General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. spaceclanger

NEED HELP WITH SOME GARDEN RESEARCH!!

HelloI have a big garden that is surrounded by fields in NE Scotland. I compost most garden waste as well as a fair bit of household waste. I use the free cds from magazines to scare birds...
    HelloI have a big garden that is surrounded by fields in NE Scotland. I compost most garden waste as well as a fair bit of household waste. I use the free cds from magazines to scare birds (with limited success, maybe i should play some of them instead :eek: )+ little drinks bottles on top...
    HelloI have a big garden that is surrounded by fields in NE Scotland. I compost most garden waste as well as a fair bit of household waste. I use the free cds from magazines to scare birds (with limited success, maybe i should play some of...
    HelloI have a big garden that is surrounded by fields in NE Scotland. I compost most garden waste as well as a fair bit of household waste. I use the free cds from magazines to scare birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sue Gill

Magnolia Susan

You can grow it in a tub using ericaceous compostalternatively dig out a large hole fill it with ericaceous compost and give it an iron tonic now and again (follow the instructions on...
    You can grow it in a tub using ericaceous compostalternatively dig out a large hole fill it with ericaceous compost and give it an iron tonic now and again (follow the instructions on sequestered iron or ferous sulphate tonics from garden centres) you will know when it needs an iron boost as...
    You can grow it in a tub using ericaceous compostalternatively dig out a large hole fill it with ericaceous compost and give it an iron tonic now and again (follow the instructions on sequestered iron or ferous sulphate tonics from garden...
    You can grow it in a tub using ericaceous compostalternatively dig out a large hole fill it with ericaceous compost and give it an iron tonic now and again (follow the instructions on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. aqua

New Gardeners - Hows it going?

I've been spending time moving thing to less crowded spots. I got my first garden 12 years ago I was detemined not to over plant this garden when I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't...
    I've been spending time moving thing to less crowded spots. I got my first garden 12 years ago I was detemined not to over plant this garden when I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't learnt that my garden is not a TARDIS. I don't seem to be able to resist anything that's pretty and...
    I've been spending time moving thing to less crowded spots. I got my first garden 12 years ago I was detemined not to over plant this garden when I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't learnt that my garden is not a TARDIS. I don't seem to...
    I've been spending time moving thing to less crowded spots. I got my first garden 12 years ago I was detemined not to over plant this garden when I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lynne

planting next to a fence

You arent going to have to worry about the fence for ages. If you are worried about it though, dont plant climbers and if you plant shrubs dont let them grow too big. Remember that if you plant...
    You arent going to have to worry about the fence for ages. If you are worried about it though, dont plant climbers and if you plant shrubs dont let them grow too big. Remember that if you plant lots of herbaceous plants they will die back in winter giving you a chance to get to the fence.
    You arent going to have to worry about the fence for ages. If you are worried about it though, dont plant climbers and if you plant shrubs dont let them grow too big. Remember that if you plant lots of herbaceous plants they will die back in...
    You arent going to have to worry about the fence for ages. If you are worried about it though, dont plant climbers and if you plant shrubs dont let them grow too big. Remember that if you plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. slugbug

Liners for baskets & stands

Slugbug..... have a nice time too, think of me doing the same ( sipping a glass or 2 of wine )while admiring my hard work in my garden... for the last 3 months,...
    Slugbug..... have a nice time too, think of me doing the same ( sipping a glass or 2 of wine )while admiring my hard work in my garden... for the last 3 months, lol...... -------------------- Hanging basket? I know the moss baskets are nice, but by the time the plants are growing you won't...
    Slugbug..... have a nice time too, think of me doing the same ( sipping a glass or 2 of wine )while admiring my hard work in my garden... for the last 3 months, lol...... -------------------- Hanging basket? I know the moss baskets are nice,...
    Slugbug..... have a nice time too, think of me doing the same ( sipping a glass or 2 of wine )while admiring my hard work in my garden... for the last 3 months,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ellgee

Evergreen climbers - suggestions please...

Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I'll be off to the garden centre this weekend. cheers
    Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I'll be off to the garden centre this weekend. cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. nobby

Japanese Anemones

Thanks again Fran, I will persevere with the Pathclear.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. janeg

Trumpet Vine

Pete, thanks for your msge - it is a campsis radicans mme galen which, according to everything i've read, isn't particularly affected by any disease/insect etc. The stems haven't been chewed but...
    Pete, thanks for your msge - it is a campsis radicans mme galen which, according to everything i've read, isn't particularly affected by any disease/insect etc. The stems haven't been chewed but rather chopped, plus it's only happened above the first approx 3' of the plant. I'm absolutely...
    Pete, thanks for your msge - it is a campsis radicans mme galen which, according to everything i've read, isn't particularly affected by any disease/insect etc. The stems haven't been chewed but rather chopped, plus it's only happened above the...
    Pete, thanks for your msge - it is a campsis radicans mme galen which, according to everything i've read, isn't particularly affected by any disease/insect etc. The stems haven't been chewed but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. madgeuk

help me with my montbrecia!!!!

Oh thanks for the reply!
    Oh thanks for the reply!
    Oh thanks for the reply!
    Oh thanks for the reply!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Huw

Fence/Hedge/Shield

Thanks guys, sounds like Clematis is the way to go!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. M1chael1970

Virginia creepers

I have a virginia creeper and they seem to be very slow at growing and spreading. I think 6-8ft apart would be ample room. Rosey
    I have a virginia creeper and they seem to be very slow at growing and spreading. I think 6-8ft apart would be ample room. Rosey
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Lisa30

Lavender problem

Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also hates wet, like a lot of grey leaved plants. I grow Lavender in clay, not known for its sharp...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also hates wet, like a lot of grey leaved plants. I grow...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. spademan19

fast growing hedges

I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still...
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still sprout, something not many conifers can do.
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still sprout, something not many conifers can do.
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. green welly

pampas grass

Not so much to do with age as size. A reasonable sized plant should flower this year I should think.
    Not so much to do with age as size. A reasonable sized plant should flower this year I should think.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lisa30

Rhododendrons

Im told that some rhoddies take a good few years to start flowering properly. Im hoping that is it because i have the same problem as you.
    Im told that some rhoddies take a good few years to start flowering properly. Im hoping that is it because i have the same problem as you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. slugbug

Heavy showers of rain

It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good...
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good thing to come out of it is it's I am getting plenty of exercise!!!
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good thing to come out of it is it's I am getting plenty...
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Deewitch

camellia frost damage help please

Thanks so much I will let you know how it goesDee
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. daveyp

rotorvating

I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing estate built on the grounds of High Legh Hall near Lymm.I think the builders left all the houses with...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing estate built on the grounds of High Legh Hall near...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. MikeDriver

Ferns, any problems with them?

The japanese painted ferns (without looking it up I think its anthyrium?) have beautiful coloured leaves
    The japanese painted ferns (without looking it up I think its anthyrium?) have beautiful coloured leaves
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. aqua

PLastic Pots and Drainage

Green-tea bags of course Ladybird ;)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice