General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Dave470

Water butt

I add a few drops of biodegradable washing up liquid, this reduces the surface tension and the larvae cannot hang from the surface as they breath.
    I add a few drops of biodegradable washing up liquid, this reduces the surface tension and the larvae cannot hang from the surface as they breath.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. InTheMoors

Cucumber Query

Thanks everyone. I've certainly learned something this week!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Daniel Harden

Tree looks infected (Need Advice)

We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar...
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar to your picture. It does no harm and probably benefits the tree with some free fertiliser.
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar to your picture. It does no harm and probably...
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. On the Levels
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. R1ch4rd

Tree Selection Advice

If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any plant you choose. The mix it's in will have to be suitable too - a good soil based one, or just soil,...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any plant you choose. The mix it's in will have to be...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Goblinquartz

Virginia creeper looking dead

I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be different, but then you'd have to dig it out of the existing site for replanting and that could be...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be different, but then you'd have to dig it out of the...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Andrew Kennedy

RUNNER BEANS - Slugs??

My runner beans are being decimated. Hardly any plants left from 10 plants put out in the ground a few days ago.
    My runner beans are being decimated. Hardly any plants left from 10 plants put out in the ground a few days ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BB3
    Like x 4

Plants that used to be naff

Good way of putting it. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. RoisinMcGuire

Can someone enlighten me about bulbs? (Warning: Spring Post!)

You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots which you can then protect from the worst weather to prevent waterlogging, and if they're some of...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots which you can then protect from the worst weather...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Robert Bowen

Blind chinese witch hazel

I am looking for ideas on how to “reactivate “ my hammamelis. The lead shoot has forked in two and each fork has gone blind so its not growing upwards at all.Its a fairly young plant with two...
    I am looking for ideas on how to “reactivate “ my hammamelis. The lead shoot has forked in two and each fork has gone blind so its not growing upwards at all.Its a fairly young plant with two lower branches which are growing but i need upward growth to get the balance right. I am tempted to cut...
    I am looking for ideas on how to “reactivate “ my hammamelis. The lead shoot has forked in two and each fork has gone blind so its not growing upwards at all.Its a fairly young plant with two lower branches which are growing but i need upward...
    I am looking for ideas on how to “reactivate “ my hammamelis. The lead shoot has forked in two and each fork has gone blind so its not growing upwards at all.Its a fairly young plant with two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

Climber advice

Hi @DaifraeFife I’ve got 4 clematis growing in pots on my patio and all are doing really well. I took advice from a clematis nursery, they said to plant in a large pot, and to water regularly...
    Hi @DaifraeFife I’ve got 4 clematis growing in pots on my patio and all are doing really well. I took advice from a clematis nursery, they said to plant in a large pot, and to water regularly and feed weekly in the growing season and it’s worked for mine.I’ve got Koreana Amber in the front...
    Hi @DaifraeFife I’ve got 4 clematis growing in pots on my patio and all are doing really well. I took advice from a clematis nursery, they said to plant in a large pot, and to water regularly and feed weekly in the growing season and it’s...
    Hi @DaifraeFife I’ve got 4 clematis growing in pots on my patio and all are doing really well. I took advice from a clematis nursery, they said to plant in a large pot, and to water regularly...
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. shiney

What's Looking Good in July 2024

Mesembryanthemums - surplus plants that we dumped out of the way!Runner Bean 'Painted Lady'Patio Rose
    Mesembryanthemums - surplus plants that we dumped out of the way!Runner Bean 'Painted Lady'Patio Rose
    20240630_135140.jpg 20240630_135255.jpg 20240630_135407.jpg 20240630_135606.jpg 20240630_135626.jpg 20240630_135659.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Black Dog
    Like x 5

Anyone else adopting abused plants on sale?

My neighbours are lovely people, but they're not great at looking after plants so they're forever bringing things over to me to have. She bought me a sad rhododendron this weekend, which I assume...
    My neighbours are lovely people, but they're not great at looking after plants so they're forever bringing things over to me to have. She bought me a sad rhododendron this weekend, which I assume she had put in normal compost. I did offer her some ericaceous as I had a bag left over from my...
    My neighbours are lovely people, but they're not great at looking after plants so they're forever bringing things over to me to have. She bought me a sad rhododendron this weekend, which I assume she had put in normal compost. I did offer her...
    My neighbours are lovely people, but they're not great at looking after plants so they're forever bringing things over to me to have. She bought me a sad rhododendron this weekend, which I assume...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Murphy99

Will hedge grow back?

How about Griselinia? It's a light green so will brighten your garden and is also available variegated. It grows fast so will need trimming more often.griselinia hedge images - Search Images...
    How about Griselinia? It's a light green so will brighten your garden and is also available variegated. It grows fast so will need trimming more often.griselinia hedge images - Search Images (bing.com)
    How about Griselinia? It's a light green so will brighten your garden and is also available variegated. It grows fast so will need trimming more often.griselinia hedge images - Search Images (bing.com)
    How about Griselinia? It's a light green so will brighten your garden and is also available variegated. It grows fast so will need trimming more often.griselinia hedge images - Search Images...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Goldenlily26

Summer Pruning Apple Trees.

They are both spur bearers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. noisette47

Exotic Seed Emporium

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about?:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. FiestaRed

Seeds from Poppy pods

Thanks for taking the photo, I have a far better idea now. Really appreciate the help.
    Thanks for taking the photo, I have a far better idea now. Really appreciate the help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. CarolineL

Tetrapanax papyrifer -Rex?

Pups, catch them all ! Some of them come up in really hard to excavate places. Good roots on some, others not so much. :rolleyespink:
    Pups, catch them all ! Some of them come up in really hard to excavate places. Good roots on some, others not so much. :rolleyespink:
    T_rexSm.jpg 20240607_142219.jpg 20240607_142240.jpg 20240607_142259.jpg 20240607_142309.jpg 20240607_142318.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. TheMadHedger

Cyclamen - why are the pink flowers turning white?

@Escarpment, thanks but I don't think I will ever understand terms like "white balance". Weirdly, my phone camera takes better flower colours than my camera. I just took this picture of these...
    @Escarpment, thanks but I don't think I will ever understand terms like "white balance". Weirdly, my phone camera takes better flower colours than my camera. I just took this picture of these same Cyclamen, after dark, and the colours are a bit better. Also a photograph of some Nasturtiums...
    @Escarpment, thanks but I don't think I will ever understand terms like "white balance". Weirdly, my phone camera takes better flower colours than my camera. I just took this picture of these same Cyclamen, after dark, and the colours are a...
    @Escarpment, thanks but I don't think I will ever understand terms like "white balance". Weirdly, my phone camera takes better flower colours than my camera. I just took this picture of these...
    Cyclamen 4 Feb 08.jpg Cyclamen 10 Feb 09.JPG A0A79FCA-E744-426D-B738-D18A77BE8657.jpeg FC63BED7-69E3-47FE-BCF7-E2558ADDC9D0.jpeg 2024-07-19_15-02-33.jpg 2024-07-19_15-04-08.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JLW93

Plant suggestions please!

Here's some of my convolvulus ...
    64847969-5BF7-4090-86C3-C2F1BDA1200F.jpeg DA4EFEEA-ED72-45C0-B688-5295EC74C303.jpeg IMG_1213.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice