General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Mattyp

Advice on what to plant as a natural barrier

The idea is to hide the wall but also have a higher boundary. So something 1-1.5m tall would be good. I went out and measured last night and goes from about 27cm wide and gradually tapers up...
    The idea is to hide the wall but also have a higher boundary. So something 1-1.5m tall would be good. I went out and measured last night and goes from about 27cm wide and gradually tapers up towards the top of the drive to about 17cm. I don't think these numbers change the game though.
    The idea is to hide the wall but also have a higher boundary. So something 1-1.5m tall would be good. I went out and measured last night and goes from about 27cm wide and gradually tapers up towards the top of the drive to about 17cm. I don't...
    The idea is to hide the wall but also have a higher boundary. So something 1-1.5m tall would be good. I went out and measured last night and goes from about 27cm wide and gradually tapers up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Jenny_Aster

Verdicts on water retention crystals

I tried them one yr, but it turned out to be a very wet summer and they all rose to the top of the compost and sat there like a globulous mass of jelly. :help: I wouldn't use them again because I'm not...
    I tried them one yr, but it turned out to be a very wet summer and they all rose to the top of the compost and sat there like a globulous mass of jelly. :help: I wouldn't use them again because I'm not sure how you should dispose of spent compost with them in.
    I tried them one yr, but it turned out to be a very wet summer and they all rose to the top of the compost and sat there like a globulous mass of jelly. :help: I wouldn't use them again because I'm not sure how you should dispose of spent compost with...
    I tried them one yr, but it turned out to be a very wet summer and they all rose to the top of the compost and sat there like a globulous mass of jelly. :help: I wouldn't use them again because I'm not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hailbopp

Does sheep’s fleece work as a slug deterrent?

The mulch that I'm acquiring now by the trailer-load seems to be very effective. Although you're supposed to put wet mulch on damp ground, no chance with this stuff as it's made of shredded trees...
    The mulch that I'm acquiring now by the trailer-load seems to be very effective. Although you're supposed to put wet mulch on damp ground, no chance with this stuff as it's made of shredded trees and cow manure composted together and is very, very dry and dusty. Water seems to leach through it...
    The mulch that I'm acquiring now by the trailer-load seems to be very effective. Although you're supposed to put wet mulch on damp ground, no chance with this stuff as it's made of shredded trees and cow manure composted together and is very,...
    The mulch that I'm acquiring now by the trailer-load seems to be very effective. Although you're supposed to put wet mulch on damp ground, no chance with this stuff as it's made of shredded trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PhilC

House plant best soiless mix (Hydo coco)

Two methods we have found effective against the Fungus Gnats for our houseplants, only just starting to find the odd one or two now after the treatment early last summer.Summit Mosquito Bits...
    Two methods we have found effective against the Fungus Gnats for our houseplants, only just starting to find the odd one or two now after the treatment early last summer.Summit Mosquito Bits (amazon) watered in appear quiet effective though a little costly but you may need to give 2 treatments...
    Two methods we have found effective against the Fungus Gnats for our houseplants, only just starting to find the odd one or two now after the treatment early last summer.Summit Mosquito Bits (amazon) watered in appear quiet effective though a...
    Two methods we have found effective against the Fungus Gnats for our houseplants, only just starting to find the odd one or two now after the treatment early last summer.Summit Mosquito Bits...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Brian L

Need new mower. Cordless, SP but small. Ideas ??

Cheques in the post @glosmike ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. hailbopp

Membrane pins

I think I got the metal ones in Lidl or pound shop. Quite solid and cheap. I'm not using them for membrane, but to hold home made slate labels.
    I think I got the metal ones in Lidl or pound shop. Quite solid and cheap. I'm not using them for membrane, but to hold home made slate labels.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. fumanchu

Now what?

Birdbath from round the back developed a leak and I relocated it this morning. (via a wee trolley on castors and a bit of string tied on to pull it with :roflol:). Going to fill it with compost and pretty...
    Birdbath from round the back developed a leak and I relocated it this morning. (via a wee trolley on castors and a bit of string tied on to pull it with :roflol:). Going to fill it with compost and pretty rockery plants
    Birdbath from round the back developed a leak and I relocated it this morning. (via a wee trolley on castors and a bit of string tied on to pull it with :roflol:). Going to fill it with compost and pretty rockery plants
    Birdbath from round the back developed a leak and I relocated it this morning. (via a wee trolley on castors and a bit of string tied on to pull it with :roflol:). Going to fill it with compost and pretty...
    G.jpg DSCF0081.JPG aaa1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. PhilC

Can you grow Sugar Cane from seeds?

Always worth a try- and seeds will not break your bank.This seller in eBay seems fairly reliable, and advises to grow Sugar cane like sweetcorn.10x AMERICAN GIANT SUGAR CANE SEEDS GROW YOUR...
    Always worth a try- and seeds will not break your bank.This seller in eBay seems fairly reliable, and advises to grow Sugar cane like sweetcorn.10x AMERICAN GIANT SUGAR CANE SEEDS GROW YOUR OWN SUGAR PLANT TREE SEEDLING UK | eBayI'd be tempted to try some as houseplant. Rather a...
    Always worth a try- and seeds will not break your bank.This seller in eBay seems fairly reliable, and advises to grow Sugar cane like sweetcorn.10x AMERICAN GIANT SUGAR CANE SEEDS GROW YOUR OWN SUGAR PLANT TREE SEEDLING UK | eBayI'd be...
    Always worth a try- and seeds will not break your bank.This seller in eBay seems fairly reliable, and advises to grow Sugar cane like sweetcorn.10x AMERICAN GIANT SUGAR CANE SEEDS GROW YOUR...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. OwdPotter

Euphorbia

Don’t forget there is a lovely Euphorbia for damp ground, grows well in my bog garden, E.pallustris. E.martinii grows pretty much anywhere in my garden and will self seed.
    Don’t forget there is a lovely Euphorbia for damp ground, grows well in my bog garden, E.pallustris. E.martinii grows pretty much anywhere in my garden and will self seed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Goldenlily26

Artichokes

I ordered 2 artichoke plants from the Victorian Garden Nursery last week. One arrived yesterday, the other to follow next month. The plant is battered and bruised from being banged around inside...
    I ordered 2 artichoke plants from the Victorian Garden Nursery last week. One arrived yesterday, the other to follow next month. The plant is battered and bruised from being banged around inside the packaging. Hopefully it will survive. It needs to be potted up and given some TLC before being...
    I ordered 2 artichoke plants from the Victorian Garden Nursery last week. One arrived yesterday, the other to follow next month. The plant is battered and bruised from being banged around inside the packaging. Hopefully it will survive. It needs...
    I ordered 2 artichoke plants from the Victorian Garden Nursery last week. One arrived yesterday, the other to follow next month. The plant is battered and bruised from being banged around inside...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Pink678

Is this little blossom tree dead?

Good for the mind - the decluttering As well as for the garden ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. BB3

Primrose ' lawn'

When the flowers finish I mow the lot as they all grow in the grass, they come back next year.
    When the flowers finish I mow the lot as they all grow in the grass, they come back next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Gilla.Walmsley

Help! Frost has killed my dahlias

I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house....
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house. The shed isn't watertight, and it's the wet cold that's a real killer for them. Growhouse is nowhere...
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house. The shed isn't watertight, and it's the wet cold...
    I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one. Mine really have to be overwintered in the house....
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Alan Clark

Tatton Flower Show to stop being an annual event

The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is not an organisation run by or for the rich and the snobby. It covers all aspects of trying to get...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is not an organisation run by or for the rich and the...
    The RHS supports community garden - RHS Community Outreach / RHS Gardening - which helps people who haven't got their own psace or need advice to grow their own plants, especially edibles.It is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Emerion

Old fashioned wild flower names

Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along...
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along with bluebells now and cowslips before.I've always known them as cockles.
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along with bluebells now and cowslips before.I've...
    Round here, @Emerion, and also where we lived in central, rural Belgium, all the silenes are albas and look stunning against the spring green backdrop in the hedgerows and woodland glades along...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dangermousie

"Blind" bluebells

I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that lots of people are referring to something that basically looks like a normal bluebell as Spanish. ...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that lots of people are referring to something that...
    I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. earlydaze

asiatic lily problems

That's a good result then
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

Very nice @EscarpmentLittle daffs - Pueblo, and tulips in the pot in front not far off opening- they're Honky Tonk. Acers, wallflowers and saxifrages.
    Very nice @EscarpmentLittle daffs - Pueblo, and tulips in the pot in front not far off opening- they're Honky Tonk. Acers, wallflowers and saxifrages.
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Skylark001

How to eradicate bamboo?

I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that should be able to cope with the bank and the "difficult ground" Whole cultivars of bamboos can flower...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that should be able to cope with the bank and the...
    I would say different; the advantage it has is that it is taken up through the roots as well as the foliage. The easiest way is as @noisette47 suggests hire a full size JCB and driver and that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Anna33

Trying to remember an episode of Gardeners World from a few years ago

I ordered this rose last night ,managed to get one as a lot out of stock should be delivered in next few days.
    I ordered this rose last night ,managed to get one as a lot out of stock should be delivered in next few days.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice