General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Grays

Correct time to move from pots to the ground?

Autumn is generally a good time to plant so long as your plants are a reasonable size. Foxgloves should be OK, mine seed themselves, but slugs love lupins. They will attack them in spring just as...
    Autumn is generally a good time to plant so long as your plants are a reasonable size. Foxgloves should be OK, mine seed themselves, but slugs love lupins. They will attack them in spring just as they emerge if they are small plants. I would cut down the flowers of the achillea.
    Autumn is generally a good time to plant so long as your plants are a reasonable size. Foxgloves should be OK, mine seed themselves, but slugs love lupins. They will attack them in spring just as they emerge if they are small plants. I would cut...
    Autumn is generally a good time to plant so long as your plants are a reasonable size. Foxgloves should be OK, mine seed themselves, but slugs love lupins. They will attack them in spring just as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Donna Crossman

Nothing will thrive in my no dig bed

Thanks so much for the advice guys I think I might dig it all over as suggested
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. jumanji

Cutting back this wild rose bush

To do that I would need it to flower again (the desired rose) which won't happen now until next year (I believe).Would a better plan be to cut the rose back completely to the lowest point say 12...
    To do that I would need it to flower again (the desired rose) which won't happen now until next year (I believe).Would a better plan be to cut the rose back completely to the lowest point say 12 inches or so off the ground?
    To do that I would need it to flower again (the desired rose) which won't happen now until next year (I believe).Would a better plan be to cut the rose back completely to the lowest point say 12 inches or so off the ground?
    To do that I would need it to flower again (the desired rose) which won't happen now until next year (I believe).Would a better plan be to cut the rose back completely to the lowest point say 12...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Matt Wardman

How to keep donated Ferns for future use?

Thank you all.I have lots of sites, but most of them are currently obscured, in the Bilbo Baggins "Mirkwood" sense of obscured, albeit mainly by apple trees, Himalayan Giant blackberries (I'm a...
    Thank you all.I have lots of sites, but most of them are currently obscured, in the Bilbo Baggins "Mirkwood" sense of obscured, albeit mainly by apple trees, Himalayan Giant blackberries (I'm a blackberry vinegar fiend) and wisterias.
    Thank you all.I have lots of sites, but most of them are currently obscured, in the Bilbo Baggins "Mirkwood" sense of obscured, albeit mainly by apple trees, Himalayan Giant blackberries (I'm a blackberry vinegar fiend) and wisterias.
    Thank you all.I have lots of sites, but most of them are currently obscured, in the Bilbo Baggins "Mirkwood" sense of obscured, albeit mainly by apple trees, Himalayan Giant blackberries (I'm a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. micearguers

Gymnastic butterfly

When I search 'butterfly on tree trunk' I get a few images returned with butterflies doing a headstand, and they mostly seem to be painted ladies or red admirals. Intriguing, but best I don't...
    When I search 'butterfly on tree trunk' I get a few images returned with butterflies doing a headstand, and they mostly seem to be painted ladies or red admirals. Intriguing, but best I don't spend another x hours spelunking the depths of the internet ..
    When I search 'butterfly on tree trunk' I get a few images returned with butterflies doing a headstand, and they mostly seem to be painted ladies or red admirals. Intriguing, but best I don't spend another x hours spelunking the depths of the...
    When I search 'butterfly on tree trunk' I get a few images returned with butterflies doing a headstand, and they mostly seem to be painted ladies or red admirals. Intriguing, but best I don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. silexa

Hellebore from J Parker’s isn’t looking great

I have complained on J Parkers WhatsApp thing - but it seems to now be ignoring me. Currently sat on hold on the phone with them :)
    I have complained on J Parkers WhatsApp thing - but it seems to now be ignoring me. Currently sat on hold on the phone with them :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ricky101

Standard Fuchsia - Life ?

Not many places in the UK where you could leave a standard out all winter I would have thought.
    Not many places in the UK where you could leave a standard out all winter I would have thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Alan Clark
    Like x 7

The Garden Museum, London

Always used to visit here when I worked in London. Worth knowing that the John Tradescants, father and son, are both buried in an elaborate stone sarcophagus in the back 'garden'. Lovely,...
    Always used to visit here when I worked in London. Worth knowing that the John Tradescants, father and son, are both buried in an elaborate stone sarcophagus in the back 'garden'. Lovely, peaceful place, worth visiting if only to honour the memory of those two great explorers, collectors and...
    Always used to visit here when I worked in London. Worth knowing that the John Tradescants, father and son, are both buried in an elaborate stone sarcophagus in the back 'garden'. Lovely, peaceful place, worth visiting if only to honour the...
    Always used to visit here when I worked in London. Worth knowing that the John Tradescants, father and son, are both buried in an elaborate stone sarcophagus in the back 'garden'. Lovely,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Sheal
    Like x 17

The new garden

Sweet memories @fairygirl and you couldn't find a better place to spend your holidays. :)Back on thread - I've done nothing in the garden for the best part of a fortnight due to the weather and...
    Sweet memories @fairygirl and you couldn't find a better place to spend your holidays. :)Back on thread - I've done nothing in the garden for the best part of a fortnight due to the weather and having family with me for a week. It looks like conditions will improve next week, so I'll be back out...
    Sweet memories @fairygirl and you couldn't find a better place to spend your holidays. :)Back on thread - I've done nothing in the garden for the best part of a fortnight due to the weather and having family with me for a week. It looks like...
    Sweet memories @fairygirl and you couldn't find a better place to spend your holidays. :)Back on thread - I've done nothing in the garden for the best part of a fortnight due to the weather and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. barryman

Help needed re garden tool

My arms are still not long enough for this one, its got the pullies to give you the advantage, so it cuts really easily but, it just involves so much cord length to close the cutter. Mine hasn't...
    My arms are still not long enough for this one, its got the pullies to give you the advantage, so it cuts really easily but, it just involves so much cord length to close the cutter. Mine hasn't got a wooden handle but it did come with a silly plastic thing to wind the cord round.
    My arms are still not long enough for this one, its got the pullies to give you the advantage, so it cuts really easily but, it just involves so much cord length to close the cutter. Mine hasn't got a wooden handle but it did come with a silly...
    My arms are still not long enough for this one, its got the pullies to give you the advantage, so it cuts really easily but, it just involves so much cord length to close the cutter. Mine hasn't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MCardiff

Question about no dig gardening

Hakonechloa grows really well here I have H. aurea/aureum, as the variegation's nice, but it loses that if in more shade. It likes plenty of moisture so it's very happy in my garden whether in a...
    Hakonechloa grows really well here I have H. aurea/aureum, as the variegation's nice, but it loses that if in more shade. It likes plenty of moisture so it's very happy in my garden whether in a raised bed or directly in the ground, and in plenty of sun. Despite creating shelter from wind, my...
    Hakonechloa grows really well here I have H. aurea/aureum, as the variegation's nice, but it loses that if in more shade. It likes plenty of moisture so it's very happy in my garden whether in a raised bed or directly in the ground, and in...
    Hakonechloa grows really well here I have H. aurea/aureum, as the variegation's nice, but it loses that if in more shade. It likes plenty of moisture so it's very happy in my garden whether in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Robert Bowen

Blind chinese witch hazel

@Goldenlily26 Thank you for your input , i shall monitor this over the winter months and assess the way forward . The only vertical stem ends with two horizontal stems , so i shall take photos...
    @Goldenlily26 Thank you for your input , i shall monitor this over the winter months and assess the way forward . The only vertical stem ends with two horizontal stems , so i shall take photos over the coming months and monitor the changes , i am also inclined to cut back but i know this is a...
    @Goldenlily26 Thank you for your input , i shall monitor this over the winter months and assess the way forward . The only vertical stem ends with two horizontal stems , so i shall take photos over the coming months and monitor the changes , i am...
    @Goldenlily26 Thank you for your input , i shall monitor this over the winter months and assess the way forward . The only vertical stem ends with two horizontal stems , so i shall take photos...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. fumanchu
    Friendly x 13

Sad to say..

Yes it's in the High St he seems very well known here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. CatDouch
    Like x 9

Photos of Dahlias 2024

Bishop of Llandaff. Another slow starter that has spent the summer in the greenhouse.
    Bishop of Llandaff. Another slow starter that has spent the summer in the greenhouse.
    IMG_4256.jpeg IMG_4207.jpeg IMG_4240.jpeg IMG_4259.jpeg IMG_4260.jpeg IMG_2812.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

Thank you. Benign neglect seems to work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. John Bradley

300mm of topsoil –> over a metre of compacted clay!!

Yes they have! I think I might go with French drain and dump it all into a soakaway thats the only way I can see to sort it? Thanks for the help though
    Yes they have! I think I might go with French drain and dump it all into a soakaway thats the only way I can see to sort it? Thanks for the help though
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mattyp

When a north facing garden is south facing

Thanks again. I do have an app for this and is useful to have I agree.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice