General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. RoisinMcGuire

What is wrong with my eucalyptus gunni?

They aren't too difficult in the ground if you just pollard them every year. You then get a difference in the foliage too, as it's longer rather than rounded, and the colour is more intense If...
    They aren't too difficult in the ground if you just pollard them every year. You then get a difference in the foliage too, as it's longer rather than rounded, and the colour is more intense If you decide to re pot though, the one that isn't happy might just need a bit more shade while it...
    They aren't too difficult in the ground if you just pollard them every year. You then get a difference in the foliage too, as it's longer rather than rounded, and the colour is more intense If you decide to re pot though, the one that isn't...
    They aren't too difficult in the ground if you just pollard them every year. You then get a difference in the foliage too, as it's longer rather than rounded, and the colour is more intense If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BB3
    Funny x 3

Just like the first day at school?

The sweetcorn I planted out are getting away happily. Thoroughly enjoying the rain and warmth. The babies I moved into the greenhouse are stretching themselves out now and beginning to get bigger....
    The sweetcorn I planted out are getting away happily. Thoroughly enjoying the rain and warmth. The babies I moved into the greenhouse are stretching themselves out now and beginning to get bigger. I am very nervous about planting out the courgettes, squash etc. I feel there is an army of slugs...
    The sweetcorn I planted out are getting away happily. Thoroughly enjoying the rain and warmth. The babies I moved into the greenhouse are stretching themselves out now and beginning to get bigger. I am very nervous about planting out the...
    The sweetcorn I planted out are getting away happily. Thoroughly enjoying the rain and warmth. The babies I moved into the greenhouse are stretching themselves out now and beginning to get bigger....
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. fumanchu

Growing Lilac

Yes, the winters can ruin anything. Last house was up on moors at 300m and for 30 years I battled with weather - much easier down here. So can I buy lilac and put it in now, or is there a set time...
    Yes, the winters can ruin anything. Last house was up on moors at 300m and for 30 years I battled with weather - much easier down here. So can I buy lilac and put it in now, or is there a set time to plant it??
    Yes, the winters can ruin anything. Last house was up on moors at 300m and for 30 years I battled with weather - much easier down here. So can I buy lilac and put it in now, or is there a set time to plant it??
    Yes, the winters can ruin anything. Last house was up on moors at 300m and for 30 years I battled with weather - much easier down here. So can I buy lilac and put it in now, or is there a set time...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sams321

Cedar wood fencing

I think it looks better now that it's aged some.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Spruce

Bathsheba (David Austin Rose)

Oh that's ok, it'll be perfectly fine on a fence with wires..
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Thevictorian

hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris winter surprise hardiness

This was splendid in my last garden but died in the current one. But the soil is really hard where I put it and although there are trees around I think it got too much sun
    This was splendid in my last garden but died in the current one. But the soil is really hard where I put it and although there are trees around I think it got too much sun
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Javidr

Removing apple tree bottom branches

The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet from the trunk. It's not this simple but for young trees the roots will probably be around the width...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet from the trunk. It's not this simple but for young...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. PhilC

When is it safe to plant out my Echium?

As long as we dont get another 'beast from the east';).
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. hailbopp
    Informative x 3

Promising protection against slugs.

No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that their favourites were awkward to destroy and turned their onslaught onto the clump of Ligularia that...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that their favourites were awkward to destroy and...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HedgeGuy

New hornbeam hedge pruning questions - how much, how often

Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through for the most part. To encourage this, I plan on pruning the outward growth while leaving the leader...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through for the most part. To encourage this, I plan on...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BB3

I D please

Smallish very full front garden. It'd have a job to spread. But I'm on to it now anyway:paladin: So long as it behaves it can stay
    Smallish very full front garden. It'd have a job to spread. But I'm on to it now anyway:paladin: So long as it behaves it can stay
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Spruce

How Green is Chelsea flower show

I don't think any major event, horticultural or otherwise, can truly claim to be 'sustainable' for the reasons given in the article. What events such as the major flowers can do is give people...
    I don't think any major event, horticultural or otherwise, can truly claim to be 'sustainable' for the reasons given in the article. What events such as the major flowers can do is give people ideas and advise on making their own gardens sustainable. That could be far more productive in the...
    I don't think any major event, horticultural or otherwise, can truly claim to be 'sustainable' for the reasons given in the article. What events such as the major flowers can do is give people ideas and advise on making their own gardens...
    I don't think any major event, horticultural or otherwise, can truly claim to be 'sustainable' for the reasons given in the article. What events such as the major flowers can do is give people...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Javidr

How to feed plants with mulch

Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Javidr

Lavender parasite

Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. NoviceGardener2023

Trimming Rosemary

The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we continue to get the warm winters we've had for the last few years here, that might change, but it's...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we continue to get the warm winters we've had for the...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. GSB

What to do with this topiary ball

It's alive and thriving, but no longer a topiary ball!If original box top hadn't died due to the extreme December 2022 temps, box tree moth would have got it summer of 2023 anyway, they have...
    It's alive and thriving, but no longer a topiary ball!If original box top hadn't died due to the extreme December 2022 temps, box tree moth would have got it summer of 2023 anyway, they have been prolific and devastating in my area (North Bucks).
    It's alive and thriving, but no longer a topiary ball!If original box top hadn't died due to the extreme December 2022 temps, box tree moth would have got it summer of 2023 anyway, they have been prolific and devastating in my area (North...
    It's alive and thriving, but no longer a topiary ball!If original box top hadn't died due to the extreme December 2022 temps, box tree moth would have got it summer of 2023 anyway, they have...
    before.jpg 20230501_165720.jpg 20230501_165423.jpg 20240519_123801.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ricky Spangle

What are you upto this weekend?

@Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw him. He was wandering around and said "Auntie Ros, have you seen the dust on the top of here?" ...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw him. He was wandering around and said "Auntie...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. BB3

Bidens

Not that I've noticed, but I'm awful vigilant:paladin: @ViewAhead
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. RDB85

Battery Powered Hayter Mower or Push Mower

This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm....
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm. Most of the rain fell on 8th-9th-10th, 15th-16th and 21st-22nd, leaving plenty of grass-cutting...
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm. Most of the rain fell on 8th-9th-10th, 15th-16th...
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Goldenlily26

No dig gardening

interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they...
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they used a lot of mulch.
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they used a lot of mulch.
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice