General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. gks
    Agree x 3

Should supermarkets be banned from selling plants

I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course and is still going strong. I am just about decided to chuck out the Schefflera because after being...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course and is still going strong. I am just about decided...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Plantminded

Planning and Planting a Border - What Do You Do?

Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left nightmares in me. The garden was strange too. They had 3 rows of bed-lawn-bed like below. There were I...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left nightmares in me. The garden was strange too. They...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left...
    IMG_0519.JPG IMG_9503.JPG DSC01036.jpeg DSC01652.jpeg DSC01165.jpeg exsample.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. balthazar

How to cut very tough creeper on ground + brushcutter advice

I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works....
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works. A brush cutter normally has the metal blade - it's necessary for these robust and wiry stems. It's...
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works. A brush cutter normally has the metal blade - it's...
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works....
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NurseJayne

Garden drainage

You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to play etc, it often isn't worth doing too much to the grass, but if it's for planting, it's always...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to play etc, it often isn't worth doing too much to...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. eddybaby

My Jack Frost not happy! What happened?

@eddybaby - why are you rating the quality of your soil as poor?I have brunneras thriving in really quite deep shade in unimproved heavy clay. I also have them growing in quite dry dappled shade...
    @eddybaby - why are you rating the quality of your soil as poor?I have brunneras thriving in really quite deep shade in unimproved heavy clay. I also have them growing in quite dry dappled shade where the soil is much thinner - they are a bit less happy there because the soil often dries out...
    @eddybaby - why are you rating the quality of your soil as poor?I have brunneras thriving in really quite deep shade in unimproved heavy clay. I also have them growing in quite dry dappled shade where the soil is much thinner - they are a bit...
    @eddybaby - why are you rating the quality of your soil as poor?I have brunneras thriving in really quite deep shade in unimproved heavy clay. I also have them growing in quite dry dappled shade...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ViewAhead

"Distressed" garden ornaments

Update! :)My orbs have arrived. Impressive speed. :blue thumb: Not absolutely convinced they brighten the area as much as my lampshade-mirror concoction, but I quite like them. Strangely, I would really...
    Update! :)My orbs have arrived. Impressive speed. :blue thumb: Not absolutely convinced they brighten the area as much as my lampshade-mirror concoction, but I quite like them. Strangely, I would really baulk at paying £25 for a plant and yet for some shaped metal strips, it doesn't seem a problem. On...
    Update! :)My orbs have arrived. Impressive speed. :blue thumb: Not absolutely convinced they brighten the area as much as my lampshade-mirror concoction, but I quite like them. Strangely, I would really baulk at paying £25 for a plant and yet for some...
    Update! :)My orbs have arrived. Impressive speed. :blue thumb: Not absolutely convinced they brighten the area as much as my lampshade-mirror concoction, but I quite like them. Strangely, I would really...
    pond.jpg IMG_1065.jpeg IMG_1072.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nickoslesteros

Rain and wind destroyed my buddlea?

That's some superb advice. I'll know for next time in future. Whoops! Guess I will do as @Angie Jones (nut) said and cut back some of the floppy growth a little - which was going to be my next...
    That's some superb advice. I'll know for next time in future. Whoops! Guess I will do as @Angie Jones (nut) said and cut back some of the floppy growth a little - which was going to be my next question! Superb advice and help! Thank you
    That's some superb advice. I'll know for next time in future. Whoops! Guess I will do as @Angie Jones (nut) said and cut back some of the floppy growth a little - which was going to be my next question! Superb advice and help! Thank you
    That's some superb advice. I'll know for next time in future. Whoops! Guess I will do as @Angie Jones (nut) said and cut back some of the floppy growth a little - which was going to be my next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BB3

Sacrificial plants

I’m convinced that they just send out a siren call and then wet the appetite of whichever pest it is before it moves on to the main course aka your prized plants. And how do you know how much to...
    I’m convinced that they just send out a siren call and then wet the appetite of whichever pest it is before it moves on to the main course aka your prized plants. And how do you know how much to plant to ensure all your invited pests are catered for?
    I’m convinced that they just send out a siren call and then wet the appetite of whichever pest it is before it moves on to the main course aka your prized plants. And how do you know how much to plant to ensure all your invited pests are catered for?
    I’m convinced that they just send out a siren call and then wet the appetite of whichever pest it is before it moves on to the main course aka your prized plants. And how do you know how much to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Banana Man

Guess where I went today :D

Hi Babe from the land of warmth, oranges and sunshine. J and I are trying to grow old gracefully in our jungle ... well, less as we've had a lot cut down recently My best jungle feature is my...
    Hi Babe from the land of warmth, oranges and sunshine. J and I are trying to grow old gracefully in our jungle ... well, less as we've had a lot cut down recently My best jungle feature is my weeping Callistemons ...Your pup is adorable. We still have cats ... or they have us, Chere Khan...
    Hi Babe from the land of warmth, oranges and sunshine. J and I are trying to grow old gracefully in our jungle ... well, less as we've had a lot cut down recently My best jungle feature is my weeping Callistemons ...Your pup is adorable. ...
    Hi Babe from the land of warmth, oranges and sunshine. J and I are trying to grow old gracefully in our jungle ... well, less as we've had a lot cut down recently My best jungle feature is my...
    20240526_125656.jpg Callistemon to Gate 17 Apr 22(1).jpg Munch 20 Jun.jpg Van in Jak2 26 Mar 22(1).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Javidr

Another tree dying in my garden

We have "lost " a Ceanothus this year too. We think ours simply drowned though, it could be honey fungus as we have that in the area. The RHS advised me that HF can kill a plant one branch at a...
    We have "lost " a Ceanothus this year too. We think ours simply drowned though, it could be honey fungus as we have that in the area. The RHS advised me that HF can kill a plant one branch at a time so it can be hard to spot what's happening. Dig around the base of the tree / shrub look...
    We have "lost " a Ceanothus this year too. We think ours simply drowned though, it could be honey fungus as we have that in the area. The RHS advised me that HF can kill a plant one branch at a time so it can be hard to spot what's happening. ...
    We have "lost " a Ceanothus this year too. We think ours simply drowned though, it could be honey fungus as we have that in the area. The RHS advised me that HF can kill a plant one branch at a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BB3

What's more annoying?

We went out and culled one night a few weeks back, so our damage is not quite as bad. Still we have lost the top off a couple of plants, one of which was over 1m in height. I'm just hoping for...
    We went out and culled one night a few weeks back, so our damage is not quite as bad. Still we have lost the top off a couple of plants, one of which was over 1m in height. I'm just hoping for some dry weather and recovery we got last year on almost every plant!
    We went out and culled one night a few weeks back, so our damage is not quite as bad. Still we have lost the top off a couple of plants, one of which was over 1m in height. I'm just hoping for some dry weather and recovery we got last year on...
    We went out and culled one night a few weeks back, so our damage is not quite as bad. Still we have lost the top off a couple of plants, one of which was over 1m in height. I'm just hoping for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. eddybaby

Feeding the birds, rats & neighbours!

Just proves that if you provide, wildlife (including rats) will make use of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Pink678

How long do mahonia shrubs last - is mine dead?

Many thanks all! Good to know it is definitely time for it to go. I went and checked near the ground and it did confirm it doesn't have any green there. It is funny it went like this, as I did...
    Many thanks all! Good to know it is definitely time for it to go. I went and checked near the ground and it did confirm it doesn't have any green there. It is funny it went like this, as I did kind of expect it would just keep going, though pete mentioned it probably depends on the variety. Ah...
    Many thanks all! Good to know it is definitely time for it to go. I went and checked near the ground and it did confirm it doesn't have any green there. It is funny it went like this, as I did kind of expect it would just keep going, though pete...
    Many thanks all! Good to know it is definitely time for it to go. I went and checked near the ground and it did confirm it doesn't have any green there. It is funny it went like this, as I did...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Mattyp

Thoughts on Rhododendron leafy growth

Thank you both. I think I have a tendency to think that pruning is an annual must rather than a choice, a bit like my haircuts but not necessarily and obviously plant specific. I'll probably allow...
    Thank you both. I think I have a tendency to think that pruning is an annual must rather than a choice, a bit like my haircuts but not necessarily and obviously plant specific. I'll probably allow it to do it's thing and I do like them and seem to grow well here. Thanks again
    Thank you both. I think I have a tendency to think that pruning is an annual must rather than a choice, a bit like my haircuts but not necessarily and obviously plant specific. I'll probably allow it to do it's thing and I do like them and seem...
    Thank you both. I think I have a tendency to think that pruning is an annual must rather than a choice, a bit like my haircuts but not necessarily and obviously plant specific. I'll probably allow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mattyp

Plants bought in 9cm pots-pot on or plant out?

Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants...
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants battered by wind and endless rain may be less able to repel an invasion of munchers.
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants battered by wind and endless rain may be less able to...
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Meomye

Photinia Red Robin (looking unwell)

There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This...
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This article may give some clues though- How to Grow Photinia | BBC Gardeners World Magazine.
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This article may give some clues though- How to Grow Photinia...
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mattyp

Growing zinnia from seed-potting out

Sounds good, hoping to put mine out this weekend. I noticed monty Don had some on gardeners world last night and they looked quite leggy to me too. Mine look a bit squat if anything!
    Sounds good, hoping to put mine out this weekend. I noticed monty Don had some on gardeners world last night and they looked quite leggy to me too. Mine look a bit squat if anything!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. bluegeranium

Have I put too many bedding plants in container ?

As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will be trying hard to grow, and there may be very little compost left in the troughs - it'll be full of...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will be trying hard to grow, and there may be very...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. BenCotto

Patio Black Spot Remover

Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as...
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as well just pressure wash.
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as well just pressure wash.
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BB3

OK you bar stewards, you win but I'll be back - maybe

Thanks @ViewAhead . I'm sure you're right. I'll leave it in peace.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice