General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Sammy J

Growing From Seed

thank you ...was explained harden process today...I was leaving them outside at night!!! Think have identified the questionable plants as pansies which are also pretty hardy too?thanks for the...
    thank you ...was explained harden process today...I was leaving them outside at night!!! Think have identified the questionable plants as pansies which are also pretty hardy too?thanks for the replysammyj
    thank you ...was explained harden process today...I was leaving them outside at night!!! Think have identified the questionable plants as pansies which are also pretty hardy too?thanks for the replysammyj
    thank you ...was explained harden process today...I was leaving them outside at night!!! Think have identified the questionable plants as pansies which are also pretty hardy too?thanks for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mat

Hibiscus blooms - how long do they last?

Perfectly normal - the flowers of the hibiscus do not last long - just remove them to keep the plant looking nice.
    Perfectly normal - the flowers of the hibiscus do not last long - just remove them to keep the plant looking nice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. jimbob

whats happening to my pieris ?

I would think that they have been frost damaged. Only time will tell.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. cazza

Neutral Soil

My neighbours don't seem to grow much of anything to be honest! It seems everyone in this area is quite happy with grass and shrubs. I bought all my plants between B & Q and Homebase garden...
    My neighbours don't seem to grow much of anything to be honest! It seems everyone in this area is quite happy with grass and shrubs. I bought all my plants between B & Q and Homebase garden centres so they maybe weren't their absolute best but seemed cheaper than "proper" garden centres.In the...
    My neighbours don't seem to grow much of anything to be honest! It seems everyone in this area is quite happy with grass and shrubs. I bought all my plants between B & Q and Homebase garden centres so they maybe weren't their absolute best but...
    My neighbours don't seem to grow much of anything to be honest! It seems everyone in this area is quite happy with grass and shrubs. I bought all my plants between B & Q and Homebase garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Dee

Buying a Propagator

PS.. to the above message.. I think it was JungleSeeds that had the best price for the cable. ~D
    PS.. to the above message.. I think it was JungleSeeds that had the best price for the cable. ~D
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. rosietutu

screening

How about a hedge of mixed natives? or take a look at this for inspiration - pics of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation - its just good old cheap wire fencing, some parts are double thickness in...
    How about a hedge of mixed natives? or take a look at this for inspiration - pics of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation - its just good old cheap wire fencing, some parts are double thickness in wave patterns wired together. Its an opportunity to get creative especially if the budget is...
    How about a hedge of mixed natives? or take a look at this for inspiration - pics of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation - its just good old cheap wire fencing, some parts are double thickness in wave patterns wired together. Its an...
    How about a hedge of mixed natives? or take a look at this for inspiration - pics of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation - its just good old cheap wire fencing, some parts are double thickness in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. greenfingersiwish

Wisteria - good grafted variety

If you go to your local Garden centres at this time of year, you will see them in flower. You can then choose which variety you like and you will know that it will flower. Most Wisteria's will...
    If you go to your local Garden centres at this time of year, you will see them in flower. You can then choose which variety you like and you will know that it will flower. Most Wisteria's will cost you from �£15-�£25 dependeing on size.
    If you go to your local Garden centres at this time of year, you will see them in flower. You can then choose which variety you like and you will know that it will flower. Most Wisteria's will cost you from �£15-�£25 dependeing on size.
    If you go to your local Garden centres at this time of year, you will see them in flower. You can then choose which variety you like and you will know that it will flower. Most Wisteria's will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Preston Buttton

Nice Evergreen Shrub

If I could only have one shrub it would have to be a pierris, preferably variagated. Green (and creamy yellow) all winter, Lovely white (or pink) 'lilly of the valley' flowers in spring followed...
    If I could only have one shrub it would have to be a pierris, preferably variagated. Green (and creamy yellow) all winter, Lovely white (or pink) 'lilly of the valley' flowers in spring followed by dazzling red leaves gradually changing coluor over the early summer and if your really a second...
    If I could only have one shrub it would have to be a pierris, preferably variagated. Green (and creamy yellow) all winter, Lovely white (or pink) 'lilly of the valley' flowers in spring followed by dazzling red leaves gradually changing coluor...
    If I could only have one shrub it would have to be a pierris, preferably variagated. Green (and creamy yellow) all winter, Lovely white (or pink) 'lilly of the valley' flowers in spring followed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. davemachin

Pampass grass

If you cut it back now it will grow again over the summer and you will have to cut it again next spring. Is that what you wanted to hear or were you hoping for a more long term trim?
    If you cut it back now it will grow again over the summer and you will have to cut it again next spring. Is that what you wanted to hear or were you hoping for a more long term trim?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Preston Buttton

Flooded Garden Help ! ! !

Thanks for the explanation - sorry I misunderstood.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. juliendave

Trouble digging

Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it...
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it will hopefully look better by next year. Thanks again Julie X
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it will hopefully look better by next year. Thanks...
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bayleaf

Trachycarpus - To tease or not to tease?

Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled...
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled some of the finer roots, left fleshy ones alone. Hope the little blighter grows!
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled some of the finer roots, left fleshy ones alone. ...
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Richard Norman

Can somone advise on whether this hedge is dead or not please

From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was mine - I would take it out and restart - and perhaps consider different hedging plants to get what you...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was mine - I would take it out and restart - and perhaps...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS

Hydroponic trip

There is a hydroponics shop in Aberdeen called Canagrow. Pretty blatant but they seem to be within the law.
    There is a hydroponics shop in Aberdeen called Canagrow. Pretty blatant but they seem to be within the law.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. primrose

murraya paniculata

Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 ...
    Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rutaceae/Murraya_paniculata.html Also known as Murraya exotica,...
    Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. turl

Blood lillies

Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I...
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I put them all in 1 large shallow but wide planter,and coming up now. Can't wait for them to flower.
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I put them all in 1 large shallow but wide...
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. michaeld66

bay leaf

You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with just a a couple of leaves plus the tip leaves - gently peel it back from the main stem so you end up...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with just a a couple of leaves plus the tip leaves -...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Lynds77

rates of pay for gardener?

Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he created from a plain grass garden himself...he loves it so much we keep saying to him he's running out...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he created from a plain grass garden himself...he loves...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dee

Need help with some 'Words'

Chocolate vine sounds heavenly, is there such a thing as a caramel cup tree I wonder? Mayby a pizza plant? I think I could get into this grow your own food thing. :cool:
    Chocolate vine sounds heavenly, is there such a thing as a caramel cup tree I wonder? Mayby a pizza plant? I think I could get into this grow your own food thing. :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. LARGE GOONER

CLEMATIS ARMANDII SNOWDRIFT

From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they...
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they will come back.
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they will come back.
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice