Herbs and Wildflowers

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nikolaos

Lawns and pollinator-friendly plants that grow in them

I've seen Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Bee Flies on the Ground Ivy, can't remember what's been on Bugle, seen Common Blues and Small Heaths on White Clover, and Painted Ladies, Peacocks,...
    I've seen Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Bee Flies on the Ground Ivy, can't remember what's been on Bugle, seen Common Blues and Small Heaths on White Clover, and Painted Ladies, Peacocks, Skippers and Meadow Browns on Red Clover.
    I've seen Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Bee Flies on the Ground Ivy, can't remember what's been on Bugle, seen Common Blues and Small Heaths on White Clover, and Painted Ladies, Peacocks, Skippers and Meadow Browns on Red Clover.
    I've seen Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Bee Flies on the Ground Ivy, can't remember what's been on Bugle, seen Common Blues and Small Heaths on White Clover, and Painted Ladies, Peacocks,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. luciusmaximus

Another wild flower ID

Since it is one of the most common roadside weeds around here, we pull it out in the garden long before any butterfly can lay eggs on it without worrying. It really is a seed weed of the first...
    Since it is one of the most common roadside weeds around here, we pull it out in the garden long before any butterfly can lay eggs on it without worrying. It really is a seed weed of the first order if you let it set seed.
    Since it is one of the most common roadside weeds around here, we pull it out in the garden long before any butterfly can lay eggs on it without worrying. It really is a seed weed of the first order if you let it set seed.
    Since it is one of the most common roadside weeds around here, we pull it out in the garden long before any butterfly can lay eggs on it without worrying. It really is a seed weed of the first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. luciusmaximus

Identification please

The pink flowers do look like Ladies Smock and the other plant could well be Wood Avens.. Why won't the Ladies Smock grow again after the grass has been cut? I did wait until it had finished...
    The pink flowers do look like Ladies Smock and the other plant could well be Wood Avens.. Why won't the Ladies Smock grow again after the grass has been cut? I did wait until it had finished flowering before cutting.
    The pink flowers do look like Ladies Smock and the other plant could well be Wood Avens.. Why won't the Ladies Smock grow again after the grass has been cut? I did wait until it had finished flowering before cutting.
    The pink flowers do look like Ladies Smock and the other plant could well be Wood Avens.. Why won't the Ladies Smock grow again after the grass has been cut? I did wait until it had finished...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fat Controller
    Like x 5

Cowslips

These are on the South Downs, Jevington, East Sussex. They love the chalk soil. A joy to see and take pictures of them, Jenny namaste
    These are on the South Downs, Jevington, East Sussex. They love the chalk soil. A joy to see and take pictures of them, Jenny namaste
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Gn0me

Creating a herb garden on the garage wall

Just looking at your picture, is the wall in shade? If so, I believe that may limit which herbs will grow well. I absolutely love the pallet idea and was thinking of doing the same, until someone...
    Just looking at your picture, is the wall in shade? If so, I believe that may limit which herbs will grow well. I absolutely love the pallet idea and was thinking of doing the same, until someone pointed out my wall was completely north facing and never ever got a drop of direct sunlight.
    Just looking at your picture, is the wall in shade? If so, I believe that may limit which herbs will grow well. I absolutely love the pallet idea and was thinking of doing the same, until someone pointed out my wall was completely north facing...
    Just looking at your picture, is the wall in shade? If so, I believe that may limit which herbs will grow well. I absolutely love the pallet idea and was thinking of doing the same, until someone...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Philip Hughes

Planting wildflower seeds

Hi are you doing that onto prepared ground, or can i be lazy and do the same onto the bottom half of my grassTony
    Hi are you doing that onto prepared ground, or can i be lazy and do the same onto the bottom half of my grassTony
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Mel03

Year 2 wildflower area

Usually in a wildflower mix there's a mix of perennial and annual, not sure if there's any perennial in that mix. I'd dig up the grasses and perhaps put some seed in its place.
    Usually in a wildflower mix there's a mix of perennial and annual, not sure if there's any perennial in that mix. I'd dig up the grasses and perhaps put some seed in its place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Coffee

Last year's wildflowers

Thx... I'll do this going forward
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. SimonZ
    Like x 3

Purple toadflax

Envy you the pink - never seen it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. SimonZ
    Like x 4

Autumn Gorse

Once heard that according to the laws of aerodynamics bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly. :biggrin:
    Once heard that according to the laws of aerodynamics bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. SimonZ

Wild campanulas?

As you've mentioned 'delicate' common blue bells Mike, i have always been puzzled (and delighted) with mine. I've never planted ANY but there are swathes of them in the shaded areas of my...
    As you've mentioned 'delicate' common blue bells Mike, i have always been puzzled (and delighted) with mine. I've never planted ANY but there are swathes of them in the shaded areas of my garden. There is also 'white bells' within them too (superb!) I can only think that because this area is...
    As you've mentioned 'delicate' common blue bells Mike, i have always been puzzled (and delighted) with mine. I've never planted ANY but there are swathes of them in the shaded areas of my garden. There is also 'white bells' within them too...
    As you've mentioned 'delicate' common blue bells Mike, i have always been puzzled (and delighted) with mine. I've never planted ANY but there are swathes of them in the shaded areas of my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Chrislisi1982

What can I put in this gap in my flowerbed?

Good point Sheal. I'd assumed this was a slight mis-posting, since they didn't say much about it having to be one of them.Most evergreen herbs are vaguely Mediterranean, so they don't respond...
    Good point Sheal. I'd assumed this was a slight mis-posting, since they didn't say much about it having to be one of them.Most evergreen herbs are vaguely Mediterranean, so they don't respond too well to soggy British clay. Lavender and rosemary would generally fit the bill though, as long as...
    Good point Sheal. I'd assumed this was a slight mis-posting, since they didn't say much about it having to be one of them.Most evergreen herbs are vaguely Mediterranean, so they don't respond too well to soggy British clay. Lavender and...
    Good point Sheal. I'd assumed this was a slight mis-posting, since they didn't say much about it having to be one of them.Most evergreen herbs are vaguely Mediterranean, so they don't respond...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Max6389

Wild flower ID

We have Firecracker. As Palustris says, it spreads like mad. People seem to want it so we keep ours in hand by digging lots out each year, potting it up and selling it for charity. We always...
    We have Firecracker. As Palustris says, it spreads like mad. People seem to want it so we keep ours in hand by digging lots out each year, potting it up and selling it for charity. We always give a warning about being invasive but nobody takes any notice. :noidea:
    We have Firecracker. As Palustris says, it spreads like mad. People seem to want it so we keep ours in hand by digging lots out each year, potting it up and selling it for charity. We always give a warning about being invasive but nobody takes...
    We have Firecracker. As Palustris says, it spreads like mad. People seem to want it so we keep ours in hand by digging lots out each year, potting it up and selling it for charity. We always...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Wdyl

A little experiment in a wasted area of garden

This popped up the other day, hoping to see lots of these now!I had to go in to do some weeding so it's not that wild after all. The bind weed is just choking so many flowers
    This popped up the other day, hoping to see lots of these now!I had to go in to do some weeding so it's not that wild after all. The bind weed is just choking so many flowers
    IMG_20190416_165341.jpg IMG_20190416_165312.jpg IMG_20190416_165444.jpg IMG_20190416_165432.jpg IMG_20190901_183512.jpg IMG_20190830_170132.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kon

Mint in a Belfast sink

Mint grows in the banks of the streams going through my local park in very boggy ground. That is where I got the idea, my ground is mostly too dry for it, and if grown in the ground it is only...
    Mint grows in the banks of the streams going through my local park in very boggy ground. That is where I got the idea, my ground is mostly too dry for it, and if grown in the ground it is only available early spring.
    Mint grows in the banks of the streams going through my local park in very boggy ground. That is where I got the idea, my ground is mostly too dry for it, and if grown in the ground it is only available early spring.
    Mint grows in the banks of the streams going through my local park in very boggy ground. That is where I got the idea, my ground is mostly too dry for it, and if grown in the ground it is only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Steve Elliott

Wild Flower Blog

I will try to add to this shortly. Living on a small offshore island that is a wild flower meadow. The orchids here died back a while ago but we have fields of bog cotton. I mention wild flowers...
    I will try to add to this shortly. Living on a small offshore island that is a wild flower meadow. The orchids here died back a while ago but we have fields of bog cotton. I mention wild flowers on my own weblog and sometimes add images. islandanchorhold.blogspot.com. The bog cotton fascinates...
    I will try to add to this shortly. Living on a small offshore island that is a wild flower meadow. The orchids here died back a while ago but we have fields of bog cotton. I mention wild flowers on my own weblog and sometimes add images....
    I will try to add to this shortly. Living on a small offshore island that is a wild flower meadow. The orchids here died back a while ago but we have fields of bog cotton. I mention wild flowers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. strongylodon
    Like x 3

UK native Orchids

Four orchids seen at Badbury Rings, two I have never seen before. Pyramidal orchid.Common Spotted Orchid.Common Twayblade, not exactly a stunning plant and easily missed.Chalk Fragrant...
    Four orchids seen at Badbury Rings, two I have never seen before. Pyramidal orchid.Common Spotted Orchid.Common Twayblade, not exactly a stunning plant and easily missed.Chalk Fragrant Orchid.
    Four orchids seen at Badbury Rings, two I have never seen before. Pyramidal orchid.Common Spotted Orchid.Common Twayblade, not exactly a stunning plant and easily missed.Chalk Fragrant Orchid.
    Four orchids seen at Badbury Rings, two I have never seen before. Pyramidal orchid.Common Spotted Orchid.Common Twayblade, not exactly a stunning plant and easily missed.Chalk Fragrant...
    pyramidal 1.jpg com spot 1.JPG Common Twayblade.jpg Chalk Fragrant Orchid.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. landimad
    Like x 5

Sowing plenty

Given up on the Lavender and moved towards edible herbs. Borage coming alone lovely, Hyssop doing well and creeping thyme has shown interest. Finally my son has taken delivery of his fuchsia...
    Given up on the Lavender and moved towards edible herbs. Borage coming alone lovely, Hyssop doing well and creeping thyme has shown interest. Finally my son has taken delivery of his fuchsia cuttings that I done for him, after his dog set about eating all the ones they had over at his place.
    Given up on the Lavender and moved towards edible herbs. Borage coming alone lovely, Hyssop doing well and creeping thyme has shown interest. Finally my son has taken delivery of his fuchsia cuttings that I done for him, after his dog set about...
    Given up on the Lavender and moved towards edible herbs. Borage coming alone lovely, Hyssop doing well and creeping thyme has shown interest. Finally my son has taken delivery of his fuchsia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mrjackal

Wildflower identification

Many thanks. It was on our short list but couldn't find photo with "knobbly" stem like this. However now found Reseda Lutea, Wild Reseda, which has stem like ours. Thanks again
    Many thanks. It was on our short list but couldn't find photo with "knobbly" stem like this. However now found Reseda Lutea, Wild Reseda, which has stem like ours. Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Max6389

Wild flower ID

Forgot to mention the insects.They are probably aphids, and personally I wouldn't bother about insects on wild plants because they'll be food for other wild stuff like ladybirds. But if they...
    Forgot to mention the insects.They are probably aphids, and personally I wouldn't bother about insects on wild plants because they'll be food for other wild stuff like ladybirds. But if they were close to my veg such as broad or runner beans, I'd give them a spray of soapy water.
    Forgot to mention the insects.They are probably aphids, and personally I wouldn't bother about insects on wild plants because they'll be food for other wild stuff like ladybirds. But if they were close to my veg such as broad or runner beans,...
    Forgot to mention the insects.They are probably aphids, and personally I wouldn't bother about insects on wild plants because they'll be food for other wild stuff like ladybirds. But if they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice