General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. eddybaby

Yellow leaves on my Winter Beauty Clematis....should I be concerned?

It's probably hungry and may be thirsty, altho this variety doesn't like to be too wet. It's also tender so, if you can't plant it in the ground in a sheltered spot, you'll need to find a much...
    It's probably hungry and may be thirsty, altho this variety doesn't like to be too wet. It's also tender so, if you can't plant it in the ground in a sheltered spot, you'll need to find a much bigger container so its roots can spread and feed the plant which, when happy, grows to between 3 and...
    It's probably hungry and may be thirsty, altho this variety doesn't like to be too wet. It's also tender so, if you can't plant it in the ground in a sheltered spot, you'll need to find a much bigger container so its roots can spread and feed...
    It's probably hungry and may be thirsty, altho this variety doesn't like to be too wet. It's also tender so, if you can't plant it in the ground in a sheltered spot, you'll need to find a much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BB3

Abelia grandiflora. Can I move it?

Thanks @fairygirl . It's amazing how much ground space ivy takes up - so slowly that you don't realise it. I'm left with a wide strip between mature plants and the trellis fence. Neighbours intend...
    Thanks @fairygirl . It's amazing how much ground space ivy takes up - so slowly that you don't realise it. I'm left with a wide strip between mature plants and the trellis fence. Neighbours intend to plant a rambling rose. I hope I've persuaded them not to get a rampant rector or the new bed...
    Thanks @fairygirl . It's amazing how much ground space ivy takes up - so slowly that you don't realise it. I'm left with a wide strip between mature plants and the trellis fence. Neighbours intend to plant a rambling rose. I hope I've persuaded...
    Thanks @fairygirl . It's amazing how much ground space ivy takes up - so slowly that you don't realise it. I'm left with a wide strip between mature plants and the trellis fence. Neighbours intend...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BB3

What plants do you dislike but tolerate for pollinators?

No idea. I never try.
    No idea. I never try.
    No idea. I never try.
    No idea. I never try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. He who dares

Propagation by cuttings

Thanks. I'll take a look. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. BrennaBee

Can a Cotinus purple smoke bush grow in Sun with partial shade ?

Thanks, useful info, will definitely think carefully then where it should go !
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 12

Our New Garden :)

August 2024 photos
    August 2024 photos
    August 2024 photos
    August 2024 photos
    151106_1098794-1_IMG_14_0000.jpeg IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7231.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7233.JPG IMG_7220.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. AJ81

Ceanothus - Put it out of its misery?

Thanks for your responses all. I might start cutting back and see if what i'm left with is worth saving, perhaps it won't be. When in bloom is was very very nice and tbh, even when not, its form...
    Thanks for your responses all. I might start cutting back and see if what i'm left with is worth saving, perhaps it won't be. When in bloom is was very very nice and tbh, even when not, its form made it a bit of a favourite. It just seems a bit sad now.
    Thanks for your responses all. I might start cutting back and see if what i'm left with is worth saving, perhaps it won't be. When in bloom is was very very nice and tbh, even when not, its form made it a bit of a favourite. It just seems a bit...
    Thanks for your responses all. I might start cutting back and see if what i'm left with is worth saving, perhaps it won't be. When in bloom is was very very nice and tbh, even when not, its form...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. David G

Verticillium Wilt

For info I've uploaded a photo of a section of rudbeckia stem that died from Verticillium wilt.
    For info I've uploaded a photo of a section of rudbeckia stem that died from Verticillium wilt.
    PXL_20240810_075804325~2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. GardenDisaster

How can I make August more exciting?

Ha! Thank you for these recommendations. I'll have a look now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. BB3

What type of rose is this?

No, but it’s very pretty. :)Here’s an interesting article about Woolworths and plants.'Horti' - a history of the Woolworth Garden DeptOne in three daffodils and tulips in British gardens today...
    No, but it’s very pretty. :)Here’s an interesting article about Woolworths and plants.'Horti' - a history of the Woolworth Garden DeptOne in three daffodils and tulips in British gardens today came from a Woolworths shop? Amazing.
    No, but it’s very pretty. :)Here’s an interesting article about Woolworths and plants.'Horti' - a history of the Woolworth Garden DeptOne in three daffodils and tulips in British gardens today came from a Woolworths shop? Amazing.
    No, but it’s very pretty. :)Here’s an interesting article about Woolworths and plants.'Horti' - a history of the Woolworth Garden DeptOne in three daffodils and tulips in British gardens today...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BB3

Baked dry clay. Is there a plant I haven't thought of?

Vinca does tooooo well. The variegated one is well-behaved and welcome. Not keen on most phlox either - but the slugs are extremely partial to them. Haven't tried corncockles. Catananche were...
    Vinca does tooooo well. The variegated one is well-behaved and welcome. Not keen on most phlox either - but the slugs are extremely partial to them. Haven't tried corncockles. Catananche were lovely this year, but it's a bit of a wait for them to flower from seed. I hope they survive until...
    Vinca does tooooo well. The variegated one is well-behaved and welcome. Not keen on most phlox either - but the slugs are extremely partial to them. Haven't tried corncockles. Catananche were lovely this year, but it's a bit of a wait for them...
    Vinca does tooooo well. The variegated one is well-behaved and welcome. Not keen on most phlox either - but the slugs are extremely partial to them. Haven't tried corncockles. Catananche were...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Escarpment

ID Please

Ah - that's good. Hopefully you'll still get a flower or three this year I grew it [the blue one] donkey's years ago, and when I discovered there was a white variety, only recently, I got some....
    Ah - that's good. Hopefully you'll still get a flower or three this year I grew it [the blue one] donkey's years ago, and when I discovered there was a white variety, only recently, I got some. It's been great and the bees just love it. I don't think it'll seed successfully for me here, but I...
    Ah - that's good. Hopefully you'll still get a flower or three this year I grew it [the blue one] donkey's years ago, and when I discovered there was a white variety, only recently, I got some. It's been great and the bees just love it. I...
    Ah - that's good. Hopefully you'll still get a flower or three this year I grew it [the blue one] donkey's years ago, and when I discovered there was a white variety, only recently, I got some....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BB3

Tough as old boots plants - nominations ( no prizes)

I can never believe that I actually brought it with me from my last garden (I hadn't planted it there). I thought it would make a nice, well behaved clump in a corner. How wrong was I. Even in the...
    I can never believe that I actually brought it with me from my last garden (I hadn't planted it there). I thought it would make a nice, well behaved clump in a corner. How wrong was I. Even in the coldest, darkest Winter the berries remain untouched by the birds.
    I can never believe that I actually brought it with me from my last garden (I hadn't planted it there). I thought it would make a nice, well behaved clump in a corner. How wrong was I. Even in the coldest, darkest Winter the berries remain...
    I can never believe that I actually brought it with me from my last garden (I hadn't planted it there). I thought it would make a nice, well behaved clump in a corner. How wrong was I. Even in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Michael Hewett

Hepatica

Try repotting in to a leafmould rich gritty compost. Water infrequently and leave in a relatively light area not in strong sunlight. This may kill, or cure it.
    Try repotting in to a leafmould rich gritty compost. Water infrequently and leave in a relatively light area not in strong sunlight. This may kill, or cure it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK

Samphire - anyone grown any?

Sea asparagus , often in pasta where we previously lived.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sunshinesouth

Recommendations for Evergreen Trees/Shrubs for Privacy in a Small Garden

The strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, is evergreen with bright shiny leaves and sprays of white flowers which develop into fruits like strawberries, popular with blackbirds. It doesn’t usually need...
    The strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, is evergreen with bright shiny leaves and sprays of white flowers which develop into fruits like strawberries, popular with blackbirds. It doesn’t usually need pruning but can be shaped and maintained to whatever height you prefer.
    The strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, is evergreen with bright shiny leaves and sprays of white flowers which develop into fruits like strawberries, popular with blackbirds. It doesn’t usually need pruning but can be shaped and maintained to...
    The strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, is evergreen with bright shiny leaves and sprays of white flowers which develop into fruits like strawberries, popular with blackbirds. It doesn’t usually need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. miraflores

Winter shrub/bush/tree for front garden.

Lonicera fragrans. Winter flowering honeysuckle. Non climbing shrub, not evergreen, flowers Dec/ March depending on location. Corylopsis spicata. Witchazel. Sarcocca.
    Lonicera fragrans. Winter flowering honeysuckle. Non climbing shrub, not evergreen, flowers Dec/ March depending on location. Corylopsis spicata. Witchazel. Sarcocca.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Palustris

Gaillardia aristata

Is this reliably perennial? Not something I have ever grown, but neighbour has a lovely specimen so I wondered if it was worth giving the plant a try.
    Is this reliably perennial? Not something I have ever grown, but neighbour has a lovely specimen so I wondered if it was worth giving the plant a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Leafylearner

Cutting acer, guidance needed.

It shouldn't kill it if done at the right time, I suppose disease getting in can always be possible, its a risk you always take when cutting any tree back.Just use a clean saw and leave a clean...
    It shouldn't kill it if done at the right time, I suppose disease getting in can always be possible, its a risk you always take when cutting any tree back.Just use a clean saw and leave a clean non jagged finish to the cut, be careful not to rip the bark,so do a rough cut further up to take...
    It shouldn't kill it if done at the right time, I suppose disease getting in can always be possible, its a risk you always take when cutting any tree back.Just use a clean saw and leave a clean non jagged finish to the cut, be careful not to...
    It shouldn't kill it if done at the right time, I suppose disease getting in can always be possible, its a risk you always take when cutting any tree back.Just use a clean saw and leave a clean...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Thevictorian

Sambucus golden lace

I looked up S. nigra aurea because I didn't think it should have red berries, it should just be a gold version of our native elder, so a purple black berry? However looking online it's got me more...
    I looked up S. nigra aurea because I didn't think it should have red berries, it should just be a gold version of our native elder, so a purple black berry? However looking online it's got me more confused as half the pictures again look like they show two species. The nigra aurea should have...
    I looked up S. nigra aurea because I didn't think it should have red berries, it should just be a gold version of our native elder, so a purple black berry? However looking online it's got me more confused as half the pictures again look like...
    I looked up S. nigra aurea because I didn't think it should have red berries, it should just be a gold version of our native elder, so a purple black berry? However looking online it's got me more...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice