1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Kevin Cowans

First Lawn Cut of the Year?

Ha! I could have written this! :biggrin: I don't mow any more as it is too much for my back. I have a strimmer and I wave this around when things get desperate, but mostly I just ignore it.
    Ha! I could have written this! :biggrin: I don't mow any more as it is too much for my back. I have a strimmer and I wave this around when things get desperate, but mostly I just ignore it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Scotmac

Where to Start Improving Lawn

Thank you, @fairygirl, lots of useful advice there!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. welshone

Extreme rainfall - Lawn drainage holes

My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the water to a soak away at the low point of the garden. Either just trench and put drains in or strip...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the water to a soak away at the low point of the...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gareth71

Birds digging up new turf

Thanks for all your reply's, it's appreciated, I will look into getting netting put over areas that are needing replaced. Will look on amazon unless someone knows a better place to purchase.
    Thanks for all your reply's, it's appreciated, I will look into getting netting put over areas that are needing replaced. Will look on amazon unless someone knows a better place to purchase.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. DavidGarden

Why does my grass die?

Does that deciduous shrub on the left of your 2nd photograph cast a lot of shade in summer? That could affect the amount of rain that gets into the grass.
    Does that deciduous shrub on the left of your 2nd photograph cast a lot of shade in summer? That could affect the amount of rain that gets into the grass.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Clo_E

Have I killed my new lawn

Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nuno

Lawn is virtually all moss and weeds

Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does not leave a problem free area, because the conditions that allow moss persist. See above. Improve...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does not leave a problem free area, because the...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. grooster

Help and advice needed with a lawn please

If the problem is leatherjackets; then there is a nematode treatment you can water on. Soil temperature needs to be high enough. There is a similar treatment for chafer beetle grubs.
    If the problem is leatherjackets; then there is a nematode treatment you can water on. Soil temperature needs to be high enough. There is a similar treatment for chafer beetle grubs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. garden_novice

Partial Lawn Replacement Advice

OK, thanks for the comments everyone, I have a better picture now.Just two further questions before I contact the Bloke...* If I ask him to reseed it, what sort of month would it be when it...
    OK, thanks for the comments everyone, I have a better picture now.Just two further questions before I contact the Bloke...* If I ask him to reseed it, what sort of month would it be when it started to look like actual grass, rather than just bare earth? * If I asked him to returf it, what...
    OK, thanks for the comments everyone, I have a better picture now.Just two further questions before I contact the Bloke...* If I ask him to reseed it, what sort of month would it be when it started to look like actual grass, rather than just...
    OK, thanks for the comments everyone, I have a better picture now.Just two further questions before I contact the Bloke...* If I ask him to reseed it, what sort of month would it be when it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Joanna Louise

What Is Happening To My Grass?

Just for curiosity try putting some black polythene over the patch and leave overnight,in the morning turn it over and see if there are any critters there:blue thumb: may need to try t a couple of times.
    Just for curiosity try putting some black polythene over the patch and leave overnight,in the morning turn it over and see if there are any critters there:blue thumb: may need to try t a couple of times.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. AmandaJ

Terrible lawn…help please

Yes they will be worm casts, at this time of year they do make a mess. In a way they do long term good as they aerate the soil and indicate it is in good health.
    Yes they will be worm casts, at this time of year they do make a mess. In a way they do long term good as they aerate the soil and indicate it is in good health.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NoviceGardener2023

New Build Lawn Advice - 12 weeks in

I'm not sure which is best first and your welcome.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MaMu

New Lawn Prep and Fertilisation

Yes - fresh manure is no good for any plant, including turf or grass seed. If the soil's good already, it would be fine to just rake it over or give it a bit of forking to loosen it all, and then...
    Yes - fresh manure is no good for any plant, including turf or grass seed. If the soil's good already, it would be fine to just rake it over or give it a bit of forking to loosen it all, and then do the usual levelling and firming for the turf. You could keep all the manure for your beds and...
    Yes - fresh manure is no good for any plant, including turf or grass seed. If the soil's good already, it would be fine to just rake it over or give it a bit of forking to loosen it all, and then do the usual levelling and firming for the turf....
    Yes - fresh manure is no good for any plant, including turf or grass seed. If the soil's good already, it would be fine to just rake it over or give it a bit of forking to loosen it all, and then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Battynatty

Lawn replacement

If it were mine( oh I wish!), I would continue the mowing regime including the fortnightly, cut to 30mm and let the clippings remain.On a bi-monthly visit, I should spot weed, concentrating on...
    If it were mine( oh I wish!), I would continue the mowing regime including the fortnightly, cut to 30mm and let the clippings remain.On a bi-monthly visit, I should spot weed, concentrating on preventing any going to seed. This could be by chemical/vinegar or daisy grubber*.Concentrate upon a...
    If it were mine( oh I wish!), I would continue the mowing regime including the fortnightly, cut to 30mm and let the clippings remain.On a bi-monthly visit, I should spot weed, concentrating on preventing any going to seed. This could be by...
    If it were mine( oh I wish!), I would continue the mowing regime including the fortnightly, cut to 30mm and let the clippings remain.On a bi-monthly visit, I should spot weed, concentrating on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Paul L.

Levelling a lawn

I find grass will grow through if you only have a slight depression any thing more than an inch and it might struggle. It's best done when the grass is growing strongly, spring mostly.You need...
    I find grass will grow through if you only have a slight depression any thing more than an inch and it might struggle. It's best done when the grass is growing strongly, spring mostly.You need to keep it damp.
    I find grass will grow through if you only have a slight depression any thing more than an inch and it might struggle. It's best done when the grass is growing strongly, spring mostly.You need to keep it damp.
    I find grass will grow through if you only have a slight depression any thing more than an inch and it might struggle. It's best done when the grass is growing strongly, spring mostly.You need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Monty33

Ant Nematodes

Ants have never bothered us whatsoever and we eat most of our meals outside. I think they could possibly become an issue if you were sitting on the ground in traditional picnic fashion, but we eat...
    Ants have never bothered us whatsoever and we eat most of our meals outside. I think they could possibly become an issue if you were sitting on the ground in traditional picnic fashion, but we eat seated at a table so never an issue.We too have lots of ants in our lawns, paths and borders and...
    Ants have never bothered us whatsoever and we eat most of our meals outside. I think they could possibly become an issue if you were sitting on the ground in traditional picnic fashion, but we eat seated at a table so never an issue.We too have...
    Ants have never bothered us whatsoever and we eat most of our meals outside. I think they could possibly become an issue if you were sitting on the ground in traditional picnic fashion, but we eat...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Simon M

Have I killed some lawn with mould spray?!

Great, thanks again and for the welcome :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Henry9898

Please help identify this on my lawn...

Could well be one of the slime moulds. If so, harmless and short lived. Slime moulds on lawns / RHS Gardening
    Could well be one of the slime moulds. If so, harmless and short lived. Slime moulds on lawns / RHS Gardening
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Wilks

Help identify lawn issue

As I said earlier, I'm no grass expert, mine is mostly weeds.:biggrin: I just tend to know a bit about the basics.My personal approach would be, scarify, feed and water and keep cut, and see how it...
    As I said earlier, I'm no grass expert, mine is mostly weeds.:biggrin: I just tend to know a bit about the basics.My personal approach would be, scarify, feed and water and keep cut, and see how it goes.I think if you want to overseed, it might be best to wait a month or so, although it has been like...
    As I said earlier, I'm no grass expert, mine is mostly weeds.:biggrin: I just tend to know a bit about the basics.My personal approach would be, scarify, feed and water and keep cut, and see how it goes.I think if you want to overseed, it might be...
    As I said earlier, I'm no grass expert, mine is mostly weeds.:biggrin: I just tend to know a bit about the basics.My personal approach would be, scarify, feed and water and keep cut, and see how it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Drozich

Recently re-seeded lawn - brown patches

Looking at the pic again, I don't see any really problematic weeds. I'm afraid weeds are a given when establishing new grass. But I wouldn't worry unless there's anything particularly challenging...
    Looking at the pic again, I don't see any really problematic weeds. I'm afraid weeds are a given when establishing new grass. But I wouldn't worry unless there's anything particularly challenging like brambles in there. Once the grass is stronger and you start mowing regularly, the weeds will...
    Looking at the pic again, I don't see any really problematic weeds. I'm afraid weeds are a given when establishing new grass. But I wouldn't worry unless there's anything particularly challenging like brambles in there. Once the grass is stronger...
    Looking at the pic again, I don't see any really problematic weeds. I'm afraid weeds are a given when establishing new grass. But I wouldn't worry unless there's anything particularly challenging...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice