General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Clive

Moss

If you pile it up in a corner somewhere the birds will take a lot of it for nest building in spring.
    If you pile it up in a corner somewhere the birds will take a lot of it for nest building in spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. New London Gardener

Another Cat Question

I would clean the faeces away, and keep it clear for a while before planting produce in that place. The fluffy substance is probably a bacteria of some kind.Nathan.
    I would clean the faeces away, and keep it clear for a while before planting produce in that place. The fluffy substance is probably a bacteria of some kind.Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. fothers

clematis plugs

Lisa build a little frame to it sits in the pot this will help the new growth to be supported and if I was you don't be in a rush to put them out not before the end may, you will find by may they...
    Lisa build a little frame to it sits in the pot this will help the new growth to be supported and if I was you don't be in a rush to put them out not before the end may, you will find by may they will have grown three foot or so. Dave
    Lisa build a little frame to it sits in the pot this will help the new growth to be supported and if I was you don't be in a rush to put them out not before the end may, you will find by may they will have grown three foot or so. Dave
    Lisa build a little frame to it sits in the pot this will help the new growth to be supported and if I was you don't be in a rush to put them out not before the end may, you will find by may they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Laura

Delphiniums

Lets hope it was one sprouting. Any way I would not think a month is an excessive amount of time. especially considering they have been moved around quite a bit. Dont let them get frosted just...
    Lets hope it was one sprouting. Any way I would not think a month is an excessive amount of time. especially considering they have been moved around quite a bit. Dont let them get frosted just incase they are on the move.
    Lets hope it was one sprouting. Any way I would not think a month is an excessive amount of time. especially considering they have been moved around quite a bit. Dont let them get frosted just incase they are on the move.
    Lets hope it was one sprouting. Any way I would not think a month is an excessive amount of time. especially considering they have been moved around quite a bit. Dont let them get frosted just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. angie

North West Facing Garden

My husband is big on sunbathing and I am big on growing things so this is pretty good news. Thank you.
    My husband is big on sunbathing and I am big on growing things so this is pretty good news. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Glen

Clay

I would think that as the garden has been under some kind of cultivation, when you say clay, you mean a clay soil. Which although heavy is not a problem, I also have clay, and if you treat it...
    I would think that as the garden has been under some kind of cultivation, when you say clay, you mean a clay soil. Which although heavy is not a problem, I also have clay, and if you treat it right its O K. Firstly you have to wait till spring until it starts to dry out digging and walking on...
    I would think that as the garden has been under some kind of cultivation, when you say clay, you mean a clay soil. Which although heavy is not a problem, I also have clay, and if you treat it right its O K. Firstly you have to wait till spring...
    I would think that as the garden has been under some kind of cultivation, when you say clay, you mean a clay soil. Which although heavy is not a problem, I also have clay, and if you treat it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. mike h

any ideas plse?

virburnums thrive in clay and dont mind shade, there are also many types with flowers in the winter months
    virburnums thrive in clay and dont mind shade, there are also many types with flowers in the winter months
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve

Can you help

Steve,Cheshire Gardening Club, you could also call on 0161 962 5381. Could be a start.Nathan.
    Steve,Cheshire Gardening Club, you could also call on 0161 962 5381. Could be a start.Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. LittleD

hedges for screen

Sounds like the conifers are pretty big. If so I would asume it could be a bit difficult to establish a hedge close to the base of these trees. Due to the conifers taking all the moisture and food...
    Sounds like the conifers are pretty big. If so I would asume it could be a bit difficult to establish a hedge close to the base of these trees. Due to the conifers taking all the moisture and food from the soil. If anything can manage it privet can, although the gold leaved one dosen't grow as...
    Sounds like the conifers are pretty big. If so I would asume it could be a bit difficult to establish a hedge close to the base of these trees. Due to the conifers taking all the moisture and food from the soil. If anything can manage it privet...
    Sounds like the conifers are pretty big. If so I would asume it could be a bit difficult to establish a hedge close to the base of these trees. Due to the conifers taking all the moisture and food...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. melvin

magnolia's

Sounds like M. stellata or similar? Only transplant when dormant (no leaf buds showing). Take as much rootball and soil as you can lift. Dig a planting hole to the same size and add some compost...
    Sounds like M. stellata or similar? Only transplant when dormant (no leaf buds showing). Take as much rootball and soil as you can lift. Dig a planting hole to the same size and add some compost to the fill. Replant and firm soil well (don't allow the plant to rock in the wind. Water well (avoid...
    Sounds like M. stellata or similar? Only transplant when dormant (no leaf buds showing). Take as much rootball and soil as you can lift. Dig a planting hole to the same size and add some compost to the fill. Replant and firm soil well (don't...
    Sounds like M. stellata or similar? Only transplant when dormant (no leaf buds showing). Take as much rootball and soil as you can lift. Dig a planting hole to the same size and add some compost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Pauli

Geranium

Geranium endressii and G. x oxonianum families both produce lots of leaves and flowers. Cut them hard back as soon as flowering finishes and you will get a repeat show of flowers later in the...
    Geranium endressii and G. x oxonianum families both produce lots of leaves and flowers. Cut them hard back as soon as flowering finishes and you will get a repeat show of flowers later in the season. It also avoids all the inferior seedlings as they cross hybridise easily. We use a strimmer here...
    Geranium endressii and G. x oxonianum families both produce lots of leaves and flowers. Cut them hard back as soon as flowering finishes and you will get a repeat show of flowers later in the season. It also avoids all the inferior seedlings as...
    Geranium endressii and G. x oxonianum families both produce lots of leaves and flowers. Cut them hard back as soon as flowering finishes and you will get a repeat show of flowers later in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kath57

Stipa Gigantia

Thanks for that Pete, will give them the chop, neighbours cat has now decided to use one of the as a looRegards Kathleen
    Thanks for that Pete, will give them the chop, neighbours cat has now decided to use one of the as a looRegards Kathleen
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. holly

hedge prob

Holly I've found an artical in the R H S journal May 2003. Box blight (cylindrocladium buxicola). Basically it says:- 'brown spots on leaves which fall rapidly, black streaks on small...
    Holly I've found an artical in the R H S journal May 2003. Box blight (cylindrocladium buxicola). Basically it says:- 'brown spots on leaves which fall rapidly, black streaks on small stems. Can survive for more than a year in the soil Fungicide containing penconazole (scotts fungus...
    Holly I've found an artical in the R H S journal May 2003. Box blight (cylindrocladium buxicola). Basically it says:- 'brown spots on leaves which fall rapidly, black streaks on small stems. Can survive for more than a year in the soil ...
    Holly I've found an artical in the R H S journal May 2003. Box blight (cylindrocladium buxicola). Basically it says:- 'brown spots on leaves which fall rapidly, black streaks on small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JAB

Any suggestions for a "dwarf" hedge ?

Sorry JAB but I have a correction to make I should have said Euonymus, not Eleagnus.I tend to get them two mixed up.I've looked it up now ,Euonymus Fortunei varietys.
    Sorry JAB but I have a correction to make I should have said Euonymus, not Eleagnus.I tend to get them two mixed up.I've looked it up now ,Euonymus Fortunei varietys.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JackD

Black Hyacinths

Ha ha ............Midnight Mystique , I have 3 bulbs on order !!Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. MarkO

Online Dahlias?

Nice one.
    Nice one.
    Nice one.
    Nice one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Barbara

Bougainvilla in Conservatory

The white dusty stuff, was probably mildew it might come back, if so spray with a fungicide. I would wait and cut back in spring, how hard depends on how much space you have. Cut hard and you will...
    The white dusty stuff, was probably mildew it might come back, if so spray with a fungicide. I would wait and cut back in spring, how hard depends on how much space you have. Cut hard and you will probably get fast new growth at the expence of flowers.pete2255
    The white dusty stuff, was probably mildew it might come back, if so spray with a fungicide. I would wait and cut back in spring, how hard depends on how much space you have. Cut hard and you will probably get fast new growth at the expence of...
    The white dusty stuff, was probably mildew it might come back, if so spray with a fungicide. I would wait and cut back in spring, how hard depends on how much space you have. Cut hard and you will...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice