General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Pauline Adams

Seeds

Arwyn..glad your begonias are O.K...gives me some hope for my second batch. Wish me Luck!
    Arwyn..glad your begonias are O.K...gives me some hope for my second batch. Wish me Luck!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. wildman

A GAPPY PROBLEM

HI EVERYBODY THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS REGARDING MY QUESTION.I TAKE EVERYTHING ON BOARD AND OF COURSE WANT TO DO THE BEST THAT I CAN .THE ORIGINAL HEDGE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME...
    HI EVERYBODY THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS REGARDING MY QUESTION.I TAKE EVERYTHING ON BOARD AND OF COURSE WANT TO DO THE BEST THAT I CAN .THE ORIGINAL HEDGE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME VERY LEGGY AND WAS VERY TOP HEAVY CAUSING GAPS TO APPEAR .I WONT TAKE IT OUT BUT WILL FILL THE GAPS...
    HI EVERYBODY THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS REGARDING MY QUESTION.I TAKE EVERYTHING ON BOARD AND OF COURSE WANT TO DO THE BEST THAT I CAN .THE ORIGINAL HEDGE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME VERY LEGGY AND WAS VERY TOP HEAVY CAUSING GAPS TO...
    HI EVERYBODY THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS REGARDING MY QUESTION.I TAKE EVERYTHING ON BOARD AND OF COURSE WANT TO DO THE BEST THAT I CAN .THE ORIGINAL HEDGE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hunybunz

care of arum lilies in winter

The first year I grew one I thought I'd lost it over winter it disapeared into a disgusting brown mush. I decided to dig it up and there it was hidding six inches below the surface, it not only...
    The first year I grew one I thought I'd lost it over winter it disapeared into a disgusting brown mush. I decided to dig it up and there it was hidding six inches below the surface, it not only survived but moved house with me and was nearly 3 feet tall last summer.Clear up the mush and wait for...
    The first year I grew one I thought I'd lost it over winter it disapeared into a disgusting brown mush. I decided to dig it up and there it was hidding six inches below the surface, it not only survived but moved house with me and was nearly 3...
    The first year I grew one I thought I'd lost it over winter it disapeared into a disgusting brown mush. I decided to dig it up and there it was hidding six inches below the surface, it not only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. peterjrpowell1

USA Gardening Press

Have a look at davesgarden.com maybe someone there can help
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Murt

Gunnera Manicata

Not grown it myself Murt, wish I had the space. Just guessing but I think its propagated by division, so it should split OK pete
    Not grown it myself Murt, wish I had the space. Just guessing but I think its propagated by division, so it should split OK pete
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NEW AYRSHIRE

FARMLAND

I LIVE ON FARMLAND WHICH IS INVADED BY COWS AND SHEEP ON OCCASION. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PLANTS CAN I PLANT AND WHAT TO AVOID SO NOT TO HARM THE LIVESTOCK! IF...
    I LIVE ON FARMLAND WHICH IS INVADED BY COWS AND SHEEP ON OCCASION. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PLANTS CAN I PLANT AND WHAT TO AVOID SO NOT TO HARM THE LIVESTOCK! IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO STAY WITH NATIVE PLANTS SO NOT TO IMPOSE ON THE SURROUNDING AREA.
    I LIVE ON FARMLAND WHICH IS INVADED BY COWS AND SHEEP ON OCCASION. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PLANTS CAN I PLANT AND WHAT TO AVOID SO NOT TO HARM THE LIVESTOCK! IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO STAY WITH NATIVE PLANTS SO...
    I LIVE ON FARMLAND WHICH IS INVADED BY COWS AND SHEEP ON OCCASION. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PLANTS CAN I PLANT AND WHAT TO AVOID SO NOT TO HARM THE LIVESTOCK! IF...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Tim and Sophie

Plum choice

Just planning a new garden and thinking about choice of plum trees. We spent a lovely holiday in FRance recently near Nancy where they had lots of Mirabelles, and we loved the jam!Does anyone...
    Just planning a new garden and thinking about choice of plum trees. We spent a lovely holiday in FRance recently near Nancy where they had lots of Mirabelles, and we loved the jam!Does anyone have any experience of these? Are they good croppers? Easy to grow? etc etcWe're keen but not...
    Just planning a new garden and thinking about choice of plum trees. We spent a lovely holiday in FRance recently near Nancy where they had lots of Mirabelles, and we loved the jam!Does anyone have any experience of these? Are they good...
    Just planning a new garden and thinking about choice of plum trees. We spent a lovely holiday in FRance recently near Nancy where they had lots of Mirabelles, and we loved the jam!Does anyone...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dougy

Conifer height

There is currently no legal height. The government is looking at new legislation but it is taking a long time to finalise.
    There is currently no legal height. The government is looking at new legislation but it is taking a long time to finalise.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. charlottehaigh

Female gardeners wanted for Top Sante!

I'm looking for a female gardener, aged 25-40, who's lost weight because of her gardening hobby. You'd need to be able to supply before and after pics, and be happy to have a telephone interview...
    I'm looking for a female gardener, aged 25-40, who's lost weight because of her gardening hobby. You'd need to be able to supply before and after pics, and be happy to have a telephone interview and come to a shoot in London (travel costs covered). If you're interested, please email me:Thanks!
    I'm looking for a female gardener, aged 25-40, who's lost weight because of her gardening hobby. You'd need to be able to supply before and after pics, and be happy to have a telephone interview and come to a shoot in London (travel costs...
    I'm looking for a female gardener, aged 25-40, who's lost weight because of her gardening hobby. You'd need to be able to supply before and after pics, and be happy to have a telephone interview...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. poppy

CD Disc

Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use...
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use will be made
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use will be made
    Thanks for your advice for my cd since I love birds in my garden and we do get a lot I shall not be using them that way, so I will take them along to the local nusery school where Im sure good use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. foxtrot

Soil type in Wiltshire

Thank you, Wildman, that sounds very positive!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mimi

when to cut Lleylandii

Ladybird, I think I will do that nearer the summer, thanks for the advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Henrietta

First Garden, Second Summer

More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow some Leeks,for winter picking. Perhaps a few Onion sets,Garlic,shallots,bit of parsley,...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow some Leeks,for winter picking. Perhaps a few Onion...
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wildman

Fuschia pruning problem

Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it...
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it helps control infestation of thrips etc.
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it helps control infestation of thrips etc.
    Agree with Simon - the hardy bush fuschias can be effectively cut to any shape you like. Sometimes it's a good idea though to cut them down to ground level every few years as I hav efound it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. roadrunner

TRELLIS advice

Some favorites: climbing roses, clematis viticella, climbing hydrangea, ormamental vine. "The tree and shrub expert" by DG Hessayon has a good list of climbers and advice on pruning.
    Some favorites: climbing roses, clematis viticella, climbing hydrangea, ormamental vine. "The tree and shrub expert" by DG Hessayon has a good list of climbers and advice on pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. db

Trimmming Poplars

Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts,...
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts, someone who has insurance.
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts, someone who has insurance.
    Only you know if you can tackle something like this. Have you done anything like it before and have you got anybody who can give you a hand. If your not confident then call in the experts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ian Tresman

Fence with a view, privacy and security?

Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays...
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays and make sure your posts are no less than 4'' x 4'' size timber and atleast 2 ft in the ground.
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays and make sure your posts are no less than 4'' x...
    Yes, I agree. Consider going for a 2 metre high fence with 6 inch tall gravelboards, 4 ft feather boards or panels and 2 ft trellis (high density approx 3'' x 3'' squares). Go for 6 ft length bays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. spudbagpuss

Pruning

One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I wouldn't prune it unless you really have to, as you will lose the flowering shoots. Hope this helps...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I wouldn't prune it unless you really have to, as...
    One of the problems with common names is that some plants have a lot of them!! I am assuming your 'apple blossom tree' is not an apple but one of the ornamental Japanese cherries, in which case I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mimi

Need advice please

Thanks for all your tips,I think I'll give it a few more weeks then go down to the garden centre with my wish list from you guys.Thanks again
    Thanks for all your tips,I think I'll give it a few more weeks then go down to the garden centre with my wish list from you guys.Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Andrew_Swansea

Seedling Advice Please

You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have to repot them and then the other problem is they will cling and twine around any supports or...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have to repot them and then the other problem is they...
    You won't be able to put the nasturtiums out until maybe late april depending on your area and if its a sheltered position...slightest frost turns them into a mushy green messso you will have...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice