1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbs and Wildflowers

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Very_British

The herbs project has gone down like a lead balloon!

Greetings to All above, I'm happy to report that apart from the rosemary having to be thrown away (we've since bought more and is still with us), the flat-leaf parsley and basil made quite a...
    Greetings to All above, I'm happy to report that apart from the rosemary having to be thrown away (we've since bought more and is still with us), the flat-leaf parsley and basil made quite a good recovery and we've been fortunate to have had a regular-ish supply ever since. My thanks to...
    Greetings to All above, I'm happy to report that apart from the rosemary having to be thrown away (we've since bought more and is still with us), the flat-leaf parsley and basil made quite a good recovery and we've been fortunate to have had a...
    Greetings to All above, I'm happy to report that apart from the rosemary having to be thrown away (we've since bought more and is still with us), the flat-leaf parsley and basil made quite a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. tjrundy

I need help to grow some culinary herbs in water crystals

I have tried it, with dismal results. I remember there used to be a tub you could buy-like a yogurt pot that baby bio used to make, and my mum grew some stuff in it but mostly it was rubbish. ...
    I have tried it, with dismal results. I remember there used to be a tub you could buy-like a yogurt pot that baby bio used to make, and my mum grew some stuff in it but mostly it was rubbish. I tried it with cuttings. The plugs you buy are grown in gel but they are in a tiny pot which...
    I have tried it, with dismal results. I remember there used to be a tub you could buy-like a yogurt pot that baby bio used to make, and my mum grew some stuff in it but mostly it was rubbish. I tried it with cuttings. The plugs you buy...
    I have tried it, with dismal results. I remember there used to be a tub you could buy-like a yogurt pot that baby bio used to make, and my mum grew some stuff in it but mostly it was rubbish. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GroovyGran

No Luck with Herbs

I agree with everything others have said here. I hope I haven't overlooked this in someone else's answer, but if you don't do it already, one good piece of advice is always to turn the herbs in...
    I agree with everything others have said here. I hope I haven't overlooked this in someone else's answer, but if you don't do it already, one good piece of advice is always to turn the herbs in pots on a regular basis, so that every angle of the plant receives sunlight. Otherwise the plant...
    I agree with everything others have said here. I hope I haven't overlooked this in someone else's answer, but if you don't do it already, one good piece of advice is always to turn the herbs in pots on a regular basis, so that every angle of the...
    I agree with everything others have said here. I hope I haven't overlooked this in someone else's answer, but if you don't do it already, one good piece of advice is always to turn the herbs in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Petition to ban herbicide

I'm with Kristen on this, all the farmers I know care for and respect their environment.
    I'm with Kristen on this, all the farmers I know care for and respect their environment.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ming

ideal herb garden?

Lovage does flower, but its not that decorative. Yellowish umbilifera flowers at 3-7ft - but it does produce seeds which can be stored and used in winter. Lovage will grow in most conditions...
    Lovage does flower, but its not that decorative. Yellowish umbilifera flowers at 3-7ft - but it does produce seeds which can be stored and used in winter. Lovage will grow in most conditions except hot and dry but does best in a fertile soil that does not dry out. One plant will produce...
    Lovage does flower, but its not that decorative. Yellowish umbilifera flowers at 3-7ft - but it does produce seeds which can be stored and used in winter. Lovage will grow in most conditions except hot and dry but does best in a fertile soil...
    Lovage does flower, but its not that decorative. Yellowish umbilifera flowers at 3-7ft - but it does produce seeds which can be stored and used in winter. Lovage will grow in most conditions...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. kentishmaid

"herb garden"

I have Comfrey on my land. Its about the only thing I planted that the wild rabbits haven't touched:)
    I have Comfrey on my land. Its about the only thing I planted that the wild rabbits haven't touched:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. whis4ey

The Wildflower meadow

Looks excellent, a very satisfying progresion from the ploughed field last spring!
    Looks excellent, a very satisfying progresion from the ploughed field last spring!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. pattiw

Growing herbs in pots

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. BigBird

Chickweed...weed or herb?

Chickens love it, and yes it can be used as a herb both medicinally and just in food. Personally though I'd try to get rid of it. It soon takes over the place.
    Chickens love it, and yes it can be used as a herb both medicinally and just in food. Personally though I'd try to get rid of it. It soon takes over the place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. rosa

rosas wildflowers

thanks kandy for the lovely comments, these flowers are grown wild opposite peoples houses near their allotment plots they have
    thanks kandy for the lovely comments, these flowers are grown wild opposite peoples houses near their allotment plots they have
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. foxie

Sowing Herbs directly in the ground?

I want it to grow round the front, and the bed I made for it is round the back at the back door. I think the problem must be the soil being too poor and the water running downhill leaving the mint...
    I want it to grow round the front, and the bed I made for it is round the back at the back door. I think the problem must be the soil being too poor and the water running downhill leaving the mint always dry. I will try a big pot in the garden and keep it moist. Until I forget. LOL!
    I want it to grow round the front, and the bed I made for it is round the back at the back door. I think the problem must be the soil being too poor and the water running downhill leaving the mint always dry. I will try a big pot in the garden...
    I want it to grow round the front, and the bed I made for it is round the back at the back door. I think the problem must be the soil being too poor and the water running downhill leaving the mint...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Beginner

How to grow herbs all summer

I grow 3 x 5" pots of Basil with 3 plants in each. One pot is in the kitchen and the Chef :) takes what she wants, and when the plant looks a complete wreck I put it in the greenhouse and give Chef...
    I grow 3 x 5" pots of Basil with 3 plants in each. One pot is in the kitchen and the Chef :) takes what she wants, and when the plant looks a complete wreck I put it in the greenhouse and give Chef the best of the remaining two. By the time the third one has been murdered :) the first one has...
    I grow 3 x 5" pots of Basil with 3 plants in each. One pot is in the kitchen and the Chef :) takes what she wants, and when the plant looks a complete wreck I put it in the greenhouse and give Chef the best of the remaining two. By the time the...
    I grow 3 x 5" pots of Basil with 3 plants in each. One pot is in the kitchen and the Chef :) takes what she wants, and when the plant looks a complete wreck I put it in the greenhouse and give Chef...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lollipop

Herbaceous Divisions for Spring

Lobelia Queen Victoria are a delight to split. Because they are a dubiously hardy here in Yorkshire, I lift mine in autumn, splitting them as I go to get them into small pots, which I overwinter...
    Lobelia Queen Victoria are a delight to split. Because they are a dubiously hardy here in Yorkshire, I lift mine in autumn, splitting them as I go to get them into small pots, which I overwinter in a coldframe. Then in spring I remove them and a number can be split again. This way I have amassed...
    Lobelia Queen Victoria are a delight to split. Because they are a dubiously hardy here in Yorkshire, I lift mine in autumn, splitting them as I go to get them into small pots, which I overwinter in a coldframe. Then in spring I remove them and a...
    Lobelia Queen Victoria are a delight to split. Because they are a dubiously hardy here in Yorkshire, I lift mine in autumn, splitting them as I go to get them into small pots, which I overwinter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. timecharger

Wildflower seed - know of any cheap online merchants

I read as far as "its not that illegal" when I was about to post that you need a license. You already know that though:)The only trouble with growing hemp is that once the wrong person sees it and...
    I read as far as "its not that illegal" when I was about to post that you need a license. You already know that though:)The only trouble with growing hemp is that once the wrong person sees it and word gets out, you'll have all manner of people in your garden trying to smoke all your plants....
    I read as far as "its not that illegal" when I was about to post that you need a license. You already know that though:)The only trouble with growing hemp is that once the wrong person sees it and word gets out, you'll have all manner of people...
    I read as far as "its not that illegal" when I was about to post that you need a license. You already know that though:)The only trouble with growing hemp is that once the wrong person sees it and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Boghopper

medieval herb garden

Quite right, but it is often assumed that poisonous plants would have been used for sinister purposes. While I'm sure this may have happened from time to time, oddly enough poisonous plants were,...
    Quite right, but it is often assumed that poisonous plants would have been used for sinister purposes. While I'm sure this may have happened from time to time, oddly enough poisonous plants were, and still are to this day, used in medicine. Deadly Nightshade is used in herbal medicine to south...
    Quite right, but it is often assumed that poisonous plants would have been used for sinister purposes. While I'm sure this may have happened from time to time, oddly enough poisonous plants were, and still are to this day, used in medicine....
    Quite right, but it is often assumed that poisonous plants would have been used for sinister purposes. While I'm sure this may have happened from time to time, oddly enough poisonous plants were,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. jamiesmack

Commercial herb seed

Try D. T.Browns, Jamie. they are part of Mr Fothergills and do growers packs.:gnthb:
    Try D. T.Browns, Jamie. they are part of Mr Fothergills and do growers packs.:gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. jjdecay

Wild Flower

:lollol: You would have to stick your nose in it, as it is a delicate scent...:lollol:Not quite you really I agree......!!!!:lollol:These are my pink ones.. I knew I had a piccy somewhere... Not...
    :lollol: You would have to stick your nose in it, as it is a delicate scent...:lollol:Not quite you really I agree......!!!!:lollol:These are my pink ones.. I knew I had a piccy somewhere... Not the best of shots as I took it on the wrong setting I think looking at it.. I did have a few like...
    :lollol: You would have to stick your nose in it, as it is a delicate scent...:lollol:Not quite you really I agree......!!!!:lollol:These are my pink ones.. I knew I had a piccy somewhere... Not the best of shots as I took it on the wrong...
    :lollol: You would have to stick your nose in it, as it is a delicate scent...:lollol:Not quite you really I agree......!!!!:lollol:These are my pink ones.. I knew I had a piccy somewhere... Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Chatham Tangler

Wild garlic!

I like wild garlic. In my opinion it's flower brings some welcome cheer early on before most other stuff comes through, and you can use the leaves in all sorts of dishes.
    I like wild garlic. In my opinion it's flower brings some welcome cheer early on before most other stuff comes through, and you can use the leaves in all sorts of dishes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Loofah

Colourful herbs

Colourful sage varieties aplenty. Purple, yellow/green variegated, silver white. ALl good for the pot too. Perilla frutescens comes in astonishing shades of purple and carmine.Purple basil...
    Colourful sage varieties aplenty. Purple, yellow/green variegated, silver white. ALl good for the pot too. Perilla frutescens comes in astonishing shades of purple and carmine.Purple basil is easily available (also the seeds) and tastes great, somewhat different from most ofthe green ones....
    Colourful sage varieties aplenty. Purple, yellow/green variegated, silver white. ALl good for the pot too. Perilla frutescens comes in astonishing shades of purple and carmine.Purple basil is easily available (also the seeds) and tastes...
    Colourful sage varieties aplenty. Purple, yellow/green variegated, silver white. ALl good for the pot too. Perilla frutescens comes in astonishing shades of purple and carmine.Purple basil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. whis4ey

The wildflowers start in ernest

Yip ... if it develops to a suitable degree. Loads of buds now, but still to flower. No point taking a pic of grass :) Laurie ... Crocosmia is much more 'gardiny' if harder to spell :)
    Yip ... if it develops to a suitable degree. Loads of buds now, but still to flower. No point taking a pic of grass :) Laurie ... Crocosmia is much more 'gardiny' if harder to spell :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice