages more young red shoots, so you can keep 'em quite short. (they lose the intense red in the shade)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. andi04

Can any one help

I think they learn to do it in "Builders School" ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gardening Newbie

Newspaper Mulch

I used to put them in the bottom of a runner bean trench in the allotment, brilliant for conserving water, but on the surface it tends to blow all over as soon as it dries out
    I used to put them in the bottom of a runner bean trench in the allotment, brilliant for conserving water, but on the surface it tends to blow all over as soon as it dries out
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Gardening Newbie

Soil PH

Hi HelenI have a Pieris growing in neutral soil...I just give it a drink of sequestered iron tonic now and again while treating the Magnolia and Acers....its thriving
    Hi HelenI have a Pieris growing in neutral soil...I just give it a drink of sequestered iron tonic now and again while treating the Magnolia and Acers....its thriving
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fran

Mother in Laws Tongue

Cranking this back to the top to let you know that mine have now flowered, but more importantly to say that I was at Kew over the weekend and they have a MILT in their 'scent' garden, therefore...
    Cranking this back to the top to let you know that mine have now flowered, but more importantly to say that I was at Kew over the weekend and they have a MILT in their 'scent' garden, therefore the scented flowers must exist!
    Cranking this back to the top to let you know that mine have now flowered, but more importantly to say that I was at Kew over the weekend and they have a MILT in their 'scent' garden, therefore the scented flowers must exist!
    Cranking this back to the top to let you know that mine have now flowered, but more importantly to say that I was at Kew over the weekend and they have a MILT in their 'scent' garden, therefore...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. revin helen

New Zealand flat worms

Thanks for the web sites I'm pretty sure it was a flatworm now. I did pick it up with my bare hands but it didn't cause anywhere near as much irritation as the brambles I was digging out, or as...
    Thanks for the web sites I'm pretty sure it was a flatworm now. I did pick it up with my bare hands but it didn't cause anywhere near as much irritation as the brambles I was digging out, or as much irritation as the sole of my shoe caused the wee beastie.
    Thanks for the web sites I'm pretty sure it was a flatworm now. I did pick it up with my bare hands but it didn't cause anywhere near as much irritation as the brambles I was digging out, or as much irritation as the sole of my shoe caused the...
    Thanks for the web sites I'm pretty sure it was a flatworm now. I did pick it up with my bare hands but it didn't cause anywhere near as much irritation as the brambles I was digging out, or as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sandie

a horrid bush that smells of cat urine

Looks like a nice little bush, as you say it is at the ffaaarrr end. [ 30. May 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]
    Looks like a nice little bush, as you say it is at the ffaaarrr end. [ 30. May 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Webmaster

RHS June 'To Do' list

Thanks, it's a good read and has given me some very good advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. mimosa

Now that my bluebells are over...

They are bad! I had them overtaking the garden, and dug them all out. Read they are not good for our native Bluebell. For sure, cutting back will not kill :mad:
    They are bad! I had them overtaking the garden, and dug them all out. Read they are not good for our native Bluebell. For sure, cutting back will not kill :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Brambles

Help Neglected area

In my opinion, when all else fails clearing out persistant roots needs a proprietary weedkiller like Roundup. Spray it on the leaves and it goes right to the root system. It is inactive after a...
    In my opinion, when all else fails clearing out persistant roots needs a proprietary weedkiller like Roundup. Spray it on the leaves and it goes right to the root system. It is inactive after a few hours (for animals and wildlife). I've cleared out a couple of problem spots with it.Mulch is...
    In my opinion, when all else fails clearing out persistant roots needs a proprietary weedkiller like Roundup. Spray it on the leaves and it goes right to the root system. It is inactive after a few hours (for animals and wildlife). I've cleared...
    In my opinion, when all else fails clearing out persistant roots needs a proprietary weedkiller like Roundup. Spray it on the leaves and it goes right to the root system. It is inactive after a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lin

garden make over

Hi lin When you move your plants to help your survival rate chop back all deciduos plants by half even though they are in flower. As where you have dug them up you will have unknowingly cut back...
    Hi lin When you move your plants to help your survival rate chop back all deciduos plants by half even though they are in flower. As where you have dug them up you will have unknowingly cut back root system by as much as half and so if you replant with only half the root system and all the...
    Hi lin When you move your plants to help your survival rate chop back all deciduos plants by half even though they are in flower. As where you have dug them up you will have unknowingly cut back root system by as much as half and so if you...
    Hi lin When you move your plants to help your survival rate chop back all deciduos plants by half even though they are in flower. As where you have dug them up you will have unknowingly cut back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. small

Rhododendrons

Hi Small How old is your Rhody? & how big? where is it growing (what kind of soil? which way is it facing n, s, e or w?) Need a bit more info
    Hi Small How old is your Rhody? & how big? where is it growing (what kind of soil? which way is it facing n, s, e or w?) Need a bit more info
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterBale

Chelsea - videos and blogs and pictures

Jardim = gardens, flor = flowers, muitos esfera = lots of balls!!! Will post pics later this week Fran, have deadline at the moment (doing a bit of "avoidance" on here!!!)
    Jardim = gardens, flor = flowers, muitos esfera = lots of balls!!! Will post pics later this week Fran, have deadline at the moment (doing a bit of "avoidance" on here!!!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. revin helen

wax flowerless

I don't think you're supposed to re-pot them until absolutely necessary, perhaps I'll just have to wait until it's pot bound. I had a hoya bella, that flowered then it died. :( I've even managed...
    I don't think you're supposed to re-pot them until absolutely necessary, perhaps I'll just have to wait until it's pot bound. I had a hoya bella, that flowered then it died. :( I've even managed to kill a spider plant, I'm not very good with house plants I think I'm too kind to them.
    I don't think you're supposed to re-pot them until absolutely necessary, perhaps I'll just have to wait until it's pot bound. I had a hoya bella, that flowered then it died. :( I've even managed to kill a spider plant, I'm not very good with...
    I don't think you're supposed to re-pot them until absolutely necessary, perhaps I'll just have to wait until it's pot bound. I had a hoya bella, that flowered then it died. :( I've even managed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. becca

Gardening & Teeth

or CANE-ines
    or CANE-ines
    or CANE-ines
    or CANE-ines
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. maisie

rhodedendrons

pete, thanx will try that. maisie
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. faithworks

daffodil bulbs

Deadhead daffs straight away, leave foliage on a min of 6 weeks (till it turns yellow) whilst feeding once a week, don't tie them up. foliage needed to photosynthesise to make enough food for...
    Deadhead daffs straight away, leave foliage on a min of 6 weeks (till it turns yellow) whilst feeding once a week, don't tie them up. foliage needed to photosynthesise to make enough food for bulbs to flower next year. I usually leave foliage on & plant annuals around - the foliage protects...
    Deadhead daffs straight away, leave foliage on a min of 6 weeks (till it turns yellow) whilst feeding once a week, don't tie them up. foliage needed to photosynthesise to make enough food for bulbs to flower next year. I usually leave foliage...
    Deadhead daffs straight away, leave foliage on a min of 6 weeks (till it turns yellow) whilst feeding once a week, don't tie them up. foliage needed to photosynthesise to make enough food for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lynne

plant labels - slate, copper, aluminium

I find the pen makes a difference, they always look better with a neat fine tip, well written, (opposite to most of mine)
    I find the pen makes a difference, they always look better with a neat fine tip, well written, (opposite to most of mine)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Mrs cloudy

Scottish Garden Show

With any garden show, take your visa card <gg> no matter what it is, there is always something and scottish gardening is up with the best.
    With any garden show, take your visa card <gg> no matter what it is, there is always something and scottish gardening is up with the best.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice