General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. slugbug

Fuchsias

Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too...
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too many questions I do have a book which I have started to read but I can't take it all in that quick. Jacqui
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too many questions I do have a book which I have started...
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. aqua

Oh Damn - Plants wilted HELP!

Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied of floorboards, fitted cabinets, boiler, and various other items that have been ripped out of the...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied of floorboards, fitted cabinets, boiler, and...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley

Lupins. Should I or shouldn't I?

:D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last into next year if they do. :( I shall put some gell crystals in the pots too. A dwarf variety sounds...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last into next year if they do. :( I shall put some...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. daveyp

rotavator/cultivator?

Usually hire shops use Petrol engine rotorvators..... And usually a Honda engine, as they are very reliable.Nathan.
    Usually hire shops use Petrol engine rotorvators..... And usually a Honda engine, as they are very reliable.Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. slugbug

Ground Elder

Found this info which indicates it has uses. Looking at the picture, I think all the stuff I have to dig up on the side of the back garden is this, rather than nettles (as I thought). Aw, heck. :(
    Found this info which indicates it has uses. Looking at the picture, I think all the stuff I have to dig up on the side of the back garden is this, rather than nettles (as I thought). Aw, heck. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. MarkO

Plastic barrier to keep back the ground elder...?

MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup....
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup. :mad: Those roots are something else! Paladin
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup. :mad: Those roots are something else! Paladin
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup....
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Liz Giz

Want to Mow A Meadow!

Don't tell me you're a Chelsea fan too Nathan :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kev

Protection of pampas grass

Just cut it back as low as you can its almost impossible to kill, although it is a bit late I must admit.
    Just cut it back as low as you can its almost impossible to kill, although it is a bit late I must admit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. slugbug

? too late to plant seeds

Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and well rotted muck dug in during the previous season.Haven't got a clue about peppers,...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and well rotted muck dug in during the previous...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. 2pods

Holes in pots

ThanksIt must be one of life's mysteries ;)I think if I have to drill it'll have to be the sides.Peter
    ThanksIt must be one of life's mysteries ;)I think if I have to drill it'll have to be the sides.Peter
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. jpb1958

Stinging Nettles

Hi Fran Thanks for your reply.I do not know where they are coming from because they seem to be all around. I will try your method and let you know. Many thanks John
    Hi Fran Thanks for your reply.I do not know where they are coming from because they seem to be all around. I will try your method and let you know. Many thanks John
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. joycey

Pruning a pieris?

Hi Skiver This is starting to sound better by the minute, I think i'll definately be giving the pierris a haircut at the weekend!!!! I've lived here for 4 years and the peirris was here prior to...
    Hi Skiver This is starting to sound better by the minute, I think i'll definately be giving the pierris a haircut at the weekend!!!! I've lived here for 4 years and the peirris was here prior to that so I've no actual idea how old it is. Like you I water and feed as well throughout the summer. ...
    Hi Skiver This is starting to sound better by the minute, I think i'll definately be giving the pierris a haircut at the weekend!!!! I've lived here for 4 years and the peirris was here prior to that so I've no actual idea how old it is. Like...
    Hi Skiver This is starting to sound better by the minute, I think i'll definately be giving the pierris a haircut at the weekend!!!! I've lived here for 4 years and the peirris was here prior to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. The Skiver

Aucuba

Hi Cheeky Skiver Yep Shade is fine. Incorportate some compost/chicken poo when planting & water well, then mulch with more compost.
    Hi Cheeky Skiver Yep Shade is fine. Incorportate some compost/chicken poo when planting & water well, then mulch with more compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Capercaillie

The Great Pigeon Debate.

I actually know more about owls, but I was aware of these things as I spend a bit of time at a place near Andover called the Hawk Conservancy.In the Middle Ages you needed permission from the...
    I actually know more about owls, but I was aware of these things as I spend a bit of time at a place near Andover called the Hawk Conservancy.In the Middle Ages you needed permission from the King to own a hawk as they were such efficient hunters. There is a famous case in contract law where...
    I actually know more about owls, but I was aware of these things as I spend a bit of time at a place near Andover called the Hawk Conservancy.In the Middle Ages you needed permission from the King to own a hawk as they were such efficient...
    I actually know more about owls, but I was aware of these things as I spend a bit of time at a place near Andover called the Hawk Conservancy.In the Middle Ages you needed permission from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. rosietutu

Lichen

Lichen tends to grow on things that remain damp for a certain amount of the year, although they can stand complete drying out for long periods. Seem to remember reading something about them only...
    Lichen tends to grow on things that remain damp for a certain amount of the year, although they can stand complete drying out for long periods. Seem to remember reading something about them only growing in areas where there is not much pollution. They wont harm the plants, they are not...
    Lichen tends to grow on things that remain damp for a certain amount of the year, although they can stand complete drying out for long periods. Seem to remember reading something about them only growing in areas where there is not much...
    Lichen tends to grow on things that remain damp for a certain amount of the year, although they can stand complete drying out for long periods. Seem to remember reading something about them only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. leahs_mum

Advice needed on bark chipping

i dont know of a brand name but i have seen on tv a type which had citronella in it to deter cats and dogs,but it was expensive. i have no idea where you can buy it but if you ask your garden...
    i dont know of a brand name but i have seen on tv a type which had citronella in it to deter cats and dogs,but it was expensive. i have no idea where you can buy it but if you ask your garden centre then they may be able to source it for you. if its not too big a play area then maybe you could...
    i dont know of a brand name but i have seen on tv a type which had citronella in it to deter cats and dogs,but it was expensive. i have no idea where you can buy it but if you ask your garden centre then they may be able to source it for you. if...
    i dont know of a brand name but i have seen on tv a type which had citronella in it to deter cats and dogs,but it was expensive. i have no idea where you can buy it but if you ask your garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. simonwar

Roof garden planters ....

Hi Bayleaf, thanks for the reply.Contemporary and Continental The look I'm after is contemporary with a bit of continental, (therefore clean lines, straight edges, white walls, using lights,...
    Hi Bayleaf, thanks for the reply.Contemporary and Continental The look I'm after is contemporary with a bit of continental, (therefore clean lines, straight edges, white walls, using lights, water features, and a pergola over the top).Loadings Loadings are a major consideration, only...
    Hi Bayleaf, thanks for the reply.Contemporary and Continental The look I'm after is contemporary with a bit of continental, (therefore clean lines, straight edges, white walls, using lights, water features, and a pergola over the...
    Hi Bayleaf, thanks for the reply.Contemporary and Continental The look I'm after is contemporary with a bit of continental, (therefore clean lines, straight edges, white walls, using lights,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lynne

white lilac not flowering

Hi Lynne You're probably being too nice to it! Leave it alone, don't feed, water or do anything, give it chance to settle in (it should be fine in your chalky soil in sun as it likes neutral to...
    Hi Lynne You're probably being too nice to it! Leave it alone, don't feed, water or do anything, give it chance to settle in (it should be fine in your chalky soil in sun as it likes neutral to alkaline conditions) It may take a couple of seasons to get its feet under the table, but its not a...
    Hi Lynne You're probably being too nice to it! Leave it alone, don't feed, water or do anything, give it chance to settle in (it should be fine in your chalky soil in sun as it likes neutral to alkaline conditions) It may take a couple of seasons...
    Hi Lynne You're probably being too nice to it! Leave it alone, don't feed, water or do anything, give it chance to settle in (it should be fine in your chalky soil in sun as it likes neutral to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Allison

Seedling Disaster??

Thanks Dalbuie - the plants all look ok today (24 hours later) - I will water them in a mo and then check again in the morning.. if they look like they are flagging I will repot.Jacqui: I have...
    Thanks Dalbuie - the plants all look ok today (24 hours later) - I will water them in a mo and then check again in the morning.. if they look like they are flagging I will repot.Jacqui: I have actually sprayed diluted washing up liquid on a honeysuckle to get rid of aphids and it seems to...
    Thanks Dalbuie - the plants all look ok today (24 hours later) - I will water them in a mo and then check again in the morning.. if they look like they are flagging I will repot.Jacqui: I have actually sprayed diluted washing up liquid on a...
    Thanks Dalbuie - the plants all look ok today (24 hours later) - I will water them in a mo and then check again in the morning.. if they look like they are flagging I will repot.Jacqui: I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. The Garden Ghost

Privet Pruning....guidance needed...

Thanks guys, I'll pick my moment and hack away - like the sound of an axe after a hard week, I've checked the hedge for nests and none there, next door's cat would probably see to that anyway.
    Thanks guys, I'll pick my moment and hack away - like the sound of an axe after a hard week, I've checked the hedge for nests and none there, next door's cat would probably see to that anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice