1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbs and Wildflowers

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Stingo

More wildflowers discovered in my garden

Rich in wild flowers over here. ( Small Atlantic island). Violets, at least 2 kinds of buttercup, clover, speedwell ( my favourite) , daisies, vetch, trefoil, bog cotton, dandelion, plantains....
    Rich in wild flowers over here. ( Small Atlantic island). Violets, at least 2 kinds of buttercup, clover, speedwell ( my favourite) , daisies, vetch, trefoil, bog cotton, dandelion, plantains. nettles of course. Many more emerging. The back patch has been left go wild before I came.
    Rich in wild flowers over here. ( Small Atlantic island). Violets, at least 2 kinds of buttercup, clover, speedwell ( my favourite) , daisies, vetch, trefoil, bog cotton, dandelion, plantains. nettles of course. Many more emerging. The back...
    Rich in wild flowers over here. ( Small Atlantic island). Violets, at least 2 kinds of buttercup, clover, speedwell ( my favourite) , daisies, vetch, trefoil, bog cotton, dandelion, plantains....
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Max6389

Wild plant identification

Second picture definitely looks like herb robert
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. CharlesAC

Is it possible to save this one ?

I've got fairly neutral soil with the occasionaly lump of chalk in it, but manage to get away with growing a couple of camellias and a small rhodo.I think its probably the chippings that are...
    I've got fairly neutral soil with the occasionaly lump of chalk in it, but manage to get away with growing a couple of camellias and a small rhodo.I think its probably the chippings that are causing most of the problem, I'm assuming it was smaller than that when planted, so probably grew well...
    I've got fairly neutral soil with the occasionaly lump of chalk in it, but manage to get away with growing a couple of camellias and a small rhodo.I think its probably the chippings that are causing most of the problem, I'm assuming it was...
    I've got fairly neutral soil with the occasionaly lump of chalk in it, but manage to get away with growing a couple of camellias and a small rhodo.I think its probably the chippings that are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. kriss

Cornflowers - how many seeds?

Similar to Upsydaisy. I find that annuals and half hardy annuals are best when sown direct into the garden, they don't like being disturbed.I have my own theory on this. Annuals IMO have this...
    Similar to Upsydaisy. I find that annuals and half hardy annuals are best when sown direct into the garden, they don't like being disturbed.I have my own theory on this. Annuals IMO have this kind of inbuilt mechanism. Their pupose is to grow fast, flower and set seed and die. Whereas...
    Similar to Upsydaisy. I find that annuals and half hardy annuals are best when sown direct into the garden, they don't like being disturbed.I have my own theory on this. Annuals IMO have this kind of inbuilt mechanism. Their pupose is to grow...
    Similar to Upsydaisy. I find that annuals and half hardy annuals are best when sown direct into the garden, they don't like being disturbed.I have my own theory on this. Annuals IMO have this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Warwick lad

Sowing wild flowers.

Hi,Doubt it, think removing the mulch so the seed comes into good contact with the soil is the right way.They usually suggest spreading the seed and then gently raking in and firming down and...
    Hi,Doubt it, think removing the mulch so the seed comes into good contact with the soil is the right way.They usually suggest spreading the seed and then gently raking in and firming down and a very gentle watering if needed.Think with most wild flowers they like poor soil so to out...
    Hi,Doubt it, think removing the mulch so the seed comes into good contact with the soil is the right way.They usually suggest spreading the seed and then gently raking in and firming down and a very gentle watering if needed.Think with...
    Hi,Doubt it, think removing the mulch so the seed comes into good contact with the soil is the right way.They usually suggest spreading the seed and then gently raking in and firming down and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Eden1

Wild flower mix

Hi,Thanks Eden1. Yes I've also read this and once the plants are cut down they can lay on the ground a couple of weeks; the meadow is at the top of the mountain out of sight of the...
    Hi,Thanks Eden1. Yes I've also read this and once the plants are cut down they can lay on the ground a couple of weeks; the meadow is at the top of the mountain out of sight of the bungalow.The way the rain has been pounding down I think the plants will be horizontal now without waiting for...
    Hi,Thanks Eden1. Yes I've also read this and once the plants are cut down they can lay on the ground a couple of weeks; the meadow is at the top of the mountain out of sight of the bungalow.The way the rain has been pounding down I think the...
    Hi,Thanks Eden1. Yes I've also read this and once the plants are cut down they can lay on the ground a couple of weeks; the meadow is at the top of the mountain out of sight of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. crocus
    Like x 9

massive opium poppy

Two more in flower today..
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. NigelJ

Snakeshead Fritillary Survey

Interesting. I planted half a dozen in the rockery three years ago and four of them survived, popping up every spring: one of them has a double head and looks very exotic next to the cowslips and...
    Interesting. I planted half a dozen in the rockery three years ago and four of them survived, popping up every spring: one of them has a double head and looks very exotic next to the cowslips and primrose. One also pops up through a cloud of rockcress further up the garden in an old breezeblock...
    Interesting. I planted half a dozen in the rockery three years ago and four of them survived, popping up every spring: one of them has a double head and looks very exotic next to the cowslips and primrose. One also pops up through a cloud of...
    Interesting. I planted half a dozen in the rockery three years ago and four of them survived, popping up every spring: one of them has a double head and looks very exotic next to the cowslips and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

NEW PHOTO COMP

:yay: We have a new photo comp which I am sure you will all have a photo for.! :yay: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    :yay: We have a new photo comp which I am sure you will all have a photo for.! :yay: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. kr236rk

Herb Garden Disaster :(

Loathe chives :biggrin: dug the ones out I originally planted several years ago, they are too whiffy for me :D Can't believe I got my mint back, will be savoring some with cooked peas soon :) Wonder what...
    Loathe chives :biggrin: dug the ones out I originally planted several years ago, they are too whiffy for me :D Can't believe I got my mint back, will be savoring some with cooked peas soon :) Wonder what else will come up? The grass is a nuisance, muscles in everywhere! The oregano is flourishing, but I...
    Loathe chives :biggrin: dug the ones out I originally planted several years ago, they are too whiffy for me :D Can't believe I got my mint back, will be savoring some with cooked peas soon :) Wonder what else will come up? The grass is a nuisance, muscles...
    Loathe chives :biggrin: dug the ones out I originally planted several years ago, they are too whiffy for me :D Can't believe I got my mint back, will be savoring some with cooked peas soon :) Wonder what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. luciusmaximus

Confirmation on these please

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Nosivad

How to propagate these poppies

:heehee: When I first glanced at this I thought it said 'how do I propagate 'puppies'. :whistle:I have some Danish Flag and Black Peony Poppy seeds and look forward to seeing results. In saying that, I have...
    :heehee: When I first glanced at this I thought it said 'how do I propagate 'puppies'. :whistle:I have some Danish Flag and Black Peony Poppy seeds and look forward to seeing results. In saying that, I have never had success with Poppies after many attempts! :scratch:
    :heehee: When I first glanced at this I thought it said 'how do I propagate 'puppies'. :whistle:I have some Danish Flag and Black Peony Poppy seeds and look forward to seeing results. In saying that, I have never had success with Poppies after many attempts! :scratch:
    :heehee: When I first glanced at this I thought it said 'how do I propagate 'puppies'. :whistle:I have some Danish Flag and Black Peony Poppy seeds and look forward to seeing results. In saying that, I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

WILD FLOWERS YOU HAVE SEEN WHILST OUT WALKING 2018

Link To New ThreadWILDFLOWERS YOUHAVE SEEN WHILE OUT WALKING 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Warwick lad

Will they survive??

Thanks, everyone I really want them to take off as the flavour of the parent bush is just great, so strong. BJ.
    Thanks, everyone I really want them to take off as the flavour of the parent bush is just great, so strong. BJ.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mabs W

Help needed please

Hi Zigs Thank you for further information, I'm very grateful. If I achieve any level of success, I'll be sure to post a photo next year.
    Hi Zigs Thank you for further information, I'm very grateful. If I achieve any level of success, I'll be sure to post a photo next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. luciusmaximus

Making poor soil

It's a bit late to comment but in case it's still relevant, I hade this same problem and on advice from the supplier of wild flower turf, I stripped all of the top soil away from what had been a...
    It's a bit late to comment but in case it's still relevant, I hade this same problem and on advice from the supplier of wild flower turf, I stripped all of the top soil away from what had been a well fed veg patch. The resultant 5o sq mt of wild flowers are well worth the effort.
    It's a bit late to comment but in case it's still relevant, I hade this same problem and on advice from the supplier of wild flower turf, I stripped all of the top soil away from what had been a well fed veg patch. The resultant 5o sq mt of...
    It's a bit late to comment but in case it's still relevant, I hade this same problem and on advice from the supplier of wild flower turf, I stripped all of the top soil away from what had been a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mowerman

Field Horse Tails - Advice Appreciated

I'm not quite sure where you get the 4ltrs from?I don't think there is a fundamental difference - apart from strength - from the commercially available glysophate and that whereby Roundup rob...
    I'm not quite sure where you get the 4ltrs from?I don't think there is a fundamental difference - apart from strength - from the commercially available glysophate and that whereby Roundup rob the general public selling in small quantities? I've been using the commercial kind for many years...
    I'm not quite sure where you get the 4ltrs from?I don't think there is a fundamental difference - apart from strength - from the commercially available glysophate and that whereby Roundup rob the general public selling in small quantities? ...
    I'm not quite sure where you get the 4ltrs from?I don't think there is a fundamental difference - apart from strength - from the commercially available glysophate and that whereby Roundup rob...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. luciusmaximus

Toadflax

A bit like some people :rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul Blackburn

Snowdrops and Bluebells

Here are the snowflakes in flower as of friday. 50mm fixed lens.50mm fixed lens with a 21mm extention tube
    Here are the snowflakes in flower as of friday. 50mm fixed lens.50mm fixed lens with a 21mm extention tube
    003.JPG 008.JPG 005.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0659a.jpg IMG_0655a.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. luciusmaximus
    Like x 3

Is this a Violet

Yup, that's a violet! If you look behind the flower, there are the typical heart-shaped leaves.
    Yup, that's a violet! If you look behind the flower, there are the typical heart-shaped leaves.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice