1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbs and Wildflowers

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Mowerman

Getting rid of Green Alkanet (Pentaglottis sempervirens).. help

One of my customers' garden has this stuff growing all over the place in borders.The tap roots on it are like nothing I've ever seen. They are well over an inch thick and go down longer than a...
    One of my customers' garden has this stuff growing all over the place in borders.The tap roots on it are like nothing I've ever seen. They are well over an inch thick and go down longer than a trench shovel can reach. It's incredibly hard to get them out without snapping the bottom off as they...
    One of my customers' garden has this stuff growing all over the place in borders.The tap roots on it are like nothing I've ever seen. They are well over an inch thick and go down longer than a trench shovel can reach. It's incredibly hard to...
    One of my customers' garden has this stuff growing all over the place in borders.The tap roots on it are like nothing I've ever seen. They are well over an inch thick and go down longer than a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Mowerman

Your Top 5 Worst Weeds

I find the roots get tangled:love30: any of my plants near couch grass I've just given up on:sad:
    I find the roots get tangled:love30: any of my plants near couch grass I've just given up on:sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Agent Orange
    Like x 3

Doing our bit for the bees and butterflies

Thanks, I have already found a prefered seller. Ebay is always the place to window shop!
    Thanks, I have already found a prefered seller. Ebay is always the place to window shop!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sian in Belgium

Best time for sowing a wildflower meadow - autumn or spring?

Ragged Robin for the shady/damp areas don't forget!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Anthony Rogers

Himalayan Balsam

You could ask the National Trust. They go rid of all this from the shores of Rydal Water.
    You could ask the National Trust. They go rid of all this from the shores of Rydal Water.
    2904-1378667926-d0057289f95cad1b970a47aa79e6608d.jpg 149_4991.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mowerman
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Penfound

Diagnosis and cure?

Looks a bit like physical damage to me, rather than pest or fugus.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. kazzawazza

Teatree

Victoria's in Portugal according to her profile. I've not knowingly seen it in the UK except under glass. I've seen it in tropical highland areas though, so do have a good look at the conditions...
    Victoria's in Portugal according to her profile. I've not knowingly seen it in the UK except under glass. I've seen it in tropical highland areas though, so do have a good look at the conditions it requires. Gardener's World tonight was talking about making sure tender stuff is in well drained...
    Victoria's in Portugal according to her profile. I've not knowingly seen it in the UK except under glass. I've seen it in tropical highland areas though, so do have a good look at the conditions it requires. Gardener's World tonight was talking...
    Victoria's in Portugal according to her profile. I've not knowingly seen it in the UK except under glass. I've seen it in tropical highland areas though, so do have a good look at the conditions...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. IceColdRum

Why did my Sage die?

Maybe I got lucky with this one. It's been in the top of herb pot for about 5 years with Oregano and has always done ok. This year it has exploded and smothered pots around it several times even...
    Maybe I got lucky with this one. It's been in the top of herb pot for about 5 years with Oregano and has always done ok. This year it has exploded and smothered pots around it several times even with some major pruning. Maybe a dose of Miracle Grow a few weeks ago did the trick. Gonna have to...
    Maybe I got lucky with this one. It's been in the top of herb pot for about 5 years with Oregano and has always done ok. This year it has exploded and smothered pots around it several times even with some major pruning. Maybe a dose of Miracle...
    Maybe I got lucky with this one. It's been in the top of herb pot for about 5 years with Oregano and has always done ok. This year it has exploded and smothered pots around it several times even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. "M"

Bramble Blossom Colour?

Oh dear :rolleyespink: You're one of *those* are you? :nonofinger:No bramble pie and cream for you then :pathd:
    Oh dear :rolleyespink: You're one of *those* are you? :nonofinger:No bramble pie and cream for you then :pathd:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sian in Belgium

Cornflower? Which one?!

@Palustris , I have plucked a stem (right down to the base of the plant), and taken some photos inside, for more balanced light. The stem, full opened flower, and a seed head. (Paper is a sheet of...
    @Palustris , I have plucked a stem (right down to the base of the plant), and taken some photos inside, for more balanced light. The stem, full opened flower, and a seed head. (Paper is a sheet of A4)A close up of the flowerA close up of the stem, with leaves (what leaves this plant has!)
    @Palustris , I have plucked a stem (right down to the base of the plant), and taken some photos inside, for more balanced light. The stem, full opened flower, and a seed head. (Paper is a sheet of A4)A close up of the flowerA close up of the...
    @Palustris , I have plucked a stem (right down to the base of the plant), and taken some photos inside, for more balanced light. The stem, full opened flower, and a seed head. (Paper is a sheet of...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. GardeningFanatic

Would these work?

I don't have any of that on my dry chalky hillside, however I reckon ferns and heuchera would be good. Others might know better than me.
    I don't have any of that on my dry chalky hillside, however I reckon ferns and heuchera would be good. Others might know better than me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 3

some interesting "basil" plants

Ah yes @Gay Gardener , that is Greek basil. I agree, it has a very good flavour, which is why I was so glad to get such a good plant. It also looks absolutely lovely when used as a garnish,...
    Ah yes @Gay Gardener , that is Greek basil. I agree, it has a very good flavour, which is why I was so glad to get such a good plant. It also looks absolutely lovely when used as a garnish, because it is so delicate. I have tried to grow some from seed (basil Aristotle), but the seedlings...
    Ah yes @Gay Gardener , that is Greek basil. I agree, it has a very good flavour, which is why I was so glad to get such a good plant. It also looks absolutely lovely when used as a garnish, because it is so delicate. I have tried to grow some...
    Ah yes @Gay Gardener , that is Greek basil. I agree, it has a very good flavour, which is why I was so glad to get such a good plant. It also looks absolutely lovely when used as a garnish,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Phil A

Focus on Herbs : Rosemary

Lots of ideas on veggie Rosemary use... Particularly fond of the Camembert one, and will try Rosemary bread soon (how much Rosemary per 500g of flour? White, wholemeal, or 2/3 1/3 mix -...
    Lots of ideas on veggie Rosemary use... Particularly fond of the Camembert one, and will try Rosemary bread soon (how much Rosemary per 500g of flour? White, wholemeal, or 2/3 1/3 mix - attractively called "grey" here?).If you use lentils and pulses, Rosemary goes really well. In a lentil...
    Lots of ideas on veggie Rosemary use... Particularly fond of the Camembert one, and will try Rosemary bread soon (how much Rosemary per 500g of flour? White, wholemeal, or 2/3 1/3 mix - attractively called "grey" here?).If you use lentils and...
    Lots of ideas on veggie Rosemary use... Particularly fond of the Camembert one, and will try Rosemary bread soon (how much Rosemary per 500g of flour? White, wholemeal, or 2/3 1/3 mix -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Phil A
    Like x 5

Mutant Daisy

Ahhh, the lesser stripy centred yellow come white caterpillar daisy. Rare, but not uncommon.
    Ahhh, the lesser stripy centred yellow come white caterpillar daisy. Rare, but not uncommon.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sarah Giles

When to plant on in my new herb bed

chives are a worthy addition, i have normal and garlic for variety. The flowers can be used in salads.
    chives are a worthy addition, i have normal and garlic for variety. The flowers can be used in salads.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. **Yvonne**
    Like x 3

Wildflower ID please?

Thank you Sian x
    Thank you Sian x
    Thank you Sian x
    Thank you Sian x
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. strongylodon
    Like x 9

First Orchids

Lovely Strongy :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Phil A
    Like x 11

Wildflowers of the Dorset hills

There are about 10 types of Horsetail Nick, this is one of the bigger ones :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. nFrost

'Coastal' Wildflower ID

That's the one Cinnamon, ta v much!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice