General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Meomye

Cutting back Lavender

It always depends on the area where we live, but being here in the south, I would always cut the lavender after winter to protect the wood.
    It always depends on the area where we live, but being here in the south, I would always cut the lavender after winter to protect the wood.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. tommyrot

Cat Enjoys Munching My Grass Plants

Our cat used to eat the lawn - possibly certain weeds in it. Recently the neighbour's small dog does the same on our lawn, but I don't know much about dogs. Mind you our cat liked to chew my hair...
    Our cat used to eat the lawn - possibly certain weeds in it. Recently the neighbour's small dog does the same on our lawn, but I don't know much about dogs. Mind you our cat liked to chew my hair and tinsel too.
    Our cat used to eat the lawn - possibly certain weeds in it. Recently the neighbour's small dog does the same on our lawn, but I don't know much about dogs. Mind you our cat liked to chew my hair and tinsel too.
    Our cat used to eat the lawn - possibly certain weeds in it. Recently the neighbour's small dog does the same on our lawn, but I don't know much about dogs. Mind you our cat liked to chew my hair...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Greenfield81

Front border evergreen ground cover

I think, but photo is not very clear, that the plants at the front of the bed may be first/second year hebe. It may be difficult to prune these as 'ground cover'; rather more likely to become a...
    I think, but photo is not very clear, that the plants at the front of the bed may be first/second year hebe. It may be difficult to prune these as 'ground cover'; rather more likely to become a hedge 500mm or more tall.
    I think, but photo is not very clear, that the plants at the front of the bed may be first/second year hebe. It may be difficult to prune these as 'ground cover'; rather more likely to become a hedge 500mm or more tall.
    I think, but photo is not very clear, that the plants at the front of the bed may be first/second year hebe. It may be difficult to prune these as 'ground cover'; rather more likely to become a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. CarolineL

Alstroemeria varieties

Thank you - the summer series looks very useful. I don't want the dwarf Inca type ones, as they need containers and a bit of protection. These appear to be hardier and mostly about .7 m. Though I...
    Thank you - the summer series looks very useful. I don't want the dwarf Inca type ones, as they need containers and a bit of protection. These appear to be hardier and mostly about .7 m. Though I do wonder what that red one I had was called - it was about 1m and robust.
    Thank you - the summer series looks very useful. I don't want the dwarf Inca type ones, as they need containers and a bit of protection. These appear to be hardier and mostly about .7 m. Though I do wonder what that red one I had was called - it...
    Thank you - the summer series looks very useful. I don't want the dwarf Inca type ones, as they need containers and a bit of protection. These appear to be hardier and mostly about .7 m. Though I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Engelbert

Growing comfrey for wildlife (bees) and fertiliser (tea). Several questions...

Bocking 14 as said is sterile so you need to propagate it by root cuttings or dividing existing clumps
    Bocking 14 as said is sterile so you need to propagate it by root cuttings or dividing existing clumps
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. silexa

Wisteria Alba issues

It kind of looks like its going into autumn leaf fall early.Has it been fed and watered well all summer.
    It kind of looks like its going into autumn leaf fall early.Has it been fed and watered well all summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Retired
    Like x 3

Rotavating with Howard Bulldog.

Hi,Thanks @CarolineL I need more practice making videos being very much a novice; it took quite a learning curve to record my violin playing to my Tascam Pocket Studio then learning how to save...
    Hi,Thanks @CarolineL I need more practice making videos being very much a novice; it took quite a learning curve to record my violin playing to my Tascam Pocket Studio then learning how to save and export it to my PC then the fun started; I had to use "Audacity" to edit it removing sections...
    Hi,Thanks @CarolineL I need more practice making videos being very much a novice; it took quite a learning curve to record my violin playing to my Tascam Pocket Studio then learning how to save and export it to my PC then the fun started; I...
    Hi,Thanks @CarolineL I need more practice making videos being very much a novice; it took quite a learning curve to record my violin playing to my Tascam Pocket Studio then learning how to save...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. trogre

Basket Compost

If those pictures are recent then you have nothing to do differently. Some might plant less plants in the space and feed them more, but thats a personal decision. If you have suitable space, then...
    If those pictures are recent then you have nothing to do differently. Some might plant less plants in the space and feed them more, but thats a personal decision. If you have suitable space, then it might be worth taking cuttings to overwinter although not cost-effective if extra heat is...
    If those pictures are recent then you have nothing to do differently. Some might plant less plants in the space and feed them more, but thats a personal decision. If you have suitable space, then it might be worth taking cuttings to overwinter...
    If those pictures are recent then you have nothing to do differently. Some might plant less plants in the space and feed them more, but thats a personal decision. If you have suitable space, then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martinlest

Is my hedge dying??

I'll take a look. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl

What's looking Good In August 2024

Some shots I took in Sheffield Botanical Gardens last week.Sparrmannia africana (African Hemp)Lysimachia clethroidesRudbeckia 'Herbstonne'Clerodendrum trichotomum (Harlequin...
    Some shots I took in Sheffield Botanical Gardens last week.Sparrmannia africana (African Hemp)Lysimachia clethroidesRudbeckia 'Herbstonne'Clerodendrum trichotomum (Harlequin Glorybower)EchinaceaInulaHelenium (with visitor)
    Some shots I took in Sheffield Botanical Gardens last week.Sparrmannia africana (African Hemp)Lysimachia clethroidesRudbeckia 'Herbstonne'Clerodendrum trichotomum (Harlequin Glorybower)EchinaceaInula...
    Some shots I took in Sheffield Botanical Gardens last week.Sparrmannia africana (African Hemp)Lysimachia clethroidesRudbeckia 'Herbstonne'Clerodendrum trichotomum (Harlequin...
    20240718_083006.jpg P1350830.JPG DSC01566.jpeg DSC01567.jpeg DSC01574.jpeg DSC01577.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Mattyp

When do leaves become leaf mould

I find the quickest way to get them incorporated into the soil is to leave the worms to it. They drag the down where they will add some benefit. The rest get put aside for leaf mould but I don't...
    I find the quickest way to get them incorporated into the soil is to leave the worms to it. They drag the down where they will add some benefit. The rest get put aside for leaf mould but I don't use an open heap because they seem to attract weed seeds and it's far less of a problem if you sack...
    I find the quickest way to get them incorporated into the soil is to leave the worms to it. They drag the down where they will add some benefit. The rest get put aside for leaf mould but I don't use an open heap because they seem to attract weed...
    I find the quickest way to get them incorporated into the soil is to leave the worms to it. They drag the down where they will add some benefit. The rest get put aside for leaf mould but I don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. EdC

Hedge for narrow strip

I've always had to overwinter rosemary undercover as it can't cope here well enough, but the way things are changing, climate wise, that might become easier in future. The more upright varieties...
    I've always had to overwinter rosemary undercover as it can't cope here well enough, but the way things are changing, climate wise, that might become easier in future. The more upright varieties might be ok in the OP's site and location. I think the site will need some good prep, regardless of...
    I've always had to overwinter rosemary undercover as it can't cope here well enough, but the way things are changing, climate wise, that might become easier in future. The more upright varieties might be ok in the OP's site and location. I...
    I've always had to overwinter rosemary undercover as it can't cope here well enough, but the way things are changing, climate wise, that might become easier in future. The more upright varieties...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DaveyB

What would you plant to screen trellis?

My messy, scrappy Henryi was a lovely one up my tall birdfeeder. Planted as an afterthought on the gravel in the drainage sump hole I dug, it quickly found it's roots into the heavy clay soil...
    My messy, scrappy Henryi was a lovely one up my tall birdfeeder. Planted as an afterthought on the gravel in the drainage sump hole I dug, it quickly found it's roots into the heavy clay soil under the lawn and climbed the pole in the first summer.Much loved by the bees and birds, sparrows in...
    My messy, scrappy Henryi was a lovely one up my tall birdfeeder. Planted as an afterthought on the gravel in the drainage sump hole I dug, it quickly found it's roots into the heavy clay soil under the lawn and climbed the pole in the first...
    My messy, scrappy Henryi was a lovely one up my tall birdfeeder. Planted as an afterthought on the gravel in the drainage sump hole I dug, it quickly found it's roots into the heavy clay soil...
    IMG_20240820_161937.jpg IMG_20240827_111722.jpg IMG_20240827_111740.jpg IMG_20240901_173744.jpg IMG_20240901_173807.jpg IMG_20240904_140259.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Loofah

Wall support wires

The stranded wire all reads as being strong but I'm wondering what guage to go for. I think I might opt for 1/16 (1.6mm ish) and see if it feels strong enough. I might also cheap out a bit and...
    The stranded wire all reads as being strong but I'm wondering what guage to go for. I think I might opt for 1/16 (1.6mm ish) and see if it feels strong enough. I might also cheap out a bit and go for simple crimps over the gripples!
    The stranded wire all reads as being strong but I'm wondering what guage to go for. I think I might opt for 1/16 (1.6mm ish) and see if it feels strong enough. I might also cheap out a bit and go for simple crimps over the gripples!
    The stranded wire all reads as being strong but I'm wondering what guage to go for. I think I might opt for 1/16 (1.6mm ish) and see if it feels strong enough. I might also cheap out a bit and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TomatoLover91

Autumn/Winter direct ground sow vegetables

@TomatoLover91 As you neglect to put your approximate location in your profile, its difficult to answer your query. You say 'no covers' ;that limits your scope considerably ; as even established...
    @TomatoLover91 As you neglect to put your approximate location in your profile, its difficult to answer your query. You say 'no covers' ;that limits your scope considerably ; as even established transplants will need protection from pigeons , and butterflies which have appeared in the last few...
    @TomatoLover91 As you neglect to put your approximate location in your profile, its difficult to answer your query. You say 'no covers' ;that limits your scope considerably ; as even established transplants will need protection from pigeons ,...
    @TomatoLover91 As you neglect to put your approximate location in your profile, its difficult to answer your query. You say 'no covers' ;that limits your scope considerably ; as even established...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. southerner

Dodgy Hydrangea foliage.

They don't need as much food as you've been giving it, even in a container. The important thing is the content and structure of the soil mix, and if you add more organic matter over winter into...
    They don't need as much food as you've been giving it, even in a container. The important thing is the content and structure of the soil mix, and if you add more organic matter over winter into spring, that should help, but some of the composts are poor, and either don't retain moisture well or...
    They don't need as much food as you've been giving it, even in a container. The important thing is the content and structure of the soil mix, and if you add more organic matter over winter into spring, that should help, but some of the composts...
    They don't need as much food as you've been giving it, even in a container. The important thing is the content and structure of the soil mix, and if you add more organic matter over winter into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Eastlondon

Cordyline australis

Ah yes, put your keys in the fruit bowl and draw lots......... I got a Mk2 cortina!:)
    Ah yes, put your keys in the fruit bowl and draw lots......... I got a Mk2 cortina!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. RogPJ

How can I control a neighbour’s hedge?

Any Photos would help.How high and wide is it now?Whose hedge is it?...... May seem a stupid question but accepting that a neighbour says that a boundary structure whatever it maybe belongs to...
    Any Photos would help.How high and wide is it now?Whose hedge is it?...... May seem a stupid question but accepting that a neighbour says that a boundary structure whatever it maybe belongs to them, and you can't touch it may be incorrect.As a very general rule, standing at the back door...
    Any Photos would help.How high and wide is it now?Whose hedge is it?...... May seem a stupid question but accepting that a neighbour says that a boundary structure whatever it maybe belongs to them, and you can't touch it may be...
    Any Photos would help.How high and wide is it now?Whose hedge is it?...... May seem a stupid question but accepting that a neighbour says that a boundary structure whatever it maybe belongs to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mattyp

Help with gangly? Acer

I think with conventional practice for angled cuts are on plants with thicker stems and larger buds. The idea being that you angle the cut so that any water drains away from the bud to prevent...
    I think with conventional practice for angled cuts are on plants with thicker stems and larger buds. The idea being that you angle the cut so that any water drains away from the bud to prevent rotting. If you are cutting a thin branch such as the ones I showed in the second picture, I don't...
    I think with conventional practice for angled cuts are on plants with thicker stems and larger buds. The idea being that you angle the cut so that any water drains away from the bud to prevent rotting. If you are cutting a thin branch such as...
    I think with conventional practice for angled cuts are on plants with thicker stems and larger buds. The idea being that you angle the cut so that any water drains away from the bud to prevent...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. R1ch4rd

Bamboo - Should I be worried?

I have no idea what sort of bamboo ours was (is). It came from a large house in north Wales in the 1970s, where we used to go for training. Hubby was wondering around the grounds and thought he...
    I have no idea what sort of bamboo ours was (is). It came from a large house in north Wales in the 1970s, where we used to go for training. Hubby was wondering around the grounds and thought he would like some. He must have used some canteen cutlery to dig up a bit as his only other equipment...
    I have no idea what sort of bamboo ours was (is). It came from a large house in north Wales in the 1970s, where we used to go for training. Hubby was wondering around the grounds and thought he would like some. He must have used some canteen...
    I have no idea what sort of bamboo ours was (is). It came from a large house in north Wales in the 1970s, where we used to go for training. Hubby was wondering around the grounds and thought he...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice